Winter boots

Hobo Mikey

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
May 22, 2020
Where ever
Following on from my waterproof jacket thread. I am now looking for some decent boots for winter riding. I wear sealskin socks in winter but with my five ten free rider pros at the moment but would like some decent boots for winter.
I am looking at some gortex hiking boots like the adidas Terrex AX4 or Similar.

Budget of around £100.
What you got. (y)

Last edited:

Cb750stu

Subscriber
Nov 6, 2020
United Kingdom
I've been using these for over a year and they have been excellent for all that Scotland can throw at them, still have dry feet at the end of the ride 🤟🤟

Screenshot_20230312-065804.png

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
I totally recommend the trail crossers too, I wear SealSkinzs too but my feet were still cold, enter my misses with the following statement “ why don’t you wear some pop socks” Sealskinz £36 and cold feet, pop socks £3 and toasty warm feet 🤔 I am on aspirin though 😒

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
Another vote for the trailcross goretex. I use these in winter with sealskins and they work well

Let in water eventually if out all day but I don’t think anything is 💯 waterproof

Trousers if there’s lots of rain / puddles helps as stops it going into the shoes

Do want to try the terrex tho as they look decent

Last edited:

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
Cold feet are a given where I ride in the Peak District and I've never found a pair a MTB boots that worked for me.
Now I'm on flats I gave these a go. They're great with a pair of 'Heat Holder' socks and you can now get them for only £74 as well.

macinthekitchen

Jun 28, 2020
Ringwood
Following on from my waterproof jacket thread. I am now looking for some decent boots for winter riding. I wear sealskin socks in winter but with my five ten free rider pros at the moment but would like some decent boots for winter.
I am looking at some gortex hiking boots like the adidas Terrex AX4 or Similar.

Budget of around £100.
What you got. (y)
I also use the Trailcorss and they're great, but I walk in a pair of Adi gore tex Terrex and the thing to look out for is that the bit under the laces isn't gore tex (well, not on mine anyway). It's fine if water doesn't get to the upper bit, but in heavy rain they just collect water.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
5 10 EPS.....Shoe or ankle boot. All leather so provided it is waxed its waterproof....it also includes some insulation. I don't rate any textile upper with goretex or some other so called waterproof membrane. They only work if the textile/breathable upper is clean and treated and the pressure of water hitting the upper is fairly low.
The membrane also has to be several pieces taped together and those joints fail overtime.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
If you want a cheap option try stableyard muckers........or snow boots......same construction. Lower part is like a welly and above that it's neoprene....often a bit higher than an ankle boot. Snow boots are similar but also include an inner sock.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
The winter boots aren’t cheap (400+CDN) but are waterproof above the ankle. The other one’s are good for the wet, Shimano version(250+CDN).
1A6D2BA0-A04D-48AC-89EB-4659647DE434.jpeg

borysgo2

Feb 1, 2023
Ireland

I am using shoes as above. Comfortable, good grip but no goretex. I have been using waterproof boots with goretex for a good while and for the long run all have the same problem, If they will get wet or damp inside it is really difficult to dry them out (dry out the waterproof boots :)).
IMHO the best solution is to get yourself good, warm socks and keep the boots as dry as possible = get waterproof overshoes (shoe covers). If the boot and the sock is dry it will be warm.

100% waterproof biking boots does not exist. All of them sooner or later will get wet/dam inside.
Regards

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales

I am using shoes as above. Comfortable, good grip but no goretex. I have been using waterproof boots with goretex for a good while and for the long run all have the same problem, If they will get wet or damp inside it is really difficult to dry them out (dry out the waterproof boots :)).

Regards
Stuff your wet boots with newspaper. Soon gets them dry. If very wet you may have to change newspaper

borysgo2

Feb 1, 2023
Ireland
Peaky Rider
I used paper and silca gel but You will never get them dry over night so next day they will be wet anyway. In Ireland, where I live there is plenty water on the trails. I found the best solution is to keep the boots dry from outside. In my case, rain covers for boots are working the best..

Thanks

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
You will never get them dry over night so next day they will be wet anyway.
You've not heard of these before?
Admittedly an expensive way of doing it ( with current electric tarrifs) ..but they will dry overnight

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
Cold feet are a given where I ride in the Peak District and I've never found a pair a MTB boots that worked for me.
Now I'm on flats I gave these a go. They're great with a pair of 'Heat Holder' socks and you can now get them for only £74 as well.

Try the nylon pop socks inside your heat holders, I’m on aspirin so my blood is like piss, they really do work for me so they could work for you too, at £3 a pair it’s worth a shot 😉

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
You've not heard of these before?
Admittedly an expensive way of doing it ( with current electric tarrifs) ..but they will dry overnight
I’ve been a bit dubious about these having heard about them bursting into flames on a few occasions, I’ve heard that silica gel inside some old socks is pretty effective and it’s reusable and pretty cheap too 👍

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
I’ve been a bit dubious about these having heard about them bursting into flames on a few occasions, I’ve heard that silica gel inside some old socks is pretty effective and it’s reusable and pretty cheap too 👍
I can't give first hand experience of actually owning one ..but came across one a few years back on an mtb trip on Skye ..The Glenartney Hotel had secure bike storage & a couple of these dryers in the same outbuilding for guests ..and they worked really well..
My own boots ( clipless) dry out pretty well in our boiler cupboard ( oil fired heating ) ..and I've a spare pair of shoes should they be needed ..

The EMF

🔱 Aquaman 🔱
Subscriber
Nov 4, 2020
South East Northumberland
Must admit I’m a 5 Ten fan because of the grip on flat peddles.
I have well worn pair of free riders for the summer but have the EPS shoes and the Adidas GTX boots, feet are dry but always suffer cold feet, going to give the pop socks a try…..and I use a boot dryer, stops the boots from stinking

James_C

Nov 25, 2019
Kent, UK
I have added gaitors to cover the bit between trousers and boots, tested over the weekend and mostly dry feet after a very wet friday.

this kind of thing:

for boots I use Vaude AM Moab Mid STX - Cycling Shoes | Free UK Delivery | Alpinetrek.co.uk..

these are very comfy, feel like snowboarding boots. Bit difficult to get on but so worthwhile when its wet. Not as much grip on the pedals as five tens, but good enough. They are completely waterproof, you can stand in shallow running water and dont get wet.

Last edited:

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
I can't give first hand experience of actually owning one ..but came across one a few years back on an mtb trip on Skye ..The Glenartney Hotel had secure bike storage & a couple of these dryers in the same outbuilding for guests ..and they worked really well..
My own boots ( clipless) dry out pretty well in our boiler cupboard ( oil fired heating ) ..and I've a spare pair of shoes should they be needed ..
That’s fair enough, they’ll be good quality ones I should imagine, I thought about tapping into my heating system with a thermostatic radiator valve so the pipe work didn’t get too hot but I just never got around to it 😒

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I've got one of those boot driers. I've only needed to use a couple of times in the last two years though.

A set of Vaude gaitors is the best thing I've found for dry and consequently warm feet. You'll look like a knob but at least you'll be a knob with warm, dry feet.

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
I've got one of those boot driers. I've only needed to use a couple of times in the last two years though.

A set of Vaude gaitors is the best thing I've found for dry and consequently warm feet. You'll look like a knob but at least you'll be a knob with warm, dry feet.

They look good but I don’t think I’d get over my fat boy calf’s 😁

Hobo Mikey

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
May 22, 2020
Where ever
Just took delivery of these. Bought from Wiggle but unfortunately I need a bigger size to wear with winter socks so they are going back and will go up a size.
I am normally a size eight and my other five tens are size eight which are fine with normal socks, so I am going to go to a size nine and wear my sealskin socks with them only in the winter months so my feet stay warm and dry hopefully. And I am sure I will find a way to get them on quicker. (y)
70F0A6EC-089E-49D0-85DA-0151BF93674F.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles