Where are the SHORT travel Ebikes at??

Hardtail

Mar 8, 2021
Uk
I ride a Mondraker Prime 120mm hardtail, it is light and fast. I use it a lot to commute, city and country, long fast miles. I also enjoy epic long days out in the mountains exploring peaks.
I have found its limits though and not where I thought a hardtail would be... climbing steep bumpy stuff. It just can't keep the traction of the fully suss bikes.
But I don't want to give up to much of the fast daily commute stuff on asphalt that the hardtail does so well. I am often riding to the limit of the battery on a daily commute, tour mode most of the time and EMTB/turbo as required or on the steep stuff.
What I would like to consider is a 120mm XC style full power emtb, I prefer Bosch. Even a 130mm travel would be good. My thinking is that the lower travel gets the better XC style geometry that I prefer.
I see the Cube stereo Hybrid 120, but is that all that is available?
Trek Ecaliber is too lightweight in the motor department and too expensive for the spec.
What are the other options?

Hardtail

Mar 8, 2021
Uk
I just saw Robs video of the Focus Thron, 130mm, it nearly ticks all the boxes but at 26kgs!? it's a miss... That's as heavy as my brothers' KTM Machina enduro bike. Sure the Thron has the bigger battery but that is only 1kg, why so heavy Focus?

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Best compromise to meet both of your riding requirements would be a trail bike and travel up to 150 would not be an issue if fork and shock had lock out options, more especially the shock. At extra cost, but a second change out rear wheel would give you the option for more suitable tyres for each type of ride.

Hardtail

Mar 8, 2021
Uk
Best compromise to meet both of your riding requirements would be a trail bike and travel up to 150 would not be an issue if fork and shock had lock out options, more especially the shock. At extra cost, but a second change out rear wheel would give you the option for more suitable tyres for each type of ride.
Yeah, I already have 2 different wheelsets, 2.1 Racing Ralph for the commutes, they are on 80% of the year at the moment. and 2.6 Maxxis Rekon for the mountain adventures.
I would definitely get a shock lockout for the road miles but I would still want a 120mmish travel bike for the geometry...

lindbeckb

Feb 2, 2022
Aberdeen
not sure what price point your looking for but the canyon neuron: on looks like a reasonable option less the Shimano motor instead of a bosch . I dont think the 130mm of travel would be a put off if your riding you'r current 120 hardtail to its limits.

TheRealPoMo

Apr 18, 2020
Queensland
I was all set to go to a Stereo Hybrid 120 because I feel my requirements do not warrant enduro suspension travel. Issue I found at least here in Oz is that in this range, the upper echelon models are not imported, so getting half decent components is difficult....same with high end HT's.
Talking to retailer/importer, they said people in my situation are buying 160's in the mid to high spec whether they use the travel or not. Cost is similar IF a 120 in similar spec was available... which is not.
Plus is (as I recently discovered after the floods here), when your previously smooth fire road or blue trail turns nasty, you have the goods to deal with it. Overkill sure, but plenty of people have mega 4wd's that barely see dirt.

andyb2

Jan 10, 2020
somerset
The Scott Genius eRide has 160/150 front/rear, but does come with remote lockout for both on the handlebars

edit: the Scott Strike has 140/140 also with remote lockout

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
1651144646850.png

Hardtail

Mar 8, 2021
Uk
Overkill sure, but plenty of people have mega 4wd's that barely see dirt.
I'm originally from Melbourne, so I'm familiar with the "Toorak tractors"..!
I ended up buying my bro a KTM Macina Kapoho in the UK and took it home for Xmass with me for him, as there was nothing that I could find close that matched his riding style in Aus! I chose the KTM because it has the same battery as my Mondraker, so now I use it for longer rides.

edit: the Scott Strike has 140/140 also with remote lockout
That's a good shout!

Cannondale Habit Neo 140/130
Nice find, with the carbon front triangle some of those specs are over x2 what I paid for the Mondraker!! Nice bike all the same.

The E-caliber is just too much money for not enough bike I think... I really want 120mm travel with a full-fat motor, 625WH battery minimum and 23ish kg's. I thought that would be a dime a dozen type bike?

Are there any others out there?

Cheers,

Hardtail

Mar 8, 2021
Uk
not sure what price point your looking for but the canyon neuron: on looks like a reasonable option less the Shimano motor instead of a bosch . I dont think the 130mm of travel would be a put off if your riding you'r current 120 hardtail to its limits.
The Canyon is nearly perfect, I just don't think I could go to an EP8 after riding a Bosch...

Lisa

Apr 26, 2022
BC
I ride a Mondraker Prime 120mm hardtail, it is light and fast. I use it a lot to commute, city and country, long fast miles. I also enjoy epic long days out in the mountains exploring peaks.
I have found its limits though and not where I thought a hardtail would be... climbing steep bumpy stuff. It just can't keep the traction of the fully suss bikes.
But I don't want to give up to much of the fast daily commute stuff on asphalt that the hardtail does so well. I am often riding to the limit of the battery on a daily commute, tour mode most of the time and EMTB/turbo as required or on the steep stuff.
What I would like to consider is a 120mm XC style full power emtb, I prefer Bosch. Even a 130mm travel would be good. My thinking is that the lower travel gets the better XC style geometry that I prefer.
I see the Cube stereo Hybrid 120, but is that all that is available?
Trek Ecaliber is too lightweight in the motor department and too expensive for the spec.
What are the other options?
Look at the entry level giant e mtb. Great set up for xc riding. Does not have Bosch motor but still get excellent performance from the Yamaha motor. Travel is in the 140 range I believe. I have the womens and hubby has mens version. Love ‘em

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
I will share my experience. 2019 i had tons of fun on my Yamaha/Haibike HT 120mm 27+.
With a Rekon 3c 2.8 traction was great when i found the proper PSI.
It was stolen so since 2020 i am on Giant/Yamaha Stance E+ and again tons of fun never a problem.
The front is 130/120 rear. Good to commute(i do not have a car) and fun in trails.
My do it all Ebike. It comes on 2.4 but i prefer 2.6. Maybe some Nobby Nic would serve you well.
I do not want more suspension or a longer wheelbase. This is fine for me.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles