Which motor which hardtail

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Iam currently looking at a hardtail ebike for my wife , its going to do mainly road miles as a commuter . A few bike shops have said to buy bosch motor as it’s most reliable and that’s seems to be most popular in many if the bikes of choice which looks like a cube reaction which seems to have best spec for around 2.5k .
main Motor choice these days seems to be shimano ep8 or the latest Bosch . And I can’t see any hardtail in that price range with shimano motors
any ideas or links to which motor is best these days

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Can’t really go wrong with Reaction Hybrid and Bosch motor.

for commuting you might want to consider getting one complete with stand, mudguards and lights.

66B9E3CB-5723-43F3-BC82-ED9EE748F641.png

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
TBH for road/commuting use and depending on distances to work I'd be making sure whatever motor you do go for can be derestricted to at least 20mph as 15mph is lower than normal bike cruising pace on the flat.
UK stock is still extremely low across the board for Eebs and normal bikes. So if you're in a hurry for it you may not have much choice at all.
Whyte do an actual commuter range with Steps E6000 motors, mudguards etc.
Edinburgh bicycle co op still have some stock

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
had a bit of a day of it trying to work out between the cube reaction and the hybrid they call the nature . Both can have the latest 85nm motor and 625 battery similar geo and price . Reaction I think looks better and lower standover . Wife more interested in nice colours ?

good point Gary I hadn’t thought about de restriction . Since the pear tune on my shimano refused to work after an update I figured it had become a bit difficult to achieve these days but having ridden with a mate on a ebike and me on my roadie the speed limiter was an issue on Flat roads Nto that we have many flat roads round here

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Stunlocker app will derestrict up to the last but one Shimano motor update on the E8000. it's £1.50 for the App and it's pretty useful/better than shimanos own app. then it's around £30 to buy the full licence allowing derestriction/region change (20mph) and wheel circumferance alteration allowing full derestriction.
The Stunlocker author @vadII on here can advise you how to replace your firmware with an older version.

Yeah. pretty hilly down your way so it might not matter too much. (20mph is far nicer on the flat though)

Wife more interested in nice colours ?
Hahah... my girlfriend's exactly the same with bikes

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Stunlocker app will derestrict up to the last but one Shimano motor update on the E8000. it's £1.50 for the App and it's pretty useful/better than shimanos own app. then it's around £30 to buy the full licence allowing derestriction/region change (20mph) and wheel circumferance alteration allowing full derestriction.
The Stunlocker author @vadII on here can advise you how to replace your firmware with an older version.

Yeah. pretty hilly down your way so it might not matter too much. (20mph is far nicer on the flat though)

Hahah... my girlfriend's exactly the same with bikes
Stunlocker I’ll look into that , sounds better value than the peartune that became obsolete in a year and messed with readout and caused problems with low gears at times . I’ve not been keepin up with changes over the last year or so and stuff has moved on real fast . I have access the computer app so can take me backwards on the update when I get round to it . I think also after the problems with the first motor I would leave it until warranty expired just incase .

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles