• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Answered Which fork is best?

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
I have a choice of 2 hardtail emtb
One has a Suntour XCM34 coil

The other is a Rockshox Judy Silver Air

I know air is better but the Rockshox stanchions are only 30mm. Is that a bit flaky for an EMTB?

Which is best?

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Initially I would have gone for the Suntours. The Rockshox might have slightly better internals but I would think way too light compared to the Suntours.

Saying that, the Suntours are like $160NZD compared to $490 for the Rockshox so even though they are lighter the Rockshox may have a much more solid crown which to me is probably more important.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
All useful information here. Thanks!

I know very little about front air shocks and only found out that you need to add air to them using a shock pump. I’m only planning to ride fire track type stuff. Do I need to keep checking the pressures? The Suntour XCM 34 coil seems very maintenance free compared to the RockShox Judy Silver Air. Or maybe the air shock is not that complicated in reality and I don’t need to worry too much about the settings?

khorn

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
All useful information here. Thanks!

I know very little about front air shocks and only found out that you need to add air to them using a shock pump. I’m only planning to ride fire track type stuff. Do I need to keep checking the pressures? The Suntour XCM 34 coil seems very maintenance free compared to the RockShox Judy Silver Air. Or maybe the air shock is not that complicated in reality and I don’t need to worry too much about the settings?
I bought an emtb with that fork(2019 Levo HT) for my wife and honesty it is about the worst fork I have ever ridden. It’s is extremely harsh and unless you are 100+ kg it is not even possible to set some decent sag. I took it off after 1 ride and sent it off to scrap iron as I would not even give it for free to someone. Everything would be better in my opinion, an air fork is usually set and forget and highly recommend over that piece of Plummer piping suntour call a shock.

Karsten

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
I bought an emtb with that fork(2019 Levo HT) for my wife and honesty it is about the worst fork I have ever ridden. It’s is extremely harsh and unless you are 100+ kg it is not even possible to set some decent sag. I took it off after 1 ride and sent it off to scrap iron as I would not even give it for free to someone. Everything would be better in my opinion, an air fork is usually set and forget and highly recommend over that piece of Plummer piping suntour call a shock.

Karsten

Thanks. I think my mind is made up now. Pay a bit more for quality and comfort.

khorn

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
Thanks. I think my mind is made up now. Pay a bit more for quality and comfort.
If you have an air shock and or an air fork, it is a very good idea to purchase a shock pump. They cost next to nothing and you will find that it is a very simple task to adjust pressure. Setting the sag that is the best for your personal riding style is very important in order to get the most out of any shock or fork. You can find numerous guides either here or on YouTube how to setup your suspension.

Karsten

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles