Who packs a spare battery on a ride, how is it?

gbarfoot

Sep 1, 2020
Colorado usa
Specifically for the shimano 504 external battery.....is anyone packing an extra on a ride? How is that experience? Is it huge, heavy, a PITA? Or do you like having a lighter bike on shorter rides and packing a spare on longer rides? Would like to know if this is a good option or if a larger internal battery is the absolute best way to go. Thanks

wildsau2

Jul 6, 2018
Germany, Karlsruhe
i have a spare BT80035 for my long comuting rides. i use a Leatt Backpack with (removable) protectors. I recommend protectors.
Most other rides are with only one 500Wh.

I prefer this over single 625 or 700Wh battery bike because
- its 1000Wh ;)
- its cheaper (Levo 700Wh is 1300Eur)
- less weight with one battery
- with one extra battery i never forget to charge (i use a countdown timer for the charger to avoid full charge)

Jeffrey

Jul 29, 2020
Switzerland
On big days I ride with a spare bosch power tube 625Wh using an evoc e-ride backpack. Appart the weight it's really comfortable to carry a spare battery with this backpack.

So far my biggest ride in the mountains (round trip, no lifts): 120km and 3600m d+

1250Wh ?

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
Most of our local track are loops. So I leave my spare in the car and can swap out when needed. I prefer this to a larger pack. The external 625 is over a kilo heavier. I do have the Evoc Eride backpack if I need to carry the battery. Wouldn't do it without a back protector. It's not too bad. Same as carrying a big water supply.

Gordon

B1rdie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
I will take an extra shimano 504 in a small backpack on rides that will last more than two and up to four hours, its worth the hassle because I can reach trails that would take a whole day ride on a bike. But on shorter rides I would not take the extra batterie only to be able to ride more time on boost, for example.

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
O bought this to carry my e8010 in my kreiga r15 backpack
It's a squeeze with water tools and jacket etc but nice and compact on the trail.
I've only took it twice when I thought I'd need it and tbh I didn't really, it just made me do more miles which isn't a bad thing.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles