• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Unanswered Bike stand for maintenance

pgrbff

Jun 29, 2021
Serole
I would almost prefer just an arm. Are there maintenance stands available that will safely hold an ebike and not twist, break or topple over that cost less than £200-£300?
We have a haibike allmtn and I can only imagine it can be clamped on the seat post.

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
My Park stand held my Shuttle and holds my Rise, but honestly I rarely every use it. About the only time I find myself using the stand is on a new bike build.

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
I have a bad back so Ireally need a stand to try and look after my sons bike.

Lifting an eMTB onto a stand is awkward and might actually aggravate your back more. Also, with some dropper posts, use of a seatpost clamp-style stand isn't always a great idea. Good luck and let us know what you find that works for you!

pgrbff

Jun 29, 2021
Serole
Lifting an eMTB onto a stand is awkward and might actually aggravate your back more. Also, with some dropper posts, use of a seatpost clamp-style stand isn't always a great idea. Good luck and let us know what you find that works for you!
I didn't think the seat post would be a great idea.
I've knocked up a quick wooden one that clamps to the end of my bench, but it's too low. I think I'm going to havemake something permanent that i can attach to a wall, but higher.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Reduce the weight you have to lift by leaving one wheel on the ground. Which wheel depends upon what end of the bike you are working on. This also can reduce/remove any torque on the carbon fibre frame (if you have one), depending upon where you clamp the jaws.

I have been using a cheapish (£80) workstand for 8 years. I also use it to support my bike when I'm washing it, so they are robust too. This one: I see they have gone up to £125, but Merlin have them on sale for .....£80! :)

If there is any serious torque to be applied (40Nm for Bottom brackets or cassette lock rings), I never use the workstand anyway.

RustyIron

Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
I would almost prefer just an arm. Are there maintenance stands available that will safely hold an ebike and not twist, break or topple over that cost less than £200-£300?

I have a Bike Hand Repair Stand that works fine. I chose it years ago because it was inexpensive and I wasn't sure I needed one. It turns out that I really like having a stand, even for such mundane chores as cleaning the bike. The one I have costs 120USD and is rated at 55 pounds. I see that they have another model now, rated at 100 pounds, for 170USD. It looks mostly the same, with the exception that the clamping head appears to be made of aluminum.

The Bike Hand is a knock-off of the Park Tool Stand. The Park Tool is more expensive, but appears to be more nicely made. If I was to do it all over again, I might go with the Park Tool. But if there are budgetary concerns or you're not sure, then go with the Bike Hand Ebike version. Also, I always rotate the head horizontally and clamp on the frame.

pgrbff

Jun 29, 2021
Serole
I have a Bike Hand Repair Stand that works fine. I chose it years ago because it was inexpensive and I wasn't sure I needed one. It turns out that I really like having a stand, even for such mundane chores as cleaning the bike. The one I have costs 120USD and is rated at 55 pounds. I see that they have another model now, rated at 100 pounds, for 170USD. It looks mostly the same, with the exception that the clamping head appears to be made of aluminum.

The Bike Hand is a knock-off of the Park Tool Stand. The Park Tool is more expensive, but appears to be more nicely made. If I was to do it all over again, I might go with the Park Tool. But if there are budgetary concerns or you're not sure, then go with the Bike Hand Ebike version. Also, I always rotate the head horizontally and clamp on the frame.
Do you hold the bike by the seat post?

pgrbff

Jun 29, 2021
Serole
Since Brexit I have all but given up buying from the UK. If it comes by courier I am instantly hit with a nearly £17 processing fee. I then have to pay the VAT which admittedly will have not been charged in the first place by the shop, but will be fairly randomnly calculated upwards. I can't even buy tea anymore. I spend a lot of time on the net and untill this year most things came from the UK as Italy is incredibly expensive for many items. I would normaly visit once a year but Covid stopped that.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I use one of these...Park Tool.

You can secure the fork in the clamp with the bike still on the floor then lift/lever the rest of the bike up and onto the BB rest ( for an EMTB it sits on the bottom of the motor)......no strain on the back. Whilst the Levo ( pictured) is possible to mount on a standard bike stand using the back end of the top tube, it is not possible on my Whyte E 180 RS of my wife's Cube Access......hence why I bought this type of stand.
Mounted as per the photo the only part of the bike you cannot service is the headset but the bike can be mounted with the rear wheel through axle in the clamp ( ie the other way around) if you needed to do that.
One thing I find really useful with this stand given the limited space I have in my garage, is that you can rotate the stand and therefore work on both sides of the bike without moving.
I bought the rail extender at the same time to ensure the rail was long enough for my Whyte but it is not needed for the Levo or Cube Access.
The only modification I made to the stand was to fit a rubber block between the "prongs" of the BB support.
It may be an option for you.........Park tools so not cheap!!

20201015_140844.jpg

Stoffel

Jun 16, 2021
Cotswolds UK
It was worth doing, it is a lot easier to clamp my mount in the stand and then lift the bike onto it, rather than trying to hold the bike with one hand while trying to close the clamp or extend the stand with the other.

Labi

Aug 24, 2021
London
Where is the best place to attach the work-stand clamp on an E-bike? If you have enough space on the stem, 3 cms or so, then this homemade false crossbar will take the weight. At 25 mms diameter, it is quite strong enough to support my 25 kgs Cannondale, although you should check your clamp will close securely, otherwise it may need to be packed-out first with a layer of insulation padding, or something similar, to ensure that it's held tight. Chrome tubing & pipe clips, available from Screwfix.

false crossbar.jpg

pampmyride

Dec 28, 2020
Sussex Massif
I use a budget full size bike stand - ebay £30. Used it for years on my P bikes. I have an allmtn too - for this I remove battery & use a Hollywood Bike Adapter Pro - Boomer Bar that clips onto seat post & under bars. Then you have no worries with clamping weird shape carbon frame, or expensive seat posts.

hollywood bar.jpg

militantmandy

Jan 18, 2022
Tweed Valley, Scotland
Not really sure why there are so many special gadgets in use. I use a super cheapo, Lidl special bike. It holds my Decoy just fine. It does have 4 legs though. I clamp all my bikes by seatpost, never had any issue. However, for general maintenance, I mostly use a wheel stand. For chains / tyre pressures etc, I find this much easier than digging out the stand.

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
I use one of these...Park Tool.

You can secure the fork in the clamp with the bike still on the floor then lift/lever the rest of the bike up and onto the BB rest ( for an EMTB it sits on the bottom of the motor)......no strain on the back. Whilst the Levo ( pictured) is possible to mount on a standard bike stand using the back end of the top tube, it is not possible on my Whyte E 180 RS of my wife's Cube Access......hence why I bought this type of stand.
Mounted as per the photo the only part of the bike you cannot service is the headset but the bike can be mounted with the rear wheel through axle in the clamp ( ie the other way around) if you needed to do that.
One thing I find really useful with this stand given the limited space I have in my garage, is that you can rotate the stand and therefore work on both sides of the bike without moving.
I bought the rail extender at the same time to ensure the rail was long enough for my Whyte but it is not needed for the Levo or Cube Access.
The only modification I made to the stand was to fit a rubber block between the "prongs" of the BB support.
It may be an option for you.........Park tools so not cheap!!

View attachment 69203
That one is very nice and looks absolutely ideal for our heavy ebikes, but £330 is really expensive. Possibly a bit overpriced for what it is.
Lifeline do a similar stand for £90- I couldnt say though ifit is as strong, in truth it looks a bit flimsy, and i cant find any YT vids showing it in use with an ebike.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
That one is very nice and looks absolutely ideal for our heavy ebikes, but £330 is really expensive. Possibly a bit overpriced for what it is.
Lifeline do a similar stand for £90- I couldnt say though ifit is as strong, in truth it looks a bit flimsy, and i cant find any YT vids showing it in use with an ebike.
May be worth a try. To be honest they do not really need to be that strong because the BB/motor sits right over the main upright nd that is where most of the weight is. One thing to check is the maximum distance between the fork mount and the position where the BB/motor casing sits. On the Park Tool I have to also buy the small platform extender piece to mount my Whyte E 180 although that bike admittedly has a pretty long front centre. Another aspect to check is the BB mount. The Park tool one is designed for a normal bike BB. I used a solid rubber block wedged between the 2 "spikes" that form the BB mount so that it became a flat surface....a block of wood cut to size would do the same job. As I mentioned a bove the 2 aspecs I really like a bout the latform type design is that the bike is far more stable than on a clamp type stand and the bike can be rotated 360 degrees.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles