What's your take on "ebike" specific components?

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
Seems like the more ebikes gain in popularity, seeing a lot more components labeled "ebike" specific. Understand items such as shocks, forks and tires, but think some manufacturers are going overboard.

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
I've got nothing, except maybe a bit of a laugh at times, against some aggressive niche marketing as long as they don't cost any more than non specific stuff I don't care. But if they do then I call BS.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
The raised height on the rear of e-bike saddles is a feature I really appreciate.
I’m not sure if the Ergon Core saddle is E-specific but I can’t get one anyways even though Ergon HQ is a 5min ride from me. So I’m still using an old saddle from my roadie days. The “Nebula Plus” by Bontrager. It rocks …and rolls 🙄.

I thought that a flat and slippery saddle would allow me to experience the bumm-buzz during drops. I guess when you find something that fits you tend to stick with it.
2EDBED8B-3FF2-444F-9C7E-AB02A42C2F2B.jpeg

B1rdie

Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
Ebikes only make sense if built with parts of regular bicycles, the massive marketing abuse around the idea of having a bike that is something between ET and Valentino Rossi’s toys will eventually kill the whole concept.

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
Ah the Ebike Speciphic saddle, that i'm curious about lol. You do spend more time seated for sure but not sure it warrants a new saddle.
I have the Ergon SM E Mountain Sport ebike specific saddle and definitely makes a difference. As you stated, spend more time seated and it has a little lip in rear of saddle that gives you a leverage point.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Do I need a heavier E-suspension?
Me; 158lbs. (considered a light-weight).
W/gear; 164lbs. (fall/winter gear).
W/bike; 217.6lbs. (Combined riding weight).
Emtb w/water bottle; 53.6lbs (Rail 9.7)
Trail tools; add 25-30lbs.
Trail materials; add 30-50lbs.
I’m surprised, my riding gear weighs only 6-lbs. (Bike tools, helmet, iPhone, hip pac, shoes, fall/winter clothes).
I can see how a rider of 200+lbs might need some E-components but not get the range that I can.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Not the extra stiffness of the forks and the extra support on the shock?
What on earth would make you think there's suddenly a need for a stiffer fork to bimble about the woods on a Levo than the forks guys doing 70ft gaps have on their normal bikes?

Shock support should be tuned to the rider and the bike's leverage curve. whether the bike has a motor or battery fitted is fairly irrelevant and suspension set up is no different to a slightly heavier rider.

flash

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
I do like my Ergon eBike saddle. Other than that it’s almost all marketing bullshit.

Actually I find my *eBike* fork to have too little adjustment compared to a normal one. I find the eBike version to be harsher even when wider open.

Gordon

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Steel cassette and chainring and uprated wheelset are advisable on an EMTB..........nothing else. A lot of suspension components supplied are models within the range only ever supplied direct to bike brands.........made to price and often with a tune that ruins them for anyone under 100kg!! Personally I much prefer to buy retail forks and shox for my bike and bin the ones fitted as standard so I can select my own tune etc and have a greater chance of buying forks/shox that have not being lying around in the supply chain in boxes or on shelves for as much as a year before being fitted to a bike!

RustyMojo

Oct 30, 2021
Gloucestershire
Only thing I quite like is the single shift SRAM shifters. Just stops me from ham fisted shifting under load across multiple gears. But even then it’s only really a problem if you are a pleb like me. The rest of it is a bit of a joke in my limited experience. But the I have been riding for many years so have seen all this type of bullshit before

kbass24emtp

Dec 27, 2019
St. Louis
I have the Ergon SM E Mountain Sport ebike specific saddle and definitely makes a difference. As you stated, spend more time seated and it has a little lip in rear of saddle that gives you a leverage point.

I too have the same saddle and it does make a difference.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
The only benefit I found from the raised rear of the Ergon Ebike saddles was if you wanted to itch the underside of your testicles when you slid your arse off the back. That rear saddle lip doesn't actually help with climbing at all unless you have poor climbing technique or lack strength. Overall it hinders weight shift movements when riding and completely gets in the way and reduces pelvic motion when riding low and off the back of your bike (manuals or steep technical descending).
They were also among the least comfortable saddles I've ever tested.

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
The only benefit I found from the raised rear of the Ergon Ebike saddles was if you wanted to itch the underside of your testicles when you slid your arse off the back. That rear saddle lip doesn't actually help with climbing at all unless you have poor climbing technique or lack strength. Overall it hinders weight shift movements when riding and completely gets in the way and reduces pelvic motion when riding low and off the back of your bike (manuals or steep technical descending).
They were also among the least comfortable saddles I've ever tested.
Interested feedback. I really like that saddle on my emtbs I use for rides with lots of climbing. It does slightly impact my ability to get back when descending but Ive adjusted my style a little to accommodate. Been riding for over 30 years and have good technique. Bicycle touch points such as saddle, grips and pedals can be a touchy situation (no pun intended!) Have this Ergon saddle on my dh sled (YT Decoy Elite) and it really allows me the ability to get back uninterrupted and is a great all-round saddle.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
TBF Ergon's marketing and performance claims are pretty laughable throughout their entire range.

skipin7ro

Jun 22, 2020
SWCO
My Ergon SM E developed a creak in the rails which was most likely due to me lifting my bike from the rear of the saddle. I then tried the SQLab 610 Ergolux, and it's the one for my arse (160 width on ebike and 150 width on acoustic).

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
Just my opinion.
A ton of shit is sold and it is true for non assisted and assisted bikes.
OK the assisted with a reliable system has enough from 10 speeds.
An 11/46 cassette is better than 12 S a la mode shit.
At 140 pounds i do not stress any bike.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
12 speed "a la mode" cassettes are actually available with a 46t largest sprocket.

12 speed could actually be great for Emtb. But instead of massive 50t+ sprockets the extra couple sprockets should be placed at the small end of the cassette creating much closer ratio smaller tooth jumps and removing pointless super low gearing.
Ie.
11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 19, 22, 25, 28, 32, 36.
This would spread the wear more evenly between the smallest sprockets (which wear more quickly). And also allow a shorter cage rear mech to be used, shorter chain with less chain slap and increased chain wrap in the smallest sprockets (drastically increasing cassette life)

11, 12, 13, 14, 16, 18, 21, 24, 28, 32, 36, 42 would work well too
if you really need as low as that.

Also. For obvious reasons No Emtb should ever have a stupid 10t or 9t cassette sprocket

Last edited:

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
12 speed "a la mode" cassettes are actually available with a 46t largest sprocket.

12 speed could actually be great for Emtb. But instead of massive 50t+ sprockets the extra couple sprockets should be placed at the small end of the cassette creating much closer ratio smaller tooth jumps and removing pointless super low gearing.
Ie.
11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 19, 22, 25, 28, 32, 36.
This would spread the wear more evenly between the smallest sprockets (which wear more quickly). And also allow a shorter cage rear mech to be used, shorter chain with less chain slap and increased chain wrap in the smallest sprockets (drastically increasing cassette life)

11, 12, 13, 14, 16, 18, 21, 24, 28, 32, 36, 42 would work well too
if you really need as low as that.

Also. For obvious reasons No Emtb should ever have a stupid 10t or 9t cassette sprocket
I kind of like my set up for 29 tires.
36 front 10 S 11/46. I can never use the 11 so in 8 shifts i cover my 13/46 range.
I agree 10, 11 and 12 i do not need.
Having 12 S is more $$ and more shifts that i have no need for but each
rider might have her/his preference.
Last year i had 11/42 on 27 tires and loved it.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I don't think you understand how gearing works.
Your cassette doesn't have a 12t sprocket.
If you're not using your smallest two sprockets on an 11-46 10 speed cassette you could be running a smaller chainring and smaller range cassette with a smaller largest sprocket. Eg. 11-36

I absolutely DO need my 11t

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles