When you don't ride ... (talk crap because it's the lounge...)

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Today on Stupid Feckers .....

Windy and peeing down all day .. forecast to get worse .. one of my black poplars blew over - and wiped another tree out in the process ..

Decided a day inside was boring so started stripping the little pond deck/jetty thing as it's rotten and I keep putting it off when it's not raining - because, well, there's always more fun things to do ! ..

This was very exciting work ... not ...

1690824051844.png

Class 4 deck and timbers, but anywhere with limited air circulation underneath was rotting/rotted ...

The dog helped when it wasn't pissing down ..

1690824176654.png

Unfortunately .. I found the dam was also rotten to feck .. I actually changed it about 15 years ago but at the time could only find oak boards and not chestnut - must have been pretty crap oak too ... greenheart would have been nice, but where the feck do you find greenheart ?

1690824332338.png

Trying a different approach this time, I cut a sheet out of reinforced concrete ... which seemed f.ing heavy..

Then posed with the problem of either putting all the pond water into a bucket whilst I changed the dam or creating a local gravitational distortion field, I chose the latter as the one bucket I seem to own at the moment was already full of rain water.

1690824523078.png

That's as far as I got as I'm soaked and shagged and needed a beer.

In other news on "I'm an Idiot, leave me here" ... from the weekend.

I couldn't be arsed moving tonnes of crap to one of my nature/crap piles, so I played a new game called "just how much can you get in an incinerator?"

1690824693343.png

Lazyness has clearly taken hold as that was run in parallel with "Piss off a 1980's hairdresser - can you use a Vitara as a skidder when the logs feel too heavy to move by hand"

1690824811619.png

1690824926522.png

Skid baby skid ... really needs the log nose lifting, but that would require making something .. and, well ... lazy ..

1690825001149.png

I guess I need another beer now ....

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
If you can do that stuff, you must be able to ride your bike?
Agree .. fractured sternum and ribs and for the first time ever, thought I'd try and be sensible as I don't want to risk impacting them again until they're actually healed ...... I'm either getting old (which is inevitable - well, unless it's the other option) or sensible (which is unlikely) .. so I guess medically - I'm "boring".

billwarwick

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 1, 2018
warwick
Agree .. fractured sternum and ribs and for the first time ever, thought I'd try and be sensible as I don't want to risk impacting them again until they're actually healed ...... I'm either getting old (which is inevitable - well, unless it's the other option) or sensible (which is unlikely) .. so I guess medically - I'm "boring".
Wow, that must have hurt. What happened?
As for you being sensible…. I think we all know the answer to that.🤔

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Today on Stupid Feckers .....

Windy and peeing down all day .. forecast to get worse .. one of my black poplars blew over - and wiped another tree out in the process ..

Decided a day inside was boring so started stripping the little pond deck/jetty thing as it's rotten and I keep putting it off when it's not raining - because, well, there's always more fun things to do ! ..

This was very exciting work ... not ...

View attachment 121546

Class 4 deck and timbers, but anywhere with limited air circulation underneath was rotting/rotted ...

The dog helped when it wasn't pissing down ..

View attachment 121547

Unfortunately .. I found the dam was also rotten to feck .. I actually changed it about 15 years ago but at the time could only find oak boards and not chestnut - must have been pretty crap oak too ... greenheart would have been nice, but where the feck do you find greenheart ?

View attachment 121548

Trying a different approach this time, I cut a sheet out of reinforced concrete ... which seemed f.ing heavy..

Then posed with the problem of either putting all the pond water into a bucket whilst I changed the dam or creating a local gravitational distortion field, I chose the latter as the one bucket I seem to own at the moment was already full of rain water.

View attachment 121549

That's as far as I got as I'm soaked and shagged and needed a beer.

In other news on "I'm an Idiot, leave me here" ... from the weekend.

I couldn't be arsed moving tonnes of crap to one of my nature/crap piles, so I played a new game called "just how much can you get in an incinerator?"

View attachment 121550

Lazyness has clearly taken hold as that was run in parallel with "Piss off a 1980's hairdresser - can you use a Vitara as a skidder when the logs feel too heavy to move by hand"

View attachment 121551
View attachment 121553

Skid baby skid ... really needs the log nose lifting, but that would require making something .. and, well ... lazy ..

View attachment 121554

I guess I need another beer now ....
Just how BIG is this garden of yours? :unsure:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
What happened?
I went out for a steady ride .. no armour .. just to enjoy the evening .. got bored near the end so went faster .. a dog ran in front of me at about 45kph - like right in front ! Went full brakes with bad body position to try and not kill the dog, OTB and bounced along for about 14 meters ... messy !!

Just how BIG is this garden of yours? :unsure:
Just kinda garden sized .... 🙃

Any fish 🎣 in there?
There were lots of roach in there, but haven't seen any this year :-( It's spring fed from a couple of hundred meters further up so I'm thinking everything got nuked by some naughty run off .. Or they could just be very elusive this year...

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
it appears that two of the best things that will help it heal faster are rebuilding rotten wooden jetties in the pissing rain and pulling tree trunks through a forest. So well done, you’re ahead of the game.🙄
Inspired by Dr Bill and as it's peeing down and gusting took the rest of the Jetty out (Farmers Telescopic/Manitou) as I found it was so rotten I shouldn't really be walking on it ! :)

1690992712655.png

Interestingly, the oak posts which were submerged (no air) have survived really well over 15 years.

1690992599739.png

I got on with some more weeding this afternoon .. The dog braved the weather and kept an eye on me ..

1690992459114.png

I think the Lounge should have a sticky called "Dr Bill's Medical Advice".

billwarwick

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 1, 2018
warwick
No point really because whether it’s a cracked sternum, serious rotator cuff injury, broken wrist , twisted ankle, hole in leg (Hodge) or piles , the advice is always the same…. repair rotten jetties and pull heavy logs through a forest.
And judging by your photos of devastation, it’s a good job that you don’t live anywhere near an Amazonian rainforest.🪓

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Inspired by Dr Bill and as it's peeing down and gusting took the rest of the Jetty out (Farmers Telescopic/Manitou) as I found it was so rotten I shouldn't really be walking on it ! :)

View attachment 121710

Interestingly, the oak posts which were submerged (no air) have survived really well over 15 years.

View attachment 121709

I got on with some more weeding this afternoon .. The dog braved the weather and kept an eye on me ..

View attachment 121708

I think the Lounge should have a sticky called "Dr Bill's Medical Advice".
I don’t know 🤷‍♂️, but I see a potential reality show or YouTube channel in the making 🎥 . I’d subscribe to that 👍🏻😏.

And my dog would be very interested.
IMG_4554.jpeg

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
The dog took it upon himself yesterday to teach an 18 year old some 4x4 ...

1692114445153.png

1692114778166.png

1692114515720.png

Being a dog he taught her lots of useful dog things .. like jumping a tree ... I think she came in a bit hot, but then she's also developed a new way to strip bark from a tree ...

I thought it was funny anyway ! :LOL:

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
it would be handy if she was a qualified nurse, you could take her riding with you.
My wife is a qualified nurse. She comes riding with me. Says that if I do anything really silly I'm on my own. She once did an OTB on Salisbury Plain, double fractured a collar bone, and had to be medivaced (chopper) to Salisbury General. She would do the same for me so I don't believe her and do it anyway.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
My wife is a qualified nurse….
Yeah, I guess that’s a good thing. 👍🏻
She fractured her elbow once on a ride. She didn’t let on right away until the pain became unbearable. 8 weeks to heal completely.

Most of her career was as an orthopaedic Nurse. She has seen some unimaginable things, which is probably why she forbids to ride a motorcycle anymore.

But she patiently listens to my daily ride stories while secretly scanning my body for blood and injuries. She also applies some kind of cream to my wounds 🙏.

Oh!…and she makes a great sandwich. 😉

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles