Which bike for a small female in BC?

Smeer

Mar 2, 2020
Vancouver
So I just got a refund for my 2020 Liv Intrigue Pro 1 E+ (same as Giant Trance Pro). I was having issues with the bike and in the three months I had it, it was in the shop for 20+ days. Now I am looking for a new bike, presumably during the worst time to try and find one. I definitely want to buy from a LBS, so consumer direct bikes are not an option for me.

BTW: I am in BC, Canada.

I do want to get a bike soon, as I need the e-bike for a medical issue, without a bike, I can't ride and I don't want to go 6 months without riding (may have gotten slightly addicted!). I only used my Giant in minimal assist (75-150%), it was purely to support me because my medical issue, I like to still get a workout but be able togo much longer / do more laps.

I am a small female 140lbs / 5'4 and ride 3 times a week on average, mainly blue/easy blacks on the North Shore of Vancouver. I like technical riding, but won't be doing any big drops. All the riding around where I live is quite technical, with lots of drops / rock rolls and TTFs.

My regular bike was 27.5, my 'old' ebike was 27.5 as well, though it seems that these days 90% of all bikes are 29inch. I am a bit hesitant to move to 29, as I am wondering how good it will be (for me) on the tight switchbacks /technical climbs.

I test rode three - all parking lot / local road hill demo's:
  • 2020 Norco VLT C3 with Shimano e7000 (27.5): This bike is my ideal bike on paper, because the bike is 1400$ off (!) and comes down to about $5500 + tax. However, I did not like the Shimano e7000, it felt like I had way less power then on any of the other bikes and the overall fit wasn't as good as the others. I want to like this bike, because of the wheel size and price.... but the Shimano motor has me less excited. I am afraid it may be underpowered.

• 2021 Specialized Turbo Levo with Brose (29in): Loved this one. No complaints, it rode perfectly, fitted nicely but darn... 29in feels HUGE. Over budget at 6900+tax - doable, but... I wish I could keep it < 6000/6500

• 2021 Trek Rail 5 with Bose Performance CX (29in): Loved the look of the bike and specs are perfectly fine for me, service was fantastic at the LBS but holy moly, this bike is so loud, I was really taken back by the noise compared to my Giant (Yamaha), the Brose and even the Shimano! Even in minimal assist. Price is 6700 + tax.
Only other option, but with a wait until February:
  • 2021 Commencal Meta Power Ride XC (27.5 OR 29in) - New Shimano EP8: It is consumer direct, wouldn't be my initial choice, but the price is right at $5500. Though Squamish (where they have a service center is +/- 1.5 hours from my home).
  • Norco is sold out pretty much every where, Santa Cruz above my budget and Rocky Mountain Altitudes are not available until next spring, unfortunately.

My question, based on the above: anyone have any experience with any of the bikes? What would you recommend?
Will the Shimano e7000 be underpowered?
And also, any other small people that ride 29in and like it or regret it?

Last edited:

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
I was going to say rocky mt because 27.5 and good motor and warrantee. Kona has great standover, warrantee and 27.5 option. I suppose a mullet might be worth considering too

Smeer

Mar 2, 2020
Vancouver
I was going to say rocky mt because 27.5 and good motor and warrantee. Kona has great standover, warrantee and 27.5 option. I suppose a mullet might be worth considering too

None of those in stock anywhere in BC (Mullet isn't sold here at all), and not going to be until Spring next year unfortunately.

Last edited:

Crawford919

Aug 7, 2019
USA

Smeer

Mar 2, 2020
Vancouver

While some Haro bikes are available in Canada, unfortunately the FS mtb's arent'...

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
I guess youve looked at devinci. I demoed the longer travel one with 27.5 wheels . Nice bike. Lots of standover and chainstay wasn't too long . Could be a decent fit.
Might be able to get a 2021 trek rail. Some off them have been released and ez to flip the chip so you can put a 27.5 rear wheel in. Bosch motor is good. Rail 7 was a great price last year. Not sure about '21.
Cube dealer on the coast and theyre probably the best price on a emtb from an lbs. Stereo hybrid 160 is a top pick and bosch motor too. 27.5 wheels and geo is quite good. Im not sure how the standover is. I want to throw a leg over one of those to see

Smeer

Mar 2, 2020
Vancouver
I guess youve looked at devinci. I demoed the longer travel one with 27.5 wheels . Nice bike. Lots of standover and chainstay wasn't too long . Could be a decent fit.
Might be able to get a 2021 trek rail. Some off them have been released and ez to flip the chip so you can put a 27.5 rear wheel in. Bosch motor is good. Rail 7 was a great price last year. Not sure about '21.
Cube dealer on the coast and theyre probably the best price on a emtb from an lbs. Stereo hybrid 160 is a top pick and bosch motor too. 27.5 wheels and geo is quite good. Im not sure how the standover is. I want to throw a leg over one of those to see

Devinci is out of my budget at $7200+. There are some '20 on sale, but all are X or XL.

I went to the Trek dealer in my neighbourhood. Fantastic service, tried the Rail 5 '21 (Rail 7 is $8000 and thus over budget), they do not have any '20 bikes in stock and they also only have 29 this year... I loved the bike but I find the noise of the Bosch motors a bit too much.

Do you know of a Cube dealer on the coast with stock?

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Devinci is out of my budget at $7200+. There are some '20 on sale, but all are X or XL.

I went to the Trek dealer in my neighbourhood. Fantastic service, tried the Rail 5 '21 (Rail 7 is $8000 and thus over budget), they do not have any '20 bikes in stock and they also only have 29 this year... I loved the bike but I find the noise of the Bosch motors a bit too much.

Do you know of a Cube dealer on the coast with stock?
I cant remember the store. I googled cube or cube canada and there was an ebike store near the top of the search that was in the lower mainland. The cube distributor is in squampton. They might even have a demo center i suppose, idk. Cube is a bosch motor too. I recommended them to a friend out east. He might have an inch or 2 on you but not much taller than 5"4'. He loves it. So much he went and got one for the boy too. Theyre out all the time now. He's a moto guy and theyre abusing them like a moto smashing stuff. He broke a display and they fixed him up the next day. Not sure if it was bosch that had parts or the shop though.

Last edited:

Smeer

Mar 2, 2020
Vancouver
I cant remember the store. I googled cube or cube canada and there was an ebike store near the top of the search that was in the lower mainland. The cube distributor is in squampton. They might even have a demo center i suppose, idk. Cube is a bosch motor too. I recommended them to a friend out east. He might have an inch or 2 on you but not much taller than 5"4'. He loves it. So much he went and got one for the boy too. Theyre out all the time now. He's a moto guy and theyre abusing them like a moto smashing stuff. He broke a display and they fixed him up the next day. Not sure if it was bosch that had parts or the shop though.

Maybe it was cit-e-cycles? They also have no stock in the < 8000 price range.

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Maybe it was cit-e-cycles? They also have no stock in the < 8000 price range.
Thats too bad. The bottom of the line 160 was pretty dialed as is. Id consider phoning cube in squamish to see when the new '21 bikes are in, if thats possible.. I think that was the shop i found. Slim picking. Crazy. I see orbea is being sold in canada now . The orbea wild fs seems to get good reviews. Another bosch bike. I can't remember geo or even wheel size on those. Ebike store in vernon is going to carry them so probably someone in the lower mainland too. Marin and felt are sold in canada as well. I know felt had a good price and it looked decent. I think marin has an emtb as well. I think district in kamloops have felt. Scott is probably too pricey? Niner? That 180 mullet bikes looks sweet. Maybe theyre online though, not sure

Dirk74

Subscriber
Jun 6, 2020
Germany
If the Turbo Levo was the best one for you except the 29in wheels, then why not just replace them with 27.5in wheels?

The rear has a flip chip and for the front you could just get an 160mm air shaft

Smeer

Mar 2, 2020
Vancouver
If the Turbo Levo was the best one for you except the 29in wheels, then why not just replace them with 27.5in wheels?

The rear has a flip chip and for the front you could just get an 160mm air shaft

yeah that is an option! The Specialized is stretching my budget already though, and wheels and an air shaft can’t be cheap either? Though I could do it later, of course.

Smeer

Mar 2, 2020
Vancouver
I ended up finding a Rocky Mountain Instinct Powerplay, 3 hrs away from my home. It is in my budget and better specs then the Specialized Levo base model... so, going to pick it ip next week!

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
I guess it'd be more like 4hrs away but revelstoke mountain resort sold all their emtb's last year. Not a lot of use on the bikes. As many tourists rent them to go around town as go.in the park. A lot do one run in the park if they go. The bikes they had this year were levo, kenevo, pivot, scott. Not sure on the models of each. I would guess the levo and kenevo's would still have 3 1/2 years warrantee left on them. Might be worth a check to see if they have a small levo , barely used at an end of season sale if levo is still on your mind.

Jubby

Aug 23, 2020
Langley, BC
Hey Smeer, how did you make out with the Instinct? I took one out for a demo in delta but wasn't impressed with Rocky's motor.
I ended up buying a Rail 7 29er. I mostly ride at the shed, sumas and squamish. The 29er does take some getting use to at cornering but once you get the feel for it you will love 29ers. I am 5"7 and ride a medium and I simply love how the bike feels. It rolls over tech so much better and requires less effort on the climbs. I had a Bulls evo before at 27.5 but the bb was far to low and pedal strikes were almost every ride.

Smeer

Mar 2, 2020
Vancouver
Hey Smeer, how did you make out with the Instinct? I took one out for a demo in delta but wasn't impressed with Rocky's motor.
I ended up buying a Rail 7 29er. I mostly ride at the shed, sumas and squamish. The 29er does take some getting use to at cornering but once you get the feel for it you will love 29ers. I am 5"7 and ride a medium and I simply love how the bike feels. It rolls over tech so much better and requires less effort on the climbs. I had a Bulls evo before at 27.5 but the bb was far to low and pedal strikes were almost every ride.

Hey! I was actually able to test one locally (though not the model I was going to purchase) and I also wasn’t a fan of the motor. My LBS said they will stop carrying the ebikes because of ‘problems’ they said. So back to the drawing board...

I liked the Trek and I have a store 10 min fron my home but I found that motor SO loud. And in general, I found the bike quite loud. Noise from the motor and some clunking noise as well. Shop said some of that will pass with time, but not sure I want to take that chance.

This will be my 3rd (!!) ebike this year after two bad purchases with Giant (that I got refunded). Just want to get it right this time.

I always ride with non-ebikers and I really want to have a bike as quiet as possible. If the Trek would have been quieter I would have bought it in a heart beat!

And I am getting used to the idea of the 29er. I do ride techy trails and the potential of more grip, maybe less peddle clip and such seem inviting...

Jubby

Aug 23, 2020
Langley, BC
Hey Smeer,
Yeah I hear you loud an clear as my Bulls had two motor warrantys this year. Quiet is a plus with a Brose motor for sure but it has its downfalls too. BMZ supplies the Brose motors and they are on the east coast of USA so my two motors took months for replacement. When I sold the Bulls one of my biggest reasons for getting a Trek with a Bosch motor is support. Bosch have local support reps here in Vancouver and I hear they have outstanding customer support. The motor noise took me a little getting use to but now after two months of riding I barely notice it. Brose is belt driven so it will always be quieter than Shimano, Bosch or Rocky. The level of assist makes a big difference in noise, I ride mostly eco so not much noise, but if your grinding up in turbo you will definitely hear more gear action. Like I said, I barely notice the noise on climbs now?
As for other noises on the Rail, I read some peeps have regreased there headsets due to lack of grease applied at the time of building. I also know the Rail 5 uses a lighter more flexible rotor than the Rail 7 or 9. I was originally going to purchase a Rail 5 and the Trek store in PoCo was going to upgrade the rotors to a stiffer Shimano set free of charge as I took the bike out for a test ride and I could hear flexing noise from the thinner stock rotors. The flex in the rotors has caused some creaking issues from other Rail 5 owners from reading online. I really liked the Rail 7 groupset(with beefy Shimano rotors stock) and a larger 625 battery so I decided to bite the bullet and I'm happy I did!

Smeer

Mar 2, 2020
Vancouver
Hey Smeer,
Yeah I hear you loud an clear as my Bulls had two motor warrantys this year. Quiet is a plus with a Brose motor for sure but it has its downfalls too. BMZ supplies the Brose motors and they are on the east coast of USA so my two motors took months for replacement. When I sold the Bulls one of my biggest reasons for getting a Trek with a Bosch motor is support. Bosch have local support reps here in Vancouver and I hear they have outstanding customer support. The motor noise took me a little getting use to but now after two months of riding I barely notice it. Brose is belt driven so it will always be quieter than Shimano, Bosch or Rocky. The level of assist makes a big difference in noise, I ride mostly eco so not much noise, but if your grinding up in turbo you will definitely hear more gear action. Like I said, I barely notice the noise on climbs now?
As for other noises on the Rail, I read some peeps have regreased there headsets due to lack of grease applied at the time of building. I also know the Rail 5 uses a lighter more flexible rotor than the Rail 7 or 9. I was originally going to purchase a Rail 5 and the Trek store in PoCo was going to upgrade the rotors to a stiffer Shimano set free of charge as I took the bike out for a test ride and I could hear flexing noise from the thinner stock rotors. The flex in the rotors has caused some creaking issues from other Rail 5 owners from reading online. I really liked the Rail 7 groupset(with beefy Shimano rotors stock) and a larger 625 battery so I decided to bite the bullet and I'm happy I did!

Yeah the 7 is out of my budget! So it could only be the 5, which I tested in PoCo. Had a great experience in the store, liked the test ride but the noise the bike made really put me off.

I may go for another test ride on the Levo and the Rail to compare, maybe i’ll test the 7 just to see if it is any different.

All stores also just seem to have 1 in stock with nothing more coming until next year. Don’t want to miss out either :)

Jubby

Aug 23, 2020
Langley, BC
Well like I mentioned in the last reply, the Levo (Brose) will definitely be quieter than the Trek(Bosch) as Brose is belt and Bosch is gear driven. In my opinion and past experience I think having reliable support close to home was a major factor for me the second time around. After my 2 Brose motors failed I spent many hours of researching motor issues and Bosch had much less than Brose.

There should be no difference in noise of motors between the Rail 5 and 7 as they are the same drive unit. Rotor noise during pedaling may be heard on the Rail 5 due to flexing.

As for stock, covid has made it a record year for every bike store in the world and bike manufacturers could simply not see or meet the demands. I have read online that some 2021 models wont be released until late summer next year!
If I were you I would call Trek today and ask them if you could take there Rail demo up to Burke or the coq trail today, you will get a better idea how the bike feels and sounds riding it on the trail.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles