Winter boots

The EMF

🔱 Aquaman 🔱
Subscriber
Nov 4, 2020
South East Northumberland
Just took delivery of these. Bought from Wiggle but unfortunately I need a bigger size to wear with winter socks so they are going back and will go up a size.
I am normally a size eight and my other five tens are size eight which are fine with normal socks, so I am going to go to a size nine and wear my sealskin socks with them only in the winter months so my feet stay warm and dry hopefully. And I am sure I will find a way to get them on quicker. (y)
View attachment 109312
Nice 👍

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
Just took delivery of these. Bought from Wiggle but unfortunately I need a bigger size to wear with winter socks so they are going back and will go up a size.
I am normally a size eight and my other five tens are size eight which are fine with normal socks, so I am going to go to a size nine and wear my sealskin socks with them only in the winter months so my feet stay warm and dry hopefully. And I am sure I will find a way to get them on quicker. (y)
View attachment 109312
You won’t be disappointed pal, they’re awesome and I see you got the obligatory bag of Haribo’s 😁

Hobo Mikey

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
May 22, 2020
Where ever
i am just hoping by getting one size bigger they are going to be ok fit wise. Really hate sending stuff back but could find nowhere in the area where I could try before I buy.

penguinni

E*POWAH Snack Master
Subscriber
Jun 22, 2020
Bangor, N Ireland
View attachment 109312
Mine doing what they do so well yesterday.
849D9528-7384-495C-BBEF-2C9BFDF1A68E.jpeg

Geordy paul

Feb 7, 2022
Yorkshire
Maybe controversial but I use these.https://muckbootcompany.co.uk/collections/men/products/mens-arctic-excursion-short-boots-black
Over many years I have tried all manner of winter mtb footwear and nothing has worked. Until now.
These are brilliant, warm and dry all day.

Hobo Mikey

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
May 22, 2020
Where ever
I sent these boots back today because they were to small. To be honest not sure if i am going to go a size bigger or find something else.
The trouble with five tens is they are narrow for me. My free rider pros were narrow when I bought them but now they have stretched out and are comfy. I can’t see the gortex boots stretching out that much. Lots of thinking to do and by then winter will be over. :ROFLMAO:

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I sent these boots back today because they were to small. To be honest not sure if i am going to go a size bigger or find something else.
The trouble with five tens is they are narrow for me. My free rider pros were narrow when I bought them but now they have stretched out and are comfy. I can’t see the gortex boots stretching out that much. Lots of thinking to do and by then winter will be over. :ROFLMAO:
I'm always on the look out for overshoes that will fit. I swear by leather boots but walking ones usually too clumpy. I have shimano XM9 two pairs but they have holes on the side so never keep me dry . Gaiters work though. I like to try on stuff like that but absolutely no big bike shops nowhere near me that stocks anything I fancy .

discdigger

Dec 29, 2022
Worcester MA
If its warmth you're after, Thermerup heated insoles are pretty darn good. Rechargeable batteries, put them in whatever shoe you feel like wearing that day. The battery goes in a velcro band around your ankle. It can be mildly uncomfortable, you have to get it on the meat of your ankle vs bone. The heat lasts for hours, I've used them for two full seasons so I'm going to say they're durable too.

Loppy Lou

Mar 22, 2022
Bristol
Look the business them I like ankle protection. Just so wary ordering shoes online for getting the fit correct. As we say up here ( fit shee fits fit fit ).
Yeah I got them in a bike shop in Brecon and went a size bigger, if you were thinking of getting some online.

Hobo Mikey

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
May 22, 2020
Where ever
Got my refund from sending my gortex five tens back so went looking for lightweight waterproof boots for the winter. I needed to try them on for size.
Set my self a budget of £100 and ended up with these. Jack Wolfskin together with my seal skin socks should be good to go in the cold and wet winter days, although winter is nearly over. 😂
Good grippy soles on the flats and come in under budget at £87
D69B0354-14DD-4594-A2A1-A60E544819AA.jpeg
512526D4-C076-4521-A170-7B60E98FF26E.jpeg

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
Good choice, you eventually went down the same route as me. Lightweight trail/hiking boots with proper rugged soles so you don't slide onto your arse when you step off on a muddy slope as you might and I did, with MTB flat pedal shoes and their low profile soles..

Also, room for a decent pair of socks which will keep your feet warm, something I never achieved in over thirty winters of trying MTB specific winter boots.

Since I switched to lightweight boots last autumn, the rest of my riding group have followed suit, but then we are all too old to worry about looking 'cool' or do I mean 'sick'.

Last edited:

The EMF

🔱 Aquaman 🔱
Subscriber
Nov 4, 2020
Got my refund from sending my gortex five tens back so went looking for lightweight waterproof boots for the winter. I needed to try them on for size.
Set my self a budget of £100 and ended up with these. Jack Wolfskin together with my seal skin socks should be good to go in the cold and wet winter days, although winter is nearly over. 😂
Good grippy soles on the flats and come in under budget at £87
View attachment 109910 View attachment 109911
Winter may be over but you’ve still got 6 months of shite weather to contend with 😆

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Resurrecting this thread as I’m on the look out for some decent boots for the winter.

She wants 5/10 GTX, I’m happy to try something else. Any other recommendations? I’m tempted by the Ride Concept TNT’s although they’re not waterproof or goretex

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Resurrecting this thread as I’m on the look out for some decent boots for the winter.

She wants 5/10 GTX, I’m happy to try something else. Any other recommendations? I’m tempted by the Ride Concept TNT’s although they’re not waterproof or goretex
Mate just bought fancy 5 tens reduced to £ 160 he's not impressed plus not that grippy on pedals. Not sure of exact model . Green cut down wellies are super if it's torrential rain and you just want to get out and your doing nothing too technical.

The EMF

🔱 Aquaman 🔱
Subscriber
Nov 4, 2020

I’m not overly impressed with my 5 tens gtx. I don’t know of a so called winter mtb shoe or boot that will keep you dry in the conditions we ride in. It’s just marketing blah blah blah

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Mate just bought fancy 5 tens reduced to £ 160 he's not impressed plus not that grippy on pedals. Not sure of exact model . Green cut down wellies are super if it's torrential rain and you just want to get out and your doing nothing too technical.
5-10 EPS shoe or boot. They are leather so waterproof if you wax them.

Hattori-Hanzo

Apr 10, 2023
UK
I picked up a cheap pair of mucker/fishing boots as I liked the idea of the fully rubber lower. for riding in really muddy conditions they should be fully water proof and easy to clean once home.
However I think they are going to be too bulky and loose to actually ride in.

Looking for other options again now.

As a side note, how is everyone cleaning their shoes once home?
I'm usually caked in mud after winter rides and have ruined a pair of shoes by machine washing them in the past.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Water gets in through the tongue and eyelets. I have a pair of both, my feet get wet.
the tongue is webbed..........wax the tongue and spray treat the material that forms the web. Plenty of wax blocks the eyelets. Never got wet feet in 4 years wearing them.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I’m not overly impressed with my 5 tens gtx. I don’t know of a so called winter mtb shoe or boot that will keep you dry in the conditions we ride in. It’s just marketing blah blah blah
Totally agree. To be honest a leather boot will always stay drier than all these gore tex shite. I've walked hills for a lot of years and unless I wade through deep water my socks are usually dry. But walking boots are heavier and not cut out for cycling. I sometimes wear a pair when other boots are wet it depends what you are cycling. Said before if you just have to get out and the trails are soaking wet a compromise is a small price to pay. Rant over. What's that song 🎵 it's raining again Supertramp . Or the one by that Welsh cyclist ,Why does it always rain on me.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
In the past when the weather is trully bad ( quite often in winter down here!) I have worn mucker boots. For those not into equine, mucker boots as their name suggests are designed to be worn on stables yard for mucking out duties. They are essentially ankle length wellies with a neoprene upper section. They have surprisingly good grip on the pedals as well! Snow boots are a similar alternative and have the advantage of usually having a warm liner boot inside but they tend to be quite bulky.
I agree with the comment above. Fabric of one type or another as an upper plus a ( stupidly expensive) Goretex liner are worse than useless for serious wet weather use. I walk the dogs every day across fields etc regardless of the weather. I have tried several Goretex boots...........all rubbish. The goretex liner only works if the upper is waterproofed and kept clean ( some hope of that on a bike!!) Leather or rubber is the answer!!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles