• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Worth going tubeless?

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
For several years I’ve run tubes with Tannus armour and never had a puncture. Bike is kept outside in a metal bike shed and is exposed to wide fluctuations of temperature throughout the year. Current tyres (Nobby Nics) are perishing and tiny cracks across the surface like crazy paving. I’m assuming this is to do with the oven-like conditions in the bike shed during the summer and sub zero temps in winter.
So I bought some new tyres (Smart Sam). Thinking about trying a tubeless set up with them as I would then lose a lot of weight from not having the heavy Tannus armour or tubes.
My concerns however are..

1) the new tyres are probably not tubeless ready (Schwalbe Smart Sams, but at least my rims are.
2) Apparently sealant only lasts 6 months before it loses effectiveness
3). The wide temperature fluctuations in the bike shed could cause the sealant to dry out quickly and therefore I’ll need add more sealant / remove old sealant etc etc.

My Tannus set up is maintenance free but at a cost of some weight.

Is it really worth the hassle of going tubeless with these new tyres or should I just stick to the tubes and Tannus?

Tfitz

Mar 26, 2023
California
I broken spoke the other day. It tore my rim tape. Now I need to buy new rim tape. I haven’t taken the tube out. I guess I’ll run until I get a flat. If I ride in Arizona, I’ll run slime or tubeless. tubeless is more expensive. It depends on your riding conditions. If you don’t have sharp rocks or thorns, you don’t need tubeless.

iXi

E*POWAH Master
Feb 17, 2019
Brisbane
I run tubeless in front tyre and tannus and a tube in the rear. Because I skimp on tyre quality I also run the tannus in the rear, it provides good protection for cheaper tyres.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles