Winters coming.... riding in cold conditions and battery performance

iainc

Jul 21, 2019
Glasgow
First eMTB arriving soon, and looking forward to getting it out on some frosty clear night rides (west of Scotland) . Wondering though what impact low single digit temperatures and mildly subzero has on the battery range - any experiences ?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
You really should try to stop all this needlesly worrying Iain.

IIRC that day was as low as -17 and didn't rise above -10deg C
I rode a not unusual 3500ft ish of elevation (and descent obvz) in probably somewhere around 12-15miles. I wouldn't ever measure range in mileage alone. and finished with battery left.
the harder (frozen) surface meant range was greater than that of a soft conditions warmer temperature wet winter ride on the exact same route would have been.

Last edited:

Coburn

Aug 18, 2019
Somerset
First eMTB arriving soon, and looking forward to getting it out on some frosty clear night rides (west of Scotland) . Wondering though what impact low single digit temperatures and mildly subzero has on the battery range - any experiences ?
Hi

My local rides are in south west so not quite as cold in the winter but we get some pretty good weather coming in off the Atlantic on the coast. I have ridden Bosch and currently on a Kenevo (12 months) and haven’t seen any issues with performance in cold (Well at least not with the battery). So i wouldn’t worry about it.

I keep my bike in unheated garage and always bring the battery in the house to charge / store in the winter. Lithium batteries won’t be too keen on storage or charge in negative temperature.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK

I keep my bike in unheated garage and always bring the battery in the house to charge / store in the winter. Lithium batteries won’t be too keen on storage or charge in negative temperature.

I agree, the problem that so many Focus owners had was with the latest 4.5Amp charger. It did not like it or the battery being below 11 deg C. Nothing to do with performance on the trail. Ditched the charger, got the old 4Amp one. We shall see what happens this winter, but nobody else with the 4Amp charger had a problem,

iainc

Jul 21, 2019
Glasgow
Haha ?, I’m not actually worrying Gary, just looking forward to getting out on the new bike whenever it turns up ! New lights purchased today and current Maxx D Mk9 being sold, Joystick Mk 12 sold 2 hrs ago ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles