Which Enduro Full face ? Fox ProFrame or Endura MT500 Full - Other ?

Hobo Mikey

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
May 22, 2020
Where ever
Did you take it out the box first before trying it on. should have gone for the Fox.
Heres what you could have won. ?
922C2773-BAC4-4FFA-8ADB-7BA677FC1874.jpeg

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Send it back and try a Met Parachute MCR.
Damn you and your helpful advice .... I only come here for madness though :)

Did you take it out the box first before trying it on.

Do what ? I cut a head shaped hole in the bottom of the box, as you're supposed to do, and tried it on with the helmet protection system in place .. :cool:

Nope, didn't try any.. I doubt there is a shop within several hundred miles of here which actually has any of them in stock :-(

Tried the Endura again earlier .. doesn't hurt if you have it really loose .. but would wobble around all over on the DH. Also, you can't drink your coffee with it on ..

I finally understand the reason for the BMW "system" helmets - BMW riders all must drink coffee on the go. Or drink coffee in dangerous establishments where you need to wear a helmet ?

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Trajecta stage and proframe are all nice . I just dont think theyll last. Neighbor and a few reviews ive seen on the pro frame mentioned cracks. Neighbor had a sma fall after having his for a week. Fox crash replacement is 25% off. He's not interested.
Im looking at the leatt. Leatt is msking a lot of nice stuff lately. The dbx 4.0 is downhill helmet certified, decent vrnting and weight and comfy looking padding. Not as breathable as those lightweight cut away lids but it should last and the padding isnt xc helmet padding like the cut away ff's.
For convertable helmets the "sweet protection" is indeed sweet. Really interested in one of those too. Not cheap but chatting w a guy i know with one really likes it both in half shell and ff mode. It takes a little longer to snap it together or take the chinprotector off.
New tld d4 looks to have much better venting than my d3. Not sure how the venting compares to the dbx 4.0 but might be worth comparing

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Helmets .. pffffff

So the IXS Trigger FF I really like the look of design wise, but nearly everyone says they have to size down. I can't help but think that my pin head won't fit.

The MET parachute MCR I just can't be bothered with taking the chin on and off to take the helmet off. It looks amazing as a helmet, but I'm too lazy when it comes to putting a helmet on and would end up just using the No face ..

The Leat DBX 4.0 looks really nicely put together and sounds comfortable .. but it starts at size 55 .. so would be loose to start with on my 54 noggin.

Spent some time playing with the Endura .. Took all the pads out and compared them to the spares. They're all labelled exactly the same.

mt500.jpg

The pain seems to come from the welded edges of the "H" piece. On closer inspection the alternate H piece and L pieces are thicker. Not sure if this is because one lot are squashed already or if they're intentionally different ?!? Anyway ,with those swapped, it sits in place much better. Though the velcro doesn't extend all the way on the pads, so as you put the helmet on, if you don't angle your head correctly, it rolls the pads and you get plastic razor blade edged. The original pads are so thin that you just get razor bladed all over anyway.

Then tried the thicker cheek pads. With these in you start to suffer "reverse birth anxiety" as you put the helmet on. It's very painful and then causes you to leave it on because you know it's going to hurt like hell trying to take it off again ..

On the bright side, with the different H L and cheek pads it sits much more firmly and the helmet no longer feels like a nodding donkey.

Still bloody uncomfortable though ! So if I want to test if more I need to modify the pads so they have more velcro .. If I do that it's no longer as new and I can't send it back .. Crap !

DynamicObserver

May 4, 2020
South Wales
Helmets .. pffffff

So the IXS Trigger FF I really like the look of design wise, but nearly everyone says they have to size down. I can't help but think that my pin head won't fit.

The MET parachute MCR I just can't be bothered with taking the chin on and off to take the helmet off. It looks amazing as a helmet, but I'm too lazy when it comes to putting a helmet on and would end up just using the No face ..

The Leat DBX 4.0 looks really nicely put together and sounds comfortable .. but it starts at size 55 .. so would be loose to start with on my 54 noggin.

Spent some time playing with the Endura .. Took all the pads out and compared them to the spares. They're all labelled exactly the same.

View attachment 34212

The pain seems to come from the welded edges of the "H" piece. On closer inspection the alternate H piece and L pieces are thicker. Not sure if this is because one lot are squashed already or if they're intentionally different ?!? Anyway ,with those swapped, it sits in place much better. Though the velcro doesn't extend all the way on the pads, so as you put the helmet on, if you don't angle your head correctly, it rolls the pads and you get plastic razor blade edged. The original pads are so thin that you just get razor bladed all over anyway.

Then tried the thicker cheek pads. With these in you start to suffer "reverse birth anxiety" as you put the helmet on. It's very painful and then causes you to leave it on because you know it's going to hurt like hell trying to take it off again ..

On the bright side, with the different H L and cheek pads it sits much more firmly and the helmet no longer feels like a nodding donkey.

Still bloody uncomfortable though ! So if I want to test if more I need to modify the pads so they have more velcro .. If I do that it's no longer as new and I can't send it back .. Crap !

I was worried about the ixs not fitting my bigger sized small head, it fits my 8 year old and myself (s/m)

It actually fits me that well once its been dialled in it doesnt move if I shake my head and thats with the chin strap not done up.

Iv had various mx helmets, dh/enduro helmets and the only bad thing I have to say about it is ill be gutted when the bad weather sets in. Iv been caught out in the rain a few times and with all the venting I do get wet, so ill be on the lookout for one which is more sealed come winter

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
With my fitting "issues" I wrote to Endura hoping they could suggest something. I really had high hopes for this helmet and wanted to keep it.

I'd have to glue velcro strips onto the liner pieces and probably make new sections up to make it usable so wanted some guidance first, otherwise I wouldn't be able to return it if I made changes.

Well, haven't heard anything, so it's boxed and going back. Very sad.

The search and analysis has continued .. most FF helmets conform to a standard which was laid down 45 years ago. It's primary aim is to make a helmet which reduces skull fracture, but nothing else. So most Kitchen Pan's stuck on your head probably comply. This generally means there's not much drive for people to make helmets which actually reduce head/brain/neck injuries. The fact that so many of these things come with solid fixed peaks is incredible in this day and age.

Anyways, as you can see from previous posts, most things have been rejected for one reason or another ..

I got really interested in the Kali Invader. I like the look, it's well vented, thought has been put into the design and it comes with several pads to help with fitment.

Reading around though, a lot of people have problems with it being comfortable and having pressure points.

Here's inside :

Invader.jpg

Most people seem to describe the padded liner sections (the H and so on) as very limited in coverage - which is quite comical compared to the Endura which is more like a g-string compared to boxer shorts if you sit the two together. Several people say this causes it to be uncomfortable as it doesn't pad the head in enough places ! Ha - try an MT500 torture device !

The other problem is the TRN's (Total Recall Nipples - I seem to remember there was a lady in there with three breasts). These little blue triple nippled shock absorbing pads, when not covered by the liner sections, create uncomfortable pressure points. You can see at the rear of the helmet, they're not covered and the alignment on the others is a miss mash of drunken line dancing.

So whilst I like it, after my uncomfortable MT500 experiences, I'm not taking the risk ..

Which has narrowed it down to One single helmet .. with a flexible peak, adjustable fitting, light weight .... the IXS Trigger FF .. Lets see how we get on with that one ..

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
Thanks for going through the pass fail process - so I don't have to. The IXS helmets look good & I'm guessing the FF might be the winner. I have a Giro Switchblade which is a Sherman tank for your head so next one maybe IXS or Bell.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Thanks for going through the pass fail process - so I don't have to. The IXS helmets look good & I'm guessing the FF might be the winner. I have a Giro Switchblade which is a Sherman tank for your head so next one maybe IXS or Bell.

The IXS seems to get the best comments from owners for comfort, strength, wearability/temperatures. Several comments I've read were from people coming from proframes and switchblades and they all prefered the IXS.

The Leatt DBX 4.0 looks slightly more substantial (and heavier). Did read several reviews for that with people complaining of discomfort after 30 minutes, but lots of positive reviews too.

Just cancelled my IXS order as I noticed it's not in stock for 2 weeks where I ordered it from - which looks to be the same pretty much everywhere ..... MERD !

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
Just cancelled my IXS order as I noticed it's not in stock for 2 weeks where I ordered it from - which looks to be the same pretty much everywhere ..... MERD !
2 weeks doesn't sound too bad. In Aus everything - except beer - takes at least 2 weeks.

Have you looked at the Bell Super DH MIPS? It's got high level protection & weighs ~ 800g.

bell-super-dh-flex-mips-mountain-bike-helmet-fasthouse-matte-gloss-black-camo-right.jpg

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Have you looked at the Bell Super DH MIPS? It's got high level protection & weighs ~ 800g.
I'd been ignoring the Bells on the grounds they seem to suit a more rounded head shape ? I tried one several months ago and it just didn't feel right at the time. Wasn't a Super DH though. Will give it another look .

I think we have a new contender though .. I've been sitting wishing Smith did a FF helmet .. well, they've just released one !

mainline.jpg

Dear SMITH OPTICS ... please rush me 1 size small to try out ! ... Now where can I get one is the next question !!

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Those smith's look nice. Lots of venting and the chinbar looks more substantial the the other cut away ff's, atleast in the pics. Curious to hear how it fits

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Those smith's look nice. Lots of venting and the chinbar looks more substantial the the other cut away ff's, atleast in the pics. Curious to hear how it fits
It looks like they've gone for low weight, but not reduced so much that it's fragile (crap fragile rather than sacrificial fragile) and not suitable to actually protect your noggin.

Feeling hopefully on the fitting side : Three sets of uniquely sized cheek pads, two sets of uniquely sized crown liners, and two unique neck rolls are included with each helmet to ensure a proper, customized fit.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Found one ! Ordered .. due in 3-5 working days ... review to follow ....

Stock seems to be limited to "1" of each size/colour ...

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
The Smith Mainline came ... WOW !! Love it !!!!!

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Well .. it came ..

View attachment 34168

Colour wise, it looks better in real life than I expected ..

OK .. so that's the bright sides out of the way ....

Other than accidents with trees, barbed wire and smashing my head into things ... Putting my head into the MT500 and leaving it there for more than a few minutes is possibly the most uncomfortable experience I've ever had in my life.

Compared to the "no face" smiths forefront 2 (also a koroyd helmet) - which I hoped it would be similar to, it's nothing like. The smiths you can put on tighten a few clicks and it sits comfortably and in place and doesn't wobble around, even without the chin strap.

Try that with the endura and it feels like several sharp bits of plastic are being wedged into your head in multiple positions (even though you can't find anything when you take it off and look).

Putting it on and taking it off can only be classed as in a similar pain zone to either giving birth (which I've only done from the receiving end) and Kidney stones .

Endura suggest you can use it without the cheek pads. I have the small pads in and an XS 54cm head and the body fat of a shrew. Without the pads - putting it on and off is far more reasonable .. but it ends up moving about like a large breast in a washing up bowl during an earthquake.

The straps are not Y straps, so if you grab the peak (which is fixed - solidly and a great way to break your neck) or the chin piece, you can rotate the thing half way off your head, so it's not really going to give much protection in a crash ! not one of my crashes anyway.

Endura list size S/M as "S/M: 520-550g," It's actually 580g, so even that's crap.

Uhm... initial assessment .. crap ..

Maybe even crap crap crap.

My head hurts.

Am I expecting too much from a "cycling helmet" compared to a motorcycle helmet ? Something which is comfortable, stays in place ? There's absolutely no point in wearing a full face helmet if it doesn't stay in place, it's actually increasing the chances of an injury from the helmet, never mind all the things you're trying to avoid.

It's so crap I might have to write a review ..

Even my really really really, really really really crap Kenny full face helmet - is ten times better in comfort, build quality, finish, thought, design.
???

oh please don’t say ‘cycling’ helmet....it gives me the impression your hand shake would be one of those were the other guy makes a real soppy mess and holds your 4 fingers for a shake....nonono....it’s ‘biking helmet’ surely? My insecurity demands you grip and crush my hand to breaking point!

As a green noob I’m blind fully convinced I’m right in stating this fact!

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Damn you and your helpful advice .... I only come here for madness though :)

Do what ? I cut a head shaped hole in the bottom of the box, as you're supposed to do, and tried it on with the helmet protection system in place .. :cool:

Nope, didn't try any.. I doubt there is a shop within several hundred miles of here which actually has any of them in stock :-(

Tried the Endura again earlier .. doesn't hurt if you have it really loose .. but would wobble around all over on the DH. Also, you can't drink your coffee with it on ..

I finally understand the reason for the BMW "system" helmets - BMW riders all must drink coffee on the go. Or drink coffee in dangerous establishments where you need to wear a helmet ?
????? fk me you have me in stitches love it!!!! Carry on

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
I'd been ignoring the Bells on the grounds they seem to suit a more rounded head shape ? I tried one several months ago and it just didn't feel right at the time. Wasn't a Super DH though. Will give it another look .

I think we have a new contender though .. I've been sitting wishing Smith did a FF helmet .. well, they've just released one !

View attachment 34375

Dear SMITH OPTICS ... please rush me 1 size small to try out ! ... Now where can I get one is the next question !!
Look available, the green one is epic omg....not in stock but the other two are! Bike Helmet Technology | Smith Optics | US this Koroyd stuff looks epic, surely this is mandatory now?

my choices

Smith mainline
Fox proframe
....Would have been Bell super DH but not after their abysmal Bell super 3r pretend FF helmet!
Maybe met parachute....
Giro switchblade tank if I had to....

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
The Smith Mainline came ... WOW !! Love it !!!!!

talk to me baby....demand instant review.....I’ll swap for a Scott softcon review!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles