Winter riding kit - stuff to keep you warm and dry

Walkea

Aug 18, 2019
Glasgow
The problem I have is getting changed after a ride to drive home. It’s ok if you’re at a trail centre for instance and you can use their toilets (disabled toilets are the best) but when you’re in the middle of nowhere, it’s p!$$ing down, absolutely covered in filth from head to toe and you need to drive home it’s a bit of a challenge getting changed. Does anyone use those oversized dressing gown type robes that surfers use ?
Yes, I bought a waterproof, pile fleece lined one from ebay. I can either get changed in carpark or just take off the wet stuff and drive home wearing the robe and be warm and dry.

Eduardoramundo

Aug 8, 2019
Glasgow
I find these the best fitting waterproof gloves for under 8°c for shredding.

Seabird55

May 11, 2021
Vancouver
my kit for the PNW...wet, cold and can go sub zero in elevation
- thermal beanie
- merino long sleeve base layer 175 weight- Icebreaker
- depending on temp will layer with a thin polartec vest
- gore R7 shakedry trail jacket - so far has been excellent and very versatile
- seal skin gloves - which the water proofing has failed; on rides i know will be raining the whole time i use a 3mm neoprene glove that keeps you warm and dry...and if water gets in, at least warm
- fox 3L water pants - great pants...like the fit and have been very good in the rain
- five ten DLX shoes with neoprene gaiters...also have waterproof socks but have found the shoe/gaiter combo to work well...dry, warm and easy to clean off after a muddy ride

feet and hands are the toughest to keep warm and i've given up on goretex for both....i've had goretex shoes that eventually fail and same with the gloves i.e seal skin...so far neoprene has worked well for me.

i'm on the look out for a good breathable soft shell vest that is windproof and water resistant...more breathable and can wear when there's a chance of rain and pack the gore....appreciate any suggestions.

GDAS

Sep 19, 2018
Surrey, UK
when it comes to long trousers/pants for the trail, how are tall slim people supposed to get a pair which reach all the way to the tops of their shoes? As far as I can see, nobody makes multiple leg lengths in the way that makers of jeans do (Short/Regular/Long). Although I suspect the major brands probably make-to-measure for their team of "influencers"

RoktMyDog

Feb 23, 2021
USA
Let me know what you guys are using / wearing and would recommend.
I tend to avoid extreme cold riding as I can go wherever I want but the eternal dilemma with mt biking is sweating ballsout in a plastic bag while climbing. Enter the Dirt Rider by patagucci, it's the best 'breathable' jacket I've used. I can unzip and pull the sleeves up and keep the thing on 90% of my rides.

philuk

Jun 22, 2021
North Yorkshire UK
First ride out yesterday with the Decathalon AM trousers, Hope/Endura jacket and 100% gloves, second with the five10 gortex shoes but rather than long socks i went with trainer socks. The only issue I had was the trousers wont stay down so the cuff rides up on the goretex of the shoes. Not a massive problem but it just can leave a tiny bit of exposed leg.

Other than that it was a great sucess.

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
One thing I haven't seen mentioned here is when it gets really cold I use my Ski helmet instead of my bike helmet as it covers your ears and is made for cold weather. I'll probably get roasted that it is not meant for biking, but for what I do it is great.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
You need kayak helmet ,skiing one , mountain bike one and road bike one , climbing one . Then you have to get a helmet rack. 🤣
It's true. It is a real PITA that every sport has it's own dedicated helmet, and if you are not using the correct one, then you are a dork!
I currently have 3 different bike helmets, Normal, Full face, and a removable chin guard
A ski helmet
A Kayak / Windsurf helmet
A motorbike helmet
I need a climbing helmet, but use my bike helmet
So currently I have 6 different helmets

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
It's true. It is a real PITA that every sport has it's own dedicated helmet, and if you are not using the correct one, then you are a dork!
I currently have 3 different bike helmets, Normal, Full face, and a removable chin guard
A ski helmet
A Kayak / Windsurf helmet
A motorbike helmet
I need a climbing helmet, but use my bike helmet
So currently I have 6 different helmets
Same here big argument on pakrafting site other week some one said they used a cycling hat. Makes you wonder though is a £200 cycling helmet so much better than £40 they are both made to same standard. Maybe im wrong.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Cold weather helmet? I just pop a couple of these and GTF on with it...

1636364711631.png

:ROFLMAO:

StuE

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jun 4, 2018
Leeds
Most cycling kit is overpriced rubbish, it's much easier to stay warm and dry on the ebike because your not generally sweating has much as you do on an unassisted bike.
I'm seriously thinking of trying some of these if the weather turns bad enough
Or I could pay €500 for Poc's take on them 🤔

StuE

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jun 4, 2018
Leeds
Most cycling kit is overpriced rubbish, it's much easier to stay warm and dry on the ebike because your not generally sweating has much as you do on an unassisted bike.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I've got a pair on the normal M0D GoreTex trousers and while they are waterproof they aren't cut for cycling. Having said that, the bib & brace you linked to look good.

phutureproof

Jun 4, 2021
Oxford
when it comes to long trousers/pants for the trail, how are tall slim people supposed to get a pair which reach all the way to the tops of their shoes? As far as I can see, nobody makes multiple leg lengths in the way that makers of jeans do (Short/Regular/Long). Although I suspect the major brands probably make-to-measure for their team of "influencers"
If you find any, let me know. I'm skinny and 6'5" so ideally want a 35-36" inside leg. No luck so far.
I've ordered a pair of Revolution Race trousers which will hopefully be here next week. My mate had a pair and I tried them on. They need a belt, but length wasn't too bad.

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
Trouble is, that when you take them off you won't be able to find them again... Because they are Camouflaged. ;) :p

themoon

Sep 12, 2020
Ukraine
I've tried a couple (like 3-4 different brands) of heated socks and none of them seemed to heat toes properly except for savior brand. These are most expensive, but sometimes are heavily discounted at Ebay. These socks absolutely rock - they are the only ones I've found to keep the whole length of toes warm. Cannot imagine winter riding without them now.

Not an add - can post my collection of other brands, the ones which were just meh.

And same for the gloves. Now riding in their heated leather mountain ski gloves - same deal, they actually have heating elements along the fingers, not just in the palm.

Very happy with them - except that the battery lasts around 1.5 hours in gloves a d 2.5 in socks, so I always carry a couple of spares.

Konanige

Feb 29, 2020
Mendips
If you find any, let me know. I'm skinny and 6'5" so ideally want a 35-36" inside leg. No luck so far.
I've ordered a pair of Revolution Race trousers which will hopefully be here next week. My mate had a pair and I tried them on. They need a belt, but length wasn't too bad.
Alpkit do the Floe trouser in three different leg lengths, 7Mesh trousers have long legs you cut to fit, bit spendy though but get fantastic reviews.

Yoak

Apr 5, 2020
Norway
I ride in a djirtle short suit and layers from go outdoors keep me nice and warm and dry
Second this. I use thin wool baselayer and a Dirtlej with short legs. High winterboots. A buff and thin beanie under helmet. I ride in the snow and freezing conditions. Down to -15C.
my best tip for really cold days are Toe and hand warmers. I always keep some spare in my back pack. The Heat Company makes some really good ones.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
It is a real PITA that every sport has it's own dedicated helmet
EMTB isn't a sport.
It's a hobby.
A hobby which doesn't require a helmet to be worn at all. (if we wish not to).

MTB helmets already look super dorky so wear what you like confidently in the knowledge you probably still look more stylish than most of its participants with absolutely ALL THE (correct) GEAR...

Mtbvkk

Feb 21, 2020
Seattle, wa
Love these pants

they have retractable pushbuttons at the bottom to fasten around boots but they can be unfastened and look like normal active trousers. I wear them while traveling too. They have a non ventilated version. But I like these because I can open up the ventilation if it gets warm. On really cold days can add a smartwool layer underneath. Note they are are not waterproof but water resistant but have worked well for me here in the PNW. They can be treated with wax if needed.

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
Used to be a Purse Seine Skiff Man in AK for quite a few years. I was apt to be wet on the other end of the seine as there was no cover so good rain gear was needed....The commercially available raingear from Helley Hansen and Grundens etc. heavy duty stuff was too much so I focused on the middle weight category. What I ended up with my last stint worked the best consisting of a Stormr Typhoon Neoprene coat

Screen Shot 2021-12-15 at 2.33.51 PM.png

It is my most expensive piece of gear but more than paid for during my fishing time slaying salmon.

and a set of Grundens mid weight pants.

I use this combo now for extreme rain days on the bike and it is excellent in my book.

On days when it is not nuking rain I just wear these under $40 pants that I'm sure have drifted by as an ad in many of yours feeds link won't show here....
While they are insulated they are not that hot and somewhat breathable. All items provide plenty range of motion for your mtb experience.

To bottom it all off I use these for footwear:

Last edited:

Rl3651

Dec 13, 2021
Merrimack, New Hampshire
I live in New England and in winter it gets to 10 degrees f very often. I just wear my ski outfit with waterproof hiking boots and ski gloves all from Costco. All in for under $75. Comfortable, warm, and dry. But then again, we're shirtless and shorts in 60 degree f weather.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles