Which hardtail bike for an heavier rider?

Khios

Sep 19, 2019
Belgium
Hello everyone, I'm here to ask about opinions on my first eMTB bike choice. I've packed some weight lately and would love to get back in shape, I tried cycling on a gravel that I own but to be totally honest it's painful, both for my arse and my hearth, as soon as it get past 5% I feel like I'm going to die :D

I'm currently weighing 115kg (253 pounds/18 stones) and measuring 177cm (5.8ft), 31 years old. I was a swimmer when I was younger and so I want to get back in shape for starting my 30s in the best shape since my late teens.
I'm thinking of getting an hardtail, one because I'm used to riding on those since I'm young and two because of the price point/equipement. I'm nearly set on a bike but would like some advice from more experienced owners.

My thinking is that, since I would like to do 40km+ (25+miles) I should go, considering my weight and my fitness level, with a 625Wh battery. So it rules out older 2019 models at my price point of 3000$.

I'm going to use the bike mainly on sunday randos and maybe for commuting, I' 27km away from work and since it takes me 40min using my car, the 20 minutes more wouldn't be a deal breaker for me, I could enjoy the flat canal road rather than the freeway.

So for the bike, I would go with this 2020 Cube Reaction. 625Wh battery, new Bosch 2020 motor and Shimano 12 speed.
334322_light.jpg
I drive tested a Levo hardtail 2019 yesteray and loved it, but the battery seems only to be 400Wh and eventhough I live in the flat land known as Belgium, I'm right next to some terrils and will definitely climb those, there's 4 with mtb tracks in a 10km distance from me...
For those who don't know was a terril is (I don't know the word in English...). The equipment seems subpar compared to the cube and eventhough the design is amazing I would feel bad about the investment.
Bruay-la-Buissi%C3%A8re_-_Terril_n%C2%B0_10%2C_3_de_Bruay_Ouest_%2803%29.JPG

Do you have any other recommendations? There's so many bikes nowadays it's hard to choose one :)

Thank you and have a nice day!

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles