Short Cranks.. Where ya all buying them from?

GDAS

Sep 19, 2018
Surrey, UK
If you search the forum for "Dillglove" (the Miranda importers - I think you can buy direct from them) you should find some contact details

Last edited:

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
What size? I have a pair of the 152mm KTM Branded cranks that Merlin sell. I only used them for a couple of rides and went back to the long cranks.

Janluke

Patreon
Dec 16, 2018
Scotland
Excuse my ignorance but apart from avoiding pedal strikes what are the other advantages of shorter cranks?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Just avoiding pedal strikes on technical fast climbs. However I would say that (and all credit for @Gary for persistently ramming this point home) that getting your technique adjusted to deal with it is the real solution, but the shorter cranks definitely help

I run 160mm cranks and wouldn't want to go lower than that, simply because of the increased cadence which feels a bit unnatural to me, but I am quite sensitive to crank lengths as spent a lot fo time on track bikes in the past where any change in crank length is very noticeable.

Knobby

Patreon
Jun 13, 2018
Hampshire, UK
I’m running 152mm at the moment. It takes a lot more power to match someone with normal length pedals. I was very surprised when I started to ride more with another ebike with standard length arms.

I want to go 160mm. 152mm is really too short.

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
I’m running 152mm at the moment. It takes a lot more power to match someone with normal length pedals. I was very surprised when I started to ride more with another ebike with standard length arms.

I want to go 160mm. 152mm is really too short.
Strange you say that my mate has 150 cranks and I thought it would slow him down , he does pedal like a Duracell bunny but there doesn’t seem to be any change in speed , we’re both on the same bikes too .

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
I run 160mm cranks and wouldn't want to go lower than that, simply because of the increased cadence which feels a bit unnatural to me, but I am quite sensitive to crank lengths as spent a lot fo time on track bikes in the past where any change in crank length is very noticeable.
I could be wrong, but isn’t cadence defined purely by your gear ratios? Yes your feet will be travelling a shorter distance per rev, but at slower speed so cadence is unaltered. Or is the point that you are making that the reduced leverage forces the rider to turn a lighter gear all the time, hence cadence increases for a given speed?

Tim29

Jul 10, 2018
Left the building
My bikes have 165 and 170mm cranks. I have considerably les pedal strikes with 165mm arms.
160 travel has 170
180 travel has 165
On chunky trails i run 20% sag in rear and my bike is slack enough to handle that setup without upsetting the downhill ability.

Russell

Dec 16, 2018
Iow
I found with shorter 152 mm cranks that I get less pedal strikes and that I don't Bob up and down so much when spinning them at higher cadence. They may have lost a bit of power but its a ebike so who cares.

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Pretty much this. I also found that range was negatively affected too.
Yes, that makes some sense. There is no doubt when I ride my Dad's Bosch in EMTB mode spinning at high cadence with the same effort results in more motor support than pushing the cranks harder and having it "match" that additional effort.

Mr CRUD

Patreon
Dec 18, 2018
Robin Hoods Bay
I changed from 175 to 165, Shimano 8000. Totally worth it, especially if you ride sheep trails a lot like I do. I virtually never catch the pedals now, used to be a big problem. Amazing how much difference 10mm makes.

hemi.rokingi

Dec 13, 2018
Australia
I changed from 175 to 165, Shimano 8000. Totally worth it, especially if you ride sheep trails a lot like I do. I virtually never catch the pedals now, used to be a big problem. Amazing how much difference 10mm makes.

Which crankset did you swap to? Very interested in doing a similar swap!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles