When you pass 50 . . . You are an old fart, so let's see your ride!

Crees

Sep 1, 2022
Sheffield
I'm 54 dudes and this is my Rockrider eST900.
I've fitted:Renthal Fatbar Lite bars, Nukeproof Neutron stem, Ergon Grips, Ergon SM Pro Saddle and Crank Bros Stamp Peddles.
Only broke a wheel so far which was replaced on warranty.

Screenshot_20220901-155242-968.png
Shot - Blacka Moor Sheffield

Maxi

Oct 5, 2021
Cumbria
Bike: 2020 Cube HPC 160

First eMTB and had my first proper ride this week. 21km on offroad / gravel tracks around the Ennerdale ring - more of a 'shake down' ride before I try anything more adventurous. Few changes to make;
  • grips - don't like the ODIs so time to 'borrow' my Nukeproofs from old bike
  • saddle - not that comfortable but will take my time in deciding what I want
  • brakes - really good (Magura MT 30) but need bled as rear not biting early enough and not enough modulation
IMG20220831140525.jpg

Picture is taken beside (possibly) the most remote YHA location in UK - Black Sail

Dave 80

Oct 17, 2019
UK
So when does an old fart (50) become a vintage farts?

I'm 83 so Vintage Fart ; -) or a better description cound be thought up here :)

Meanwhile at Wentwood Forest yesterday.... big shout out to rhose who unhooked me :) (OK BTW, scrape on the knee)

mtb cropped.png

PS Wear a helmet :)

Last edited:

Dave 80

Oct 17, 2019
UK
So when does an old fart (50) become a vintage farts?

I'm 83 so Vintage Fart ; -) or a better description cound be thought up here :)

Meanwhile at Wentwood Forest yesterday.... big shout out to those who unhooked me :) (OK BTW, scrape on the knee)

PS Wear a helmet :)

I blame the stick at the end ;-) .... obvious trail hazard ;-)

Expidia

Subscriber
Jun 27, 2022
Capital Region, New York
Well Dave, at least you appeared to have on some protective gear. Of course it's good to see anyone in our age group still out on the trails. But unlike skiing where we fall onto somewhat cushiony snow . . . trees, roots and rocks can be very unforgivng and do a job on our old bones. That's "my" biggest fear is breaking a bone or worse because I know it is going to be a longer and more painful healing process due to age . . . But you do you! Interesting vid as the camera comes around the corner and the wheel of your bike is up in the air and you are wrapped around a tree 🙀. I watched it like 3 times 🥴

Last edited:

KDillonK

Aug 7, 2022
Washington, USA
61, with my son. Ebike makes it all possible to ride with him. Without my ebike he'd be waiting a half hour at the top (a climbing animal). And I'd be too tired to ride down right away. And then I would need more days rest. With my ebike we can do multiple laps and still go the next day. No big deal for him to wait 30 or so seconds at the bottom.

Cube Stereo 160 hybrid. Since converted it to a mullet and slacked it out to 63 deg.

20220324_164120_remastered.jpg

Expidia

Subscriber
Jun 27, 2022
Capital Region, New York
Great pics K. And what a great sport that you can not only do it together,
but keep up with him too! Kudos to Turbo mode hahaha 👍🏻 . . . And I also like that colorful top or jacket on the Junior!

KDillonK

Aug 7, 2022
Washington, USA
Great pics K. And what a great sport that you can not only do it together,
but keep up with him too! Kudos to Turbo mode hahaha 👍🏻 . . . And I also like that colorful top or jacket on the Junior!
Turbo is my friend. I work hard on my fitness, but I struggle with endurance issues. Bosch gen4 + Turbo = SoMuchHapiness

KDillonK

Aug 7, 2022
Washington, USA
68 here, cyclist and motorcyclist; 2022 Santa Cruz Heckler. Usually ride by myself so I’ve been carrying my Garmin InReach Mini for those times I’m out of cell range.
View attachment 97499
Harry, you're my hero. I'm 61 and am getting closer to a few King of Mountain times on Strava--for people between 55-64. :) Skiing is appropriate for this age, but certainly not Enduro downhill black single track. Yet here I am, upgrading components to go faster.

When riding I should wear a medical bracelet that says "It wasn't the bike" or "he's just gonna do this again". I'm open to other suggestions.

Loppy Lou

Mar 22, 2022
Bristol
Well I qualify as an old fart as i'm looking at 50 in the rear view mirror.

Luckily it is reversed so I have an actual age of 05, result.

Treated myself to this bad boy recently, bad boy because the shift quality is embarrassing, SRAM SX is woeful IME;

View attachment 95890

And took this one beside my new holiday home last time out,,,,

View attachment 95891
I agree, it’s the first upgrade I made to my Cannodale get the SX in the bin and fit a XT rear mech, XT chain and an XT 12 speed shifter so you can finger shift also rather than just a thumb push shifter from SRAM. The rest of it works very well I think!

Bontee

Dec 6, 2020
warwickshire
Bike: 2020 Cube HPC 160

First eMTB and had my first proper ride this week. 21km on offroad / gravel tracks around the Ennerdale ring - more of a 'shake down' ride before I try anything more adventurous. Few changes to make;
  • grips - don't like the ODIs so time to 'borrow' my Nukeproofs from old bike
  • saddle - not that comfortable but will take my time in deciding what I want
  • brakes - really good (Magura MT 30) but need bled as rear not biting early enough and not enough modulation
View attachment 96253

Picture is taken beside (possibly) the most remote YHA location in UK - Black Sail
Maxi,did you haul the bike up the bridleway beside the hut,it goes vertical almost.I have done it quite a few times on a normal bike but not on the ebike yet ?
All the best

Maxi

Oct 5, 2021
Cumbria
Maxi,did you haul the bike up the bridleway beside the hut,it goes vertical almost.I have done it quite a few times on a normal bike but not on the ebike yet ?
All the best
Not yet - I think you mean Scarth Gap (on the side of Haystacks). My son did it the other week on his gravel bike as a quick way back from Buttermere !

CannonFodder

Jul 5, 2022
N. Ireland
I agree, it’s the first upgrade I made to my Cannodale get the SX in the bin and fit a XT rear mech, XT chain and an XT 12 speed shifter so you can finger shift also rather than just a thumb push shifter from SRAM. The rest of it works very well I think!
Gonna give a SRAM X01 rear mech and shifter and see how that goes.
I do have a soft spot for Shimano though.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles