Trek Rail 9.8 Clunk

BobMtnBkr

Mar 17, 2022
Williamsburg VA
New ’21 Trek Rail 9.8 XT clunks and rattles over big bumps. Is there a consensus as to what is causing the knocking noises and recommended fixes? My forum search was inconclusive. Thanx...

Barks507

Mar 8, 2021
London
New ’21 Trek Rail 9.8 XT clunks and rattles over big bumps. Is there a consensus as to what is causing the knocking noises and recommended fixes? My forum search was inconclusive. Thanx...
It's backlash in the motor. Some people get it worse than others. There is lots of reading material on here about it. It bothered me at first but now I hardly notice it.

BobMtnBkr

Mar 17, 2022
Williamsburg VA
Have 115 miles on bike and the clunking seemed to be getting worse. Found contact marks on the bottom of the battery and bottom of the inner frame tube. Also noticed RIB brace had not been installed (contrary to what the LBS said). LBS is installing RIB brace and misc. parts per SERVICE MANUAL SUPPLEMENT Rev 1 June 2021. Hopefully this will fix the clunking noise.

Ushtang

Sep 14, 2020
USA
Have 115 miles on bike and the clunking seemed to be getting worse. Found contact marks on the bottom of the battery and bottom of the inner frame tube. Also noticed RIB brace had not been installed (contrary to what the LBS said). LBS is installing RIB brace and misc. parts per SERVICE MANUAL SUPPLEMENT Rev 1 June 2021. Hopefully this will fix the clunking noise.

This is what did it for me. After this was fitted, clunking from battery was totally gone.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles