Why Orbea Rise?

luna87824

E*POWAH Master
Jan 19, 2019
Just South of The Grand Canyon
So what's the advantage of having a 17.5kg bike with half the power and half the battery, of
20210320_165627.jpg
a 17.5kg bike with full power and a 500 watt hour battery?

Last edited:

Cavi

Jun 15, 2020
California, usa
Weight and feel, the orbea and the Levo SL are going to feel way more like a traditional MTB. The Orbea does not have only half the power, it is like 2/3 the power of a full Levo. honestly I ride a Levo and almost never go in to Turbo mode, I ride it in ECO 75% of the time at 24% and 25% of the time in Trail at 45%, so the Orbea would work fine and be very light and nimble. If I was buying today, that is the bike I would be buying

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
So what's the advantage of having a 17.5kg bike with half the power and half the battery, of View attachment 56186 a 17.5kg bike with full power and a 500 watt hour battery?

It's a security thing.

Would you rather be heckled for riding a mixed wheel santa?

Or be a rise rider ?

Even that seat post tells a story - who wants to go around with people sniggering because of a rigid rod when you can have one that rises on demand?

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
So what's the advantage of having a 17.5kg bike with half the power and half the battery, of View attachment 56186 a 17.5kg bike with full power and a 500 watt hour battery?
Aside from the fixed seatpost what other compromises have been made to that santa cruz to get the weight down to 17.7kg?

Looks like single pot brakes, ashima tin foil small rotors, presumably paper thin tyres. What else?

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
Yep would love to know more details! Wondering which frame size you have too?

Looks like an awesome job you have done there, as the Heckler seems like a great bike! :)

mehukatti

Apr 25, 2020
Finland
The low weight of that Heckler MX is pretty impressive, but one defining character of the "light eMTB" category for me is a slim down tube and almost indistinguishable looks from a normal bike.

Last edited:

luna87824

E*POWAH Master
Jan 19, 2019
It's a security thing.

Would you rather be heckled for riding a mixed wheel santa?

Or be a rise rider ?

Even that seat post tells a story - who wants to go around with people sniggering because of a rigid rod when you can have one that rises on demand?
Yes my 2021 Fox dropper had a top plate break and the seat went flying, still waiting on parts, and my AXS is stuck down and will not return to the upright position so it's on it's way back to Rockshox for repairs......

Last edited:

luna87824

E*POWAH Master
Jan 19, 2019
Aside from the fixed seatpost what other compromises have been made to that santa cruz to get the weight down to 17.7kg?

Looks like single pot brakes, ashima tin foil small rotors, presumably paper thin tyres. What else?
The rotors are 203's and 2.0mm thick and whats wrong with two piston brakes? Should I get 4 piston brakes for some reason?

Istari

Jan 6, 2021
Poland
Nice build,
but you put XC/trail components without dropper post and compare it to All-mountain/enduro spec components e-bike.

Check „Vecnum Nivo„ dropper post, it’s very lightweight and durable post that can work well in your light build.

Endoguru

Aug 21, 2019
Usa
I currently ride a Decoy Pro with a coil shock which is amazing for steep and rough trails. I have a Rise on order because a want a lighter poppier bike for less extreme trails with smaller jumps. Even with a 150mm 36 fork, Minion tires and bigger rotors it is still 10 points lighter than my Decoy. With the smaller battery it is more than just the 10 lbs, the weight is also lower in the frame which makes the bike easier to throw around. I almost never ride my Decoy in Boost mode so less power assist on the Rise is not a negative for me.

DarrenCC

Apr 3, 2021
Hertfordshire
Impressive effort but at what cost and compromise? I just wouldn’t ride off-road without a dropper anymore, so that’s not a worthwhile weight saving to me. Compare the cost of your admittedly light Heckler to the far cheaper Rise and you see why people will buy them

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
I used my dropper almsot as much as I shift. No way could I ride without it, no matter what the weight savings is.

A while back my dropper cable broke at the beginning of the ride. It reminded me of the old days and how scary it is dropping the steep, technical chunk with my butt way up in the air. I wouldn't want to go back to a fixed post.

Yesterday I was on my top-shelf Heckler and my buddy was on a top-shelf Rise. Both are great bikes, and we had a blast.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles