Which version of the Minion DHR II should I run on my e-bike?

pufferjumper

Jun 9, 2020
USA
Font Circle Number Pattern Symmetry

I see all of these options. I can't find what the "DUAL" means. Could someone help me out? Also, the column to the left of the color, I can figure out through inference what some of these acronyms are, but the others I can't. I tried to find a key on their site, but no luck. Either way, I have an e-bike. This will be a rear tire. I ride dirt and rocks. I don't ride on muddy trails, but sometimes the rocks are a little slippery from dew.

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
Dual is dual compound, better cornering and lower rolling resistance.

3CT = 3C Maxx Terra compound
3CG = 3C Maxx Grip compound (softer and grippier than the above, wears faster)
TR = Tubeless Ready
Exo = Exo casing (reinforced but lighter than the below two)
DD = Double Down casing (extra strength although heavier)
DH = Downhill Casing (strongest but heaviest)

pufferjumper

Jun 9, 2020
USA

TR = Tubeless Ready

Wow, thank you for the great help. What percentage faster would you say the 3CG wears than the 3CT? What about grip - what percentage better grip would the 3CG have over the 3 CT?

Any recommendation of which one would be the best for me?

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
Wow, thank you for the great help. What percentage faster would you say the 3CG wears than the 3CT? What about grip - what percentage better grip would the 3CG have over the 3 CT?

How long is a piece of string? Depends on lots of factors such as conditions, rider weight and riding style. I couldn't guess..

Buy whatever compound is available in the right size, if its too grippy or wears too fast then take options with harder compound and less grip, if you need more grip vice versa

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver

Why are you changing to a DHR? It would also depends on what your past experience was with other tires, tire pressure and on whether you with be using tire inserts. For where I ride with rocks, roots, lose dirt (when its dry), I would only use a DHR II 3C DD MaxxTerra 2.4" on the rear even tho I use Cushcore as I have had one too many EXO+ tires tear from the occasional sharp rock. Maybe I would prefer the MaxxGrip but at $100+ a tire and the fuss it is to change them with tire inserts, I am fine with the MaxxTerra on the rear. FYI, I use an Assagai 3C EXO+ MaxxGrip on the front with Cushcore. The only way for you to know will be to try them!

pufferjumper

Jun 9, 2020
USA
Right now I'm running Michelin Wild Enduro Front on the front and rear. I'm ripping lugs off the rear, which is why I'm looking to change. I also run Cushcores.

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
Right now I'm running Michelin Wild Enduro Front on the front and rear. I'm ripping lugs off the rear, which is why I'm looking to change. I also run Cushcores.
Well... thats not good! I have only ever used Maxxis tires, mostly DHFs. Do you have any idea why you are ripping the lugs off?

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
This will be a rear tire. I ride dirt and rocks. I don't ride on muddy trails,

The trails I ride could be described similarly. Nowadays, part of the decision when buying tires is what's available and what's on sale. Out back, I'll only run Max-Terra. I don't get a lot of mileage on my rear tires, so I choose the longer-wearing compound. The last three DHR II's I've run have had 510 miles, 411 miles, and 421 miles. I haven't run Max Grip, but I'm assuming they would wear out WAY too quickly. I find the traction provided by the Maxx Terra to be good. I'll run EXO+ when available at a fair price. One of my tires now is a plain EXO.

InRustWeTrust

E*POWAH Master
Mar 9, 2020
Sweden
if you are going to use inserts, I would take one with maxxtera exo casing.

If you are not going to ride with inserts, I would choose a DD casing at the front and a maxxtera at the rear

militantmandy

Jan 18, 2022
Tweed Valley, Scotland
if you are going to use inserts, I would take one with maxxtera exo casing.

If you are not going to ride with inserts, I would choose a DD casing at the front and a maxxtera at the rear

Maxx Terra is compound not casing.

I would suggest a DD, Max Terra for a rear tyre. Slightly faster and better wearing than a Max Grip, with the added protection of DD. I wouldn't run a standard exo casing on either end, particularly if your trails are rocky.

mcboab

Aug 2, 2022
NE UK
Have a look at the new continental tyres Xynotal for dry Krypotal for dry mixed. They come in 3 casings DH , Enduro, Trail. I have a Krytotal Enduro I’m going run on the front. The casing is burly , nearly Schwalbe DH case & a lot more than Maxxis EXO+ .

InRustWeTrust

E*POWAH Master
Mar 9, 2020
Sweden
Maxx Terra is compound not casing.

I would suggest a DD, Max Terra for a rear tyre. Slightly faster and better wearing than a Max Grip, with the added protection of DD. I wouldn't run a standard exo casing on either end, particularly if your trails are rocky.

yes I accidentally wrote wrong, but at least you understood what I meant ;)

malo

Dec 9, 2021
Austin
I have a Trek Rail 7 and am riding with Maxxis Minion DHR/ EXO/Terra 2.5" version in the rear and DHF/EXO/Terra 2.5 in front. I've ridden about 300 miles in these tires and keep hoping if I ride a little longer I will love them. Not going to happen. The sidewalls are just too soft and the bike feels like I'm riding on balloons as it bounces. Way too much rebound. I'm switching to the DHR II in the DH version which has much stiffer sidewalls and I think is preferred for the heavier e-bikes. Once I install the DH version I'll post how these compare to the EXO.

malo

Dec 9, 2021
Austin

TR = Tubeless Ready

Don't forget the Exo+ which is in between Exo and DD.

Moshe

Feb 12, 2020
North Ridgeville, ohio,usa
How long is a piece of string? Depends on lots of factors such as conditions, rider weight and riding style. I couldn't guess..

Buy whatever compound is available in the right size, if its too grippy or wears too fast then take options with harder compound and less grip, if you need more grip vice versa
How long is a piece of string? Answer: Twice as long as half its length.

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
I have switched from DHRii max grip on the rear to max terra. I use a lot of back brake & the rear wheel is locked up on rocky descents & tight corners a lot. I would say the Max terra lasts twice as long as the max grip in this situation. After about 300kms of downhill the rear still looks as new. I don't ride in the rain but when things are damp usually go for grip but haven't found the Terra any slipperier. The Assegai max grip on the front is amazing on anything

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
I run the DD Maxx Terra on my E-bike and the EXO+ Maxx Grip on my amish bike. The Maxx Grip don’t last very long on my normal bike so I would never want to run one on the E-bike.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles