Will there ever be a fix for the Bosch motor rattle?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Something like this ? But in Aluminium or Titanium (depending on spec/price) ?

1662104461830.png

yorkshire89

E*POWAH Master
Sep 30, 2020
North Yorkshire
I think the motor rattles as a 'fix' for reduced drag pedalling beyond the cut off limit?

I don't find it very noticeable on my bike at all on top of all the other noises going on when descending. The clicking when you stop pedalling is much more noticeable to me.

It sounds like it depends on the bike and frame material though. I do have a layer of motox foam between the top of the motor and frame which may help, it's also an alloy frame.

Can you upload a riding video so we can have a listen?

slomtbr

Subscriber
May 14, 2021
US
If there's a 'fix', it won't be aftermarket. The noise is the ratchet inside the motor.

raymondo

Jan 17, 2019
Sussex
Had my Motor replaced under warranty last year and the new one doesn't rattle at all, so that would suggest there's already a fix in the system.

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
I have a 2022 motor
still rattles :)

Don't think either of our Trek Rail 5 (500Wh) motors rattle. Or at least I don't hear it but I do have some high frequency hearing loss. But wife doesn’t hear it and her hearing is shockingly good. Purchased January 2022.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
pretty sure Bosch would have announced any design change designed to quieten the motor. Neither of my Bosch powered bikes rattle ( Whyte E180RS/Whyte E160 RSX). I think it was established that the rattle derives from the amount of pedal kick the bike generates when freewheeling and that depends on the kinematics of the rear triangle and shock.

raymondo

Jan 17, 2019
Sussex
Mine is a whyte E150 and the original motor rattled, but the replacement doesn’t. That suggests something different in it’s construction.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles