Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Don’t worry it’s the towels I use to dry my bikes after cleaning that I chuck in the washing machine with boots 😆 Along with all the microfibre towels that I dry the chains with …
No problem I was a trawlerman for many years .My record was 26 days working and sleeping in the same clothes fifteen in the one and only bedroom . The smell never bothered any of us haha

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Ok, so a quick bit of research on boots, mainly the RC TNT and 5/10 EPS

Both are made of synthetic leather

RC TNT are microfibre leather, also known as faux leather

5/10 EPS are PU coated synthetic leather

It is recommended not to use Dubbin on either types of synthetic leather, however MikerB has been using Dubbin on his 5/10’s for 4 years with no issues. Manufacturers recommend using waterproofing sprays instead, such as DWR.

I prefer the look of the TNT’s, already own some other RC’s and they’re dead comfy and pedal grip is excellent. The Velcro strap is handy, means you can leave the laces quite loose for ease of putting the boot on, but quickly strap down for a tight fit. The TNT’s also have some D30 inserts for added protection, but this could just be marketing spiel.

The 5/10’s however have Primaloft insulation, which help keep your feet toasty & warm. Primaloft is quick drying too, useful for when you’re riding all weekend and the boots get soaked through on day one.

Both have gusseted tongues which is essential for helping to keep water out.

Anyway, I’m still leaning towards the TNT’s but tempted by the tried & tested experience of the EPS’

Mmm 🤔 decisions …

The EMF

🔱 Aquaman 🔱
Subscriber
Nov 4, 2020
South East Northumberland
I picked up a cheap pair of mucker/fishing boots as I liked the idea of the fully rubber lower. for riding in really muddy conditions they should be fully water proof and easy to clean once home.
However I think they are going to be too bulky and loose to actually ride in.

Looking for other options again now.

As a side note, how is everyone cleaning their shoes once home?
I'm usually caked in mud after winter rides and have ruined a pair of shoes by machine washing them in the past.

I hose clean my shoes/boots with the “ shower “ setting on my hose pipe gun, remove the insoles ( 5 tens ) let them drain them stick em on the boot drier. The boots don’t end up smelly b that way

The EMF

🔱 Aquaman 🔱
Subscriber
Nov 4, 2020
Ok, so a quick bit of research on boots, mainly the RC TNT and 5/10 EPS

Both are made of synthetic leather

RC TNT are microfibre leather, also known as faux leather

5/10 EPS are PU coated synthetic leather

It is recommended not to use Dubbin on either types of synthetic leather, however MikerB has been using Dubbin on his 5/10’s for 4 years with no issues. Manufacturers recommend using waterproofing sprays instead, such as DWR.

I prefer the look of the TNT’s, already own some other RC’s and they’re dead comfy and pedal grip is excellent. The Velcro strap is handy, means you can leave the laces quite loose for ease of putting the boot on, but quickly strap down for a tight fit. The TNT’s also have some D30 inserts for added protection, but this could just be marketing spiel.

The 5/10’s however have Primaloft insulation, which help keep your feet toasty & warm. Primaloft is quick drying too, useful for when you’re riding all weekend and the boots get soaked through on day one.

Both have gusseted tongues which is essential for helping to keep water out.

Anyway, I’m still leaning towards the TNT’s but tempted by the tried & tested experience of the EPS’

Mmm 🤔 decisions …

Here’s another one for you to consider.
North wave had a good reputation for keeping feet toastie and dry but I’m not sure if they do flats

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Here’s another one for you to consider.
North wave had a good reputation for keeping feet toastie and dry but I’m not sure if they do flats

So these North Wave’s appear to have flat ish soles. Not quite my style but happy to consider anything if they keep my feet dry 😀

IMG_4909.jpeg

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
They look more like it……but just remembered why I didn’t buy Northwave in the past, they are expensive…..but if they do the job, any reviews on line ?

Cheapest I’ve found them is £148 including delivery but can’t see any reviews anywhere

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Good find. They have one pair left in size 8 1/2, which is her size. Added to my basket too now 😆👍🏽

They look like an older model, they don’t have the boa lace system like the other link I sent earlier, but they still look dead smart and fingers crossed will be dry & warm

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I hose clean my shoes/boots with the “ shower “ setting on my hose pipe gun, remove the insoles ( 5 tens ) let them drain them stick em on the boot drier. The boots don’t end up smelly b that way
Never thought about a boot drier
Cheapest I’ve found them is £148 including delivery but can’t see any reviews anywhere
I've looked at them pity I couldn't see in a shop and try on its a faff sending stuff back. Last walking boots I bought were 220 yet I don't grudge that . Strange that im grippy with Mtb ones considering they are worn three times a week usually. Pair of ski boots the same cost a fortune went skiing last year and just hired . Rant over for this post anyway.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I quickly googled boot driers cheap as chips can u recommend any type.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
These look good too

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
I quickly googled boot driers cheap as chips can u recommend any type.

We had one from Amazon, cost around £15-20. Does the job. We take it with us when we’re staying away in wet & wild places like Scotland. It has a twenty minute timer so you have to keep rotating the boots and tuning it back on every twenty minutes but after about an hour they’re dry as a bone

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
And these …

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
We had one from Amazon, cost around £15-20. Does the job. We take it with us when we’re staying away in wet & wild places like Scotland. It has a twenty minute timer so you have to keep rotating the boots and tuning it back on every twenty minutes but after about an hour they’re dry as a bone
Excellent my toes are squirming thinking about them

The EMF

🔱 Aquaman 🔱
Subscriber
Nov 4, 2020
Excellent my toes are squirming thinking about them

I’ll post a pic of my drier soon, the one I have has telescopic arms for boots when in standard length are perfect for shoes and you can rotate the arms @ 90 deg from level and a 90 min timer, I m sure it wasn’t that expensive.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles