Which crankset to replace e13 on my 9.8 Rail?

js71

May 17, 2021
NW Georgia
I am spooked by all the posts about crank arms falling off with the e13 stock cranks. What is a good replacement?

PetrD

Jul 27, 2020
CZ
the Stock e13 crankset is not good for larger or strong riders. I bent the non-drive arm on a solid pedal strike. Replaced with the Hope crankset.
Where did you see this information? I am weighty rider and stock e13 crank is still good. Should I think about a carbon e13 crank version?

BJLEE

Sep 16, 2020
United States
Just put a dab of loctite on, much cheaper than a new crankset !
Had not heard this was a problem but it did happen to me in the middle of a ride without tools. Trek just put some loctite on it and haven't had a problem since. As you said, much cheaper and easier than replacing.

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
Where did you see this information? I am weighty rider and stock e13 crank is still good. Should I think about a carbon e13 crank version?
If this would be the case, there would a warning about it in bikes manual. The bike has to withstand such a rider that has been defined in Trek specification. Hitting the crank to rocks is enormous force that can break also the motor internal parts.

I'm a little surprised if the carbon ones are any stronger.

Last edited:

PetrD

Jul 27, 2020
CZ
Carbon cranks are definitely much stronger, but they miss elasticity, so the carbon ones are fragile.
I upgraded e13 165 to 170 but still on alloy.

PetrD

Jul 27, 2020
CZ
I agree, the shorter cranks are much better for hits.
But I'm very tall and heavy and I wanted to make more use of leg lengths. That's why I bought longer cranks with protection. It brings power and stability. After upgrade, my performance has shifted significantly (I was surprised!)

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles