• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Unanswered Wheel truing stand recommendations

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
I've built up wheels and MX wheels in the past but never bought a stand, I usually just make one out of wood and use an adjustable spanner to get the job done (yea, I know)
well, I just bought a park tool stand which is great and I checked out the truing stand which was just silly money (£400+) so does anyone have recommendations for a stand please.
will be used mainly for truing as ive no clue with so many standards how to build my own wheels although I would like to have a crack at some point.

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
I used to use the Minoura portable truing stand before thru axles were common and found it to be good enough at the time. It was affordable and easy to store and transport. These days you'd probably need a thru/QR adapter, make sure it has clearance for at least a 148mm hub at the support arms, and whether the truing "caliper" portion has enough room to fit a 29" wheel with tire mounted.

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
I've built up wheels and MX wheels in the past but never bought a stand, I usually just make one out of wood and use an adjustable spanner to get the job done (yea, I know)
well, I just bought a park tool stand which is great and I checked out the truing stand which was just silly money (£400+) so does anyone have recommendations for a stand please.
will be used mainly for truing as ive no clue with so many standards how to build my own wheels although I would like to have a crack at some point.

I have this one Park Ts-2.2 Professional Truing Stand | Jenson USA
You would also need a Dishing Gauge: Park Tool WAG-4 Dishing Gauge | Jenson USA
Pretty expensive if you are not using it all the time.
It works great and I have built up at least 10 wheels of my own but when you factor in having to buy the correct spokes and nipples for each wheel and hub set (I now have a few asymmetrical rims with the same hubs which would be much easier) and the time it takes to build a wheel yourself, I have to say, I would rather pay someone ($80) who is much faster at it than I am, to build my wheels. Its still nice to have it to true my wheels (I decided NOT to wreck my rims anymore by going tubeless and adding Cushcore) but a plastic strap is way cheaper and faster!

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
I've never built a wheel, and have no intention of doing so. But I've trued quite a few, and I do maintenance on mine periodically even though they appear perfect. Years ago I decided to throw down for a Park TS-2.2. It makes life easier, and allows me to do better work with less fuss.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
You don't actually need a truing stand at all to build wheels for yourself. Using your frame and forks with blu-tac'd or ziptied on guides (a couple of pencils will do for latteral truing and a ruler for radial) will be absolutely fine. I've used park workshop truing stands litterally thousands of times for truing and building and much like a lot of Park tools aren't actually great for the outlay.
Save your money and make yourself one. Or buy a basic portable stand at a quarter of the price.
If you make one yourself for just your own wheels you can taylor it to your f&r axle standards and have it centred so as not to need a dishing tool.
Ps. Knowing your woodworking skills pics of your handy work would be pretty cool to see too.

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
You don't actually need a truing stand at all to build wheels for yourself. Using your frame and forks with blu-tac'd or ziptied on guides (a couple of pencils will do for latteral truing and a ruler for radial) will be absolutely fine. I've used park workshop truing stands litterally thousands of times for truing and building and much like a lot of Park tools aren't actually great for the outlay.
Save your money and make yourself one. Or buy a basic portable stand at a quarter of the price.
If you make one yourself for just your own wheels you can taylor it to your f&r axle standards and have it centred so as not to need a dishing tool.
Ps. Knowing your woodworking skills pics of your handy work would be pretty cool to see too.
yea there was no way I would splash for a park tool.. I dont mind spending where its needed but that aint it, thanks for confirming..

I think im gonna do exactly that, I have plenty of materials here for making one but the design is where all the real work is and you know a million times better than me what features it needs..

the design in my head includes just a pair of uprights that adjust for width and a mount for a DTI instead of a caliper.
an alternative to that is a pair of arms extending from the uprights that had horizontally adjustable bolts with soft ends so you can adjust to each side of the rim, easier for radial truing and the DTI is easier for lateral.
it would be easy enough to turn a set of adapters to hold the wheel like axles
what would I need to allow for as far as dishing goes? an offset tool that measures from stand upright centres?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
For what you want two arms with 148mm spacing between and a 12mm axle is all you need.
Then a sheath to convert that axle into 15mm diameter with two 19mm spacers to centralise a 110x15 hub. Then your adjustable guide arms can be mounted centralised so as not to require a dishing tool.
How you design the arms and guide adjustment is up to you.

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
For anyone looking to build or true their own wheels on a tight budget. These are all you need (with your own frame and fork. Obvs)
And the correct spoke key

Handy to chuck in your tool box for trips away too.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Haha... Typical cyclist. 😂
All it needs to do is place a guide each side of the rim (which it does just fine). Focus on Improving your (wheelbuilding) skills instead of worrying about pointless improvements to your equipment.

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
Haha... Typical cyclist. 😂
All it needs to do is place a guide each side of the rim (which it does just fine). Focus on Improving your (wheelbuilding) skills instead of worrying about pointless improvements to your equipment.
Well currently I'm using cable ties on the chain stays,I feel I have done my time slumming it 🤣

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Well currently I'm using cable ties on the chain stays,I feel I have done my time slumming it 🤣

Brah, just ride over to the shelter. They'll let you use their truing stand AND give you a bowl of hot soup.

iu-1.jpeg

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Dishing Tool Build. Had the time and some scraps laying around so I built this. Works for 27.5” to 29” wheels. I’ve only used it a few times but if you hang it on your shop wall someone will eventually ask “What’s that?”. You can then go into as much detail as necessary until they walk away. 😁
Cost me less then $4.
-1/4” threaded rod and knob with 1/4” ready-nuts(2) (aligned top and bottom). Stain and varathane for that “classy” look.

21C7B168-1C92-4F26-A398-940EB2FDBE16.jpeg

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
Dishing Tool Build. Had the time and some scraps laying around so I built this. Works for 27.5” to 29” wheels. I’ve only used it a few times but if you hang it on your shop wall someone will eventually ask “What’s that?”. You can then go into as much detail as necessary until they walk away. 😁
Cost me less then $4.
-1/4” threaded rod and knob with 1/4” ready-nuts(2) (aligned top and bottom). Stain and varathane for that “classy” look.

View attachment 79755
looks good, howzit work on the stand?

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
Using your trusty ziptied method. Dish can be checked by simply flipping your wheel over in the dropouts.
Done that in a stand before but never tried flipping it on a bike. Could you get enough clearance between the derailleur and rotor by shifting or would you have to pull one or the other?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Could you get enough clearance between the derailleur and rotor
Generally yes. The cassette will always clear the caliper and the rotor will usually clear the stays and mech but not all frame designs are the same. It's just a 30sec job to remove the derailleur if needs be. If you have a massive rotor and it fouls the stays then obvs you'll have to remove it.

I have multiple wheel jigs so it's not something I ever do anymore unless sorting out a wheel at the trails.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
TS-2.2p (p=powder coat?).
Just came in a few hours ago. Some assembly, then calibrated the centering or dishing. Checked out my first wheel. Truing was good but the dish was out 1.5mm. Tomorrow I’ll make a sliding stand that attaches into the work top. The dishing tool looks like it will work with the wheel in the stand but isn’t necessary if you flip the wheel.
CE876BFE-00E7-4CBF-BB95-7DE9EF11C27C.jpeg

This tool was about $350 CDN. About the same as two torque wrenches and will take forever to be cost effective at my pace, but for peace-of-mind and the family/friends …it’s nice to have. The small piece of blue tape on the rim shows the heavy side if you’re into wheel balancing.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles