Which Brand of Pads?

Monkey Dog

Jun 4, 2020
Derbyshire
My brakes on my analogue bike were quite bad, but a rough up with a sanding block for the pads & a wipe with brake cleaner for the rotors / pads has made them good again (glazed over).
Eventually they'll need replacing. Any recommendations on brand.... I'm not heavey on my brakes but I like to know they're there if you need them.
There's so many on eBay to choose from & I don't want to buy some crappy ones that look & sound good.
I've searched YouTube & Google to no avail.

KeithO

Apr 9, 2020
England
I’ve always found the nukeproofs of versions of any pad a good choice and not too pricey - I’m to buy new pads soon and probably go for semi-sintered

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I’ve always found the nukeproofs of versions of any pad a good choice and not too pricey - I’m to buy new pads soon and probably go for semi-sintered

I just bought a pack of Nukeproof pads for my MT7’s. 4 pads (one brake) were £20. Will try one end, then order another set if they’re any good... but they get a very good write up.

markfitton

Jul 6, 2020
uk
They do look good and pricing is excellent as well. Lots of pad options to choose from.
If you get some let me know how you get on . got a month left in the ones I'm using. just watched the vid above , looks like the ceramic are great , but I think the sintered last longer. Just so bloody noisy when damp and wet.

Dezmond 22

Jan 7, 2020
Australia
Disco brakes.com have loads of variety of compounds and less than 1/2 the price of fancy pants brands , I buy them in bulk
I used to hate my Code R brakes until i switched over to the ceramic pads from Disco now love them.

Stretch40

Jun 26, 2019
Durham
Trickstuff are the best pads as tested by many including e bike magazine they gave 18% more power on Dyno than any other pads but there expensive ISH I'm using gorilla pads there's 3 types ceramic sintered and semi metallic there from Kendal there cheap I've got semi metallic for winter and use trickstuff power pads in summer the difference from Shimano pads was unreal if I hadn't tried them myself I wouldn't believe it ! different people like different pads cos some are grabby some more progressive that's my 2p lol your rotor size makes biggest difference to power though ?

iXi

E*POWAH Master
Feb 17, 2019
Brisbane
I liked nukeproof but now postage from wiggle is too much to Aust now so I've been using stock pads. The ones that came with the G2's where good, sram power pad or something like that.

mtbninja

Jul 13, 2020
Canberra, Australia
I liked nukeproof but now postage from wiggle is too much to Aust now so I've been using stock pads. The ones that came with the G2's where good, sram power pad or something like that.
I always buy them with other products I need and get the free shipping. Order some shoes or tyres or a chain etc. Sometimes need a new set of Grips too.

jsharpe

May 15, 2019
USA
Disco brakes out of stock of the MT7 pads in ceramic ? shame, fancied some of them!!

I’ll have to wait ?
I had wanted to try both their ceramic formulas on my Guide REs but found they were also backordered for months so ended up trying some of their kevlar version. I'm very happy with them and will probably order them again when it's time. They have the same power and quietness ratings as the ceramic pro formula with better life expectancy (only lose one step on heat dissipation). The hardened ceramic formula seemed more of a compromise pad not having the highest rating for any category but having pretty good values in each category. Given how cheap they are and that I haven't had problems with heat even on very long steep downhills the kevlar formula actually works perfect for me.

Last edited:

04fuxake

Feb 12, 2018
Porirua, NZ
I will say, international shipping from Disco is damn slow. Ordered mine on 3 Aug and they still haven't arrived. I even paid extra for the "fast" option.

jsharpe

May 15, 2019
USA
I had read lots of good things about these as well. However, I wish they had a US based distributor. My order from them took many weeks to make it through the post only to eventually be sent back as "undeliverable" :( At least they were good about issuing a refund and I found out later the package did get returned to them. I didn't want to risk it a second time (the address was correct and valid) so I ended up ordering some from Disco Brakes (see my other post).

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles