Whyte e-mtb

steveo

Jul 20, 2019
Ka15hy
Yep, I was as well from my lbs, but then spoke to another dealer who I have already had a Whyte from and they had already ordered one and had it scheduled for next months drop.
It's also worth getting the shop that the bike is ordered from to make sure Whyte know the bike is ordered for a customer and not just for the shop floor. Was told this from one of the main guys at Whyte when I spoke to him at the tweed love festival after my S150 RS was ordered just before they were released. It took about a month of my delivery date. He said they want to get the bikes to actual paid customers before they go to shops stock.So if they know a bike is ordered for a actual person they will pump it up in front of shop orders.

Jason1

Jul 18, 2019
UK
I’ve just put a order in for a e150rs and have been told delivery will be late November but that could change depending on stock.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Apparently there's already quite a waiting list, my LBS called me a few weeks ago to say if I wanted one before December I needed to place an order. They are expecting the ones they ordered in for the shop in mid September (150 models)

Garyb

Aug 26, 2019
Newcastle upon Tyne
Hi all,
Quick story. I was at Winlatter the Guy Put his E-150 video on You Tube. I watched it that night and ordered one the next morning with Team Valley cycles. I picked it up on Monday. The guys there said Whyte had decided to get the bikes out as soon as possible. They had a large in the store as well as mine. Apparently mine is the first in the country. Seems some of you might not have to wait too long after all.
Oh and about the motor. I think my knees make more noise.

steveo

Jul 20, 2019
Ka15hy
Ye there good at getting bikes out to customers. Every bike I have had has always been later than the delivery date apart from whyte. The saddle was the first thing I changed on my S150 ?. Some pics wouldn't go amiss ?

Benson

Sep 19, 2018
Hampshire UK
I was at FOD yesterday and Whyte were there doing a product training day for dealers. Tried to blag a test ride but politely declined ? Got to see the bikes up close and they were very pretty. The battery removed from near the bottom bracket and you need to disconnect an internal plug when doing so.The Whyte guy said they were not designed to be removed with any regularity when I asked about buying additional batteries. He also reckoned they were good for 60km range which I found difficult to believe.

The one thing that did strike me was how QUIET the new motor is. I’d been hooning around the trail centre on my 2018 current gen Levo and as much as I love the bike it sounds like a can of angry wasps and it really grates on you. We stopped after a DH run and an E150 passed us heading up the pushup trail and we honestly could not hear the motor. It just breezed passed us silently at Mach II. Really impressive, I’d consider switching just on this point alone.

steveo

Jul 20, 2019
Ka15hy
I was at FOD yesterday and Whyte were there doing a product training day for dealers. Tried to blag a test ride but politely declined ? Got to see the bikes up close and they were very pretty. The battery removed from near the bottom bracket and you need to disconnect an internal plug when doing so.The Whyte guy said they were not designed to be removed with any regularity when I asked about buying additional batteries. He also reckoned they were good for 60km range which I found difficult to believe.

The one thing that did strike me was how QUIET the new motor is. I’d been hooning around the trail centre on my 2018 current gen Levo and as much as I love the bike it sounds like a can of angry wasps and it really grates on you. We stopped after a DH run and an E150 passed us heading up the pushup trail and we honestly could not hear the motor. It just breezed passed us silently at Mach II. Really impressive, I’d consider switching just on this point alone.
Can the battery be charged separately when taken out ? Could be a deal breaker for me if it isn't for those weekend away trips staying in hotels.

Sam E180

Aug 20, 2019
Barnsley
Can the battery be charged separately when taken out ? Could be a deal breaker for me if it isn't for those weekend away trips staying in hotels.
Yes it can, it Would have been a deal breaker for me for exactly the same reason. Couple of grub screws (y)(y)

Last edited:

Beezerk

Mar 23, 2019
Gateshead
How are you guys who've got your new bikes finding the ride and overall build quality?
After previously deciding on numerous bikes (as you do ?) I've realised I'd prefer one from a LBS so I can get local backup.
The Whyte is high on the list along with the new Cube and maybe Levo.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Impressive in the flesh, lots of nice details - to take the battery out you need to undo bolt and remove the motor protector, and the a bolt that holds the battery in place. internal cabling runs though that ridge in the down tube, which makes it easy to work with the cables as they don't hang up on anything internally

IMG_8013.jpeg

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I really like the look of them, but I'm a bit pissed off about the battery capacity. What are your thoughts on the actual battery capacity compared to the claimed capacity?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I really like the look of them, but I'm a bit pissed off about the battery capacity. What are your thoughts on the actual battery capacity compared to the claimed capacity?
Not sure what you are referring too - is the new Bosch battery not as big as it says?

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
No. It's about 600Wh according to the spec sheet.
1567529082826.png

If you do the Maths (36V x 16.7Ah) you get 601.2Wh. It looks to me that they are using the same cells as the 500Wh battery (actually 482.4Wh) but adding an extra 10 cells to go from a 10S4P layout to a 10S5P layout.

Also the "Energy Content Approx" set off alarm bells.

If you look at the stats for your 504Wh Shimano battery you'll see it's bang on the money at 36V and 14Ah.

Tribey

Jan 1, 2019
South Devon, UK
But Shimano's 504 watts is still less than Bosch's 601.2.
It's still a greater capacity, although granted, not the full '625'.
I'm not sure this alone would stop me buying one.

Reactions: Bis

Trickz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Sep 2, 2019
Burton upon Trent
Super jealous, my e180 is on the way, no delivery date as yet :D
Stock of 150’s also arriving in my LBS....
Super jealous, my e180 is on the way, no delivery date as yet :D
Stock of 150’s also arriving in my LBS....
So tempted on an e180 and it would be on the top of my list though I said my budget max is £5000,the only thing putting me off apart from price is the wtb wheels and no reviews yet though I’m sure it will be at least a 9/10 bike

Last edited:

Sam E180

Aug 20, 2019
Barnsley
Bought mine entirely unseen. Kinda stupid really:p I can’t find a single detailed review of the e180 yet. A demo on a kenevo had me sold on the long travel, what a blast!

My head said get the 150 but as soon as I saw the coil my heart said 180 :cool: Really hoping it arrives before the dusty trails go into hibernation again.

I get what you mean about the wheels, I’m sure they will be solid. Not exactly blingy but perfectly serviceable. I’m 95kg, make poor line choices anD trash rims for fun. Have killed hope/raceface/mavics over the years. I’m lucky enough to have a set of sixth element wheels which I’ll be swapping the rims onto the stock hubs as soon as the bike arrives.

When it does arrive anyone is welcome to have a bash, I live near Huddersfield so ride Peak District at weekend and Surrey hills during week (y)(y)(y)

Trickz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Sep 2, 2019
Burton upon Trent
Bought mine entirely unseen. Kinda stupid really:p I can’t find a single detailed review of the e180 yet. A demo on a kenevo had me sold on the long travel, what a blast!

My head said get the 150 but as soon as I saw the coil my heart said 180 :cool: Really hoping it arrives before the dusty trails go into hibernation again.

I get what you mean about the wheels, I’m sure they will be solid. Not exactly blingy but perfectly serviceable. I’m 95kg, make poor line choices anD trash rims for fun. Have killed hope/raceface/mavics over the years. I’m lucky enough to have a set of sixth element wheels which I’ll be swapping the rims onto the stock hubs as soon as the bike arrives.

When it does arrive anyone is welcome to have a bash, I live near Huddersfield so ride Peak District at weekend and Surrey hills during week (y)(y)(y)
Does look naughty with that coil,never had one TBH,I have 180mm(modified) and 165mm travel on my mega so I’ve kind of got used to a bit more travel in reserve,my previous bike was a whyte T130 s which I was running 4 front tokens and still bottom ing out?love the dt Swiss XM1501s on my mega though,light bullet proof and so easy too service and the engagement is instant.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles