Levo Gen 2 Levo Comp 2020 - Considering an upgrade from Guide RE to Code RS

ohadbenita

Dec 23, 2022
Israel
Due to the Guide RE's levers blind spot and due to the fact that during high temps this issue increases,
I'm thinking about upgrading my stock Guide RE brakes with a SRAM Code RS brakes (new set offered by my LBS that's been removed from a new bike, unused).

I'm wondering how much of an upgrade is the code RS compared to the guide RE in terms of braking power & lever blind spots.

Thanks in advance guys.

Nerds On Dirt MTB

Feb 20, 2023
The PNW
Due to the Guide RE's levers blind spot and due to the fact that during high temps this issue increases,
I'm thinking about upgrading my stock Guide RE brakes with a SRAM Code RS brakes (new set offered by my LBS that's been removed from a new bike, unused).

I'm wondering how much of an upgrade is the code RS compared to the guide RE in terms of braking power & lever blind spots.

Thanks in advance guys.
Huge upgrade, Guides should only be used on trailbikes if you ask me, not on ebikes. Codes have way more stopping power and will fade a lot later. If you don't have at least 200mm rotors upgrade those as well.

ohadbenita

Dec 23, 2022
Israel
Huge upgrade, Guides should only be used on trailbikes if you ask me, not on ebikes. Codes have way more stopping power and will fade a lot later. If you don't have at least 200mm rotors upgrade those as well.
I currently use the stock rotors, what would you recommend ?

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
I made a considerable difference to my guide RE with decent brake pads - the CL VXR Pads and the Hope 2.3mm rotors. the standard rotors were shocking and would constantly warp on me as well.
one thing I still do with my brakes is bleed them regular, it makes a big difference.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
It would be better changing to Code RSC. Code RS gets you the swing lever ( S)..........Code RSC get you the swing lever (S) and contact point adjustment ( C).

unclezz

May 3, 2020
CZ
Go for different rotors as a first starting point. I switched to galfer (2mm thickness) on my code RS and i feel the difference already. I can’t believe how incredibly crappy sram rotors are.

Only issue is that pads are wearing like butter on hot bread.

I have to admit that after a few months of using Sram Code RS I really feel the difference in pure power compared to magura mt7 I have on another bike. With code’s you need much more power on the lever to stop the bike faster.

Lee c

Jan 31, 2022
Uk
Isn’t the guide re just the old code calliper with guide lever…. I Have guide re’s on my trail bike and have had code r brakes too, tbh couldn’t tell the difference. On the trail bike both were good but when I had code r’s on heavier ebike I didn’t think they were up to it , I know not the version you mentioned but something for reference, I switched to xt 4pot on sram 220mm rotors … very good upgrade, seems to not need as much lever pull to get good power compared to the codes it replaced, I did find that uberbike race matrix pads were a good improvement for the codes too

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles