Why do we call members with 1 post "well known"?

speedkills

May 17, 2020
Boulder, CO
Is it a forum quirk? An attempt to make people feel more at home by treating them like they have been around for ages the first day they show up? I've noticed it a few times now, definitely not important, but always strikes me as odd that the only thing we can think of saying about someone after they make a single post saying "Hi" is that they are well known when it's almost the only thing we can be sure is not true.

Am I misinterpreting it?

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
Is it a forum quirk? An attempt to make people feel more at home by treating them like they have been around for ages the first day they show up? I've noticed it a few times now, definitely not important, but always strikes me as odd that the only thing we can think of saying about someone after they make a single post saying "Hi" is that they are well known when it's almost the only thing we can be sure is not true.

Am I misinterpreting it?

Or, one month in and you're "E*POWAH Elite"? ?

I think the points system got screwed with the recent board upgrade.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
What are all the different names and when do they change etc. :unsure:
Best not to get an answer on that one.
It came up on the MBR Forum (now defunct) and provoked a storm. Should the intervals be geometric or arithmetic, why those names- there are better one etc. I'm pretty sure that it also proved some to make lots of stupid and/or worthless posts, just to up the post count and get promoted to "GURU" or whatever was their next step. :(

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I think the points system got screwed with the recent board upgrade.
As he says ! :)

It used to take quite a few posts for "well known" .. elite was quite a task ..

I think more points now get awarded quite early on for being alive so the scale has slipped and probably needs adjusting - though it could lead to some people complaining that they then got downgraded.

I think we should change them to something more accurate. Like :

Idiot
Stupid Idiot
Fargin Icehole (I did like Johnny Dangerously).

Still, as I said when I got to E*POWAH Master ... at least it's not a fishing forum, as then I would have been officially have been a Master Baiter.

Moe Ped

Apr 19, 2020
Perth Australia
It’s to do with the points awarded, if you upload a custom avatar you get 50 points which gives you well known, if you create an album it gives you another 50 and you become an epower master.

MPJ

Nov 28, 2019
Chiltern Hills, UK
When I first got 'well known member' I just assumed you had seen some of my early work on some *ahem*, "artistic sites?"
Then I thought, blimey, there's a lot of us on here! ?

Kaelidoz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Apr 29, 2018
Belgium
Users titles:

1593383595718.png

And the list of trophies that get you x amount of points:

You need to bother Rob if you want to make some changes :p

speedkills

May 17, 2020
Boulder, CO
Why does anyone care ??‍♂️

It was mostly a curiousity. I read a post, that was oddly written and seemed like some sort of spam, but then I looked over and saw "well known member" and was a bit confused, as it really felt to me like one of those posts you see from a spam account that signs up a bogus account, and posts one thing, so I figured I would look and see how well know the person was, and was then surprised to see they in fact had only that one post.

Also, as mentioned earlier, if someone posts something in the classified for sale, it would be nice to know that it wasn't a person who signed up with an account, became instantly a "well known member" then sold you some good of possibly suspect origin. But now that I know, I can just look at post count, or more likely will just recognize the name at this point, but it is just a bit confusing. Usually when I encounter that, there is some story behind it, so I asked, and in this case learned it's because well known comes from an avatar, not actually posting much. To top it off, even that may be instant, for example I have no idea where this avatar or me on my Husky CR125 from a decade ago came from as my avatar, I think it might be something I had as a google circles avatar back during the 3 months google circles was a thing but ?‍♂️ It has two wheels so I left it be as close enough, but if I was really going to bother to upload a picture I'd probably make it about ten years newer, and have it include an e-bike ?

MitchF

E*POWAH Elite
Jun 1, 2019
Mirokumk38
Speedkills@
Wasn’t having a pop at you fella, you can ask anything on here??
My reply was rhetorical, I never get these “ranking” titles on forums.
All a bit hierarchical in my opinion , but I still like this forum?

speedkills

May 17, 2020
Boulder, CO
Speedkills@
Wasn’t having a pop at you fella, you can ask anything on here??
My reply was rhetorical, I never get these “ranking” titles on forums.
All a bit hierarchical in my opinion , but I still like this forum?

No worries, I never doubted your intentions, just tried to answer the question best as I could. Appreciate the follow up though, as it is so easy to misunderstand over the internet, especially with so many of us here coming from such varied backgrounds.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK

Am I misinterpreting it?
I've fixed this now and changed the way users progress through the user titles.

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
You already are!! ;-)
EDIT: Oooooh I just noticed Zimmerframes titel!
I want one too.
Master Muppet.
Actually my nickname used to be Kermit, as I was on a ski racing team and had a Kermit green ski suit!
There are Faries! And unicorns!
1593729121540.png

ROFLMAO
? Kermit Elite ? !!

I am honoured.
Thank you Miss Piggy!!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles