• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Tubeless Woes

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I changed my front tyre last week and it seemed to go well, however it was just killing me into a false sense of security. I went to check tyre pressures today, ready for Malvern tomorrow, and the tyre was flatter than an anorexic supermodel. All I did when I changed the tyre was that; change a tyre. It was already set up tubeless. Closer inspection revealed that it was leaking from the valve. So I tightened it up. Now it’s leaking from the spokes! What the fudge is going on? I did don’t disturb the valve or tape when I changed the tyre.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
No idea. I've never done it, but the front held pressure for months until I put a different tyre on. It seems to be OK at the moment though, fingers crossed...

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
had my tyres “tubelessed “ a week ago, was advised to expect some leakage until everything settles but after 50 miles they still lose all pressure overnight . Rims are tubeless ready. No obvious sign of leakage....should I expect this to improve ?? Am reluctant to venture too far from a good pump until I can be sure they will survive the ride.
Bike shop advised it will sort itself out after a couple of rides but its now more than a couple.
Any thoughts?
Have fun.

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
If they are still going down overnight after a couple of rides you probably want to take them off and have a look.
Make sure the tape hasn't got screwed up next to the valve by overzealous tightening. This leads to leaks round the valve and/or through the spoke holes as it allows the fluid under the tape. Also have a good look round the bead of the tyre. Muck and stones can get between the rim & bead causing a leak path. Can be hard to identify as the fluid congeals around the offending item making it look smooth.
If it has been leaking a lot you may find all the fluid has been expelled and you need a top up to get a seal.

Blackbird

May 23, 2018
Netherlands
I have a set of bontrager wheel i run tubeless, they have a rim strip instead of tape, they hardly lose pressure at all, love it. If you don't loose a lot of pressure you are good to go. Stop worrying and start riding :)

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
Update ....still loosing serious pressure but pressing on to cover the miles to “coat” the inner of the tyre.
The dry weather shows up the liquid seepage ..well its coming out around a bead seal ...no surprise ....
But there are small holes in both my Raceface AR+0 rims which the FinishLine liquid is oozing out of..
LBS claims all tape was good and offer to re do them BUT are these holes acceptable? 192AE005-0262-4FB2-8120-9939A25E40B5.jpeg
192AE005-0262-4FB2-8120-9939A25E40B5.jpeg
192AE005-0262-4FB2-8120-9939A25E40B5.jpeg

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
That’s not very helpful is it?
Have you checked if those holes go right through to the rim?
They probably just go to a chamber in the profile. If that is the case the air is getting around or through the tape or around the valve into the chamber the spoke & valve pass through.
If you get it sorted you might want to put a bit of electrical tape over the holes so water doesn’t get in.

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
100 miles later and still oozing :mad: going back to LBS to be re taped .. they assumed the label on the rim "tubeless ready" was believable.:unsure:
they are going to replace the Raceface tape with their own known entity .:cautious:
Hope it works.
Have fun:cool:

Donnie797

Jul 2, 2018
Germany, southern Black Forest
Did you change your back tire as well or did that start over night??
Have you used soap-water on the tire before putting it on the rim? That helps a lot "plopping" the tire into the rim and make it fit tight. Also some tires work better or worse than others in terms of their tubeless fit. Schwalbe tires are pretty hard to get them on the taped rim (especially on DT Swiss rims), but they are very tight and sealed. Did you change your tire brand when you replaced it?Sometimes it helps to just add another layer of rim tape.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I had to change the back tyre as I pinch flatted the old one on a rock.

The tyre has properly seated, I have a compressor, so no problems getting it pumped up.

I took off a Nobby Nic and replaced it with the same.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I've chucked in the bath tonight. There's air escaping from the valve and 1 spoke hole almost opposite.

Bike in currently on a maintenance stand with walk mode engaged, hopefully that will spread the sealant around a bit.

Donnie797

Jul 2, 2018
Bike is currently on a maintenance stand with walk mode engaged, hopefully that will spread the sealant around a bit.

This is instantly going on my list of 10 things, only an e-biker would say! :LOL:

Number 1 is still my wife after a 30km ride with steep climbs.... before she had an e-mtb she said things like "my lungs are burning", "my legs explode", "i have to puke"... now with her e-mtb she's up the steepest hill in no time and when i'm up there trying to catch my breath and not to puke she's like "i think my helmet is pinching a bit" :devilish:

Last edited:

Japuserid

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall, UK
I've chucked in the bath tonight. There's air escaping from the valve and 1 spoke hole almost opposite.

Bike in currently on a maintenance stand with walk mode engaged, hopefully that will spread the sealant around a bit.
Hi Doomanic

Highly unlikely you will cure the problem with sealant alone, a good tubeless install should be capable of holding pressure without any sealant at all, the sealant should be for sealing puncture's in the tires. I always leave the fluid out and then test with air alone and if it's still holding air after 30 mins I remove the core and inject the fluid in through the valve.

100% a rim tape issue, not sure what wheels you have but try covering the the spoke holes with a narrow duct tape, start 100mm one side of the valve and finish 100mm the other side, then use a normal full width tape or rim strip over that. use a scalpel to carefully core out around the valve hole so that it seats properly.

Worth the effort and will make future tire changes a lot easier.

Last edited:

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Both front and rear were fine until I changed the tyres. I checked for damage to the existing rim tape before fitting the tyres and couldn’t see any. The valves didn’t leak before I changed tyres and I didn’t disturb them until after they were leaking to clean off any old sealant and check for damage to the tape.

TBH, I’m beginning to have a sense of humour failure over the whole affair and go back to tubes.

Donnie797

Jul 2, 2018
But... there's probably no magic involved, so it has to be a damaged tape or valve or rim. Otherwise it's just not possible that fluid is leaking through a spokehole. It's possible the tape got damaged while using the tyre levers.

Before resignate and going back to tubes, i would remove that tape, clean and doublecheck the rim for damage and then apply new good fitting tape and maybe a new valve, too. It's no fault anyway to have a spare valve available.

Japuserid

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall, UK
Both front and rear were fine until I changed the tyres. I checked for damage to the existing rim tape before fitting the tyres and couldn’t see any. The valves didn’t leak before I changed tyres and I didn’t disturb them until after they were leaking to clean off any old sealant and check for damage to the tape.

TBH, I’m beginning to have a sense of humour failure over the whole affair and go back to tubes.
I know exactly how you are feeling, I've been there myself several times :rolleyes:, when it works it's great and when it doesn't it's a real PITA!

Donnie 797 is absolutely right, rip it off and start again. A very small patch of tape is allowing air to escape into the well of the rim and you see this as air escaping through the valve or the spoke holes. You will never be able to see the bit that has failed, but you know it has, because of the leak.

Stip it all Off, clean thoroughly with Isopropol alcohol, highly recommend narrow duct tape 15-20mm first and then stan's tape over the top make sure the tape is properly stuck, use a heat source if necessary and install dry. Inflate and test and then if all is good add in the fluid.

Stans sell these and they are brilliant but quite expensive

Stans No Tubes The Injector | Tredz Bikes

ccrdave

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
I would suggest using as wider tape as you get it right up to the beadlock and pay attention to the valves you use not all valves work in all rims

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles