What's been the most Helpful Upgrade to your Whyte?

Singletrack Scene

Nov 14, 2020
Nottingham
I'm fortunate to of gotten some free Burgtec pedals with my purchase. Having no experience with the saddle, and grips.. I've purchased my usual go-to options, should I feel the need to. -Pretty much as you'd do with any new bike I suppose. I wonder how many people have opted for a new controller upgrade for example?.. the more technical areas of the bike.

Clubby

Oct 3, 2020
Tayside
Didn’t get on with the standard grips, so swapped the out for some DMR Deathgrips but quite like the stock saddle. My 2020 came with a DHF up front so that was swapped to a 2.5 Shorty for the winter. I think this years bike comes with an Assegai so that won’t be necessary.

Okesy2001uk

Sep 28, 2020
Sandbach, cheshire
- E- wilds - great compromise tyre
- Rev grips (expensive but game-changer for arm pump/hand pain)
- schwalbe pro-core - best rim-insert system if a bit finnikey
- charger 2.1 damper upgrade and 170mm aire shaft - incremental improvement in damping
- monarch plus with megneg - better small bump and mid-stoke support at the rear.
- vorsprung secus - as above but for the fork.

Kilham5

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Mar 12, 2020
North Yorkshire
A pink bell, otherwise pretty standard

Pink Bell.JPG

It is the 2020 mk2 mega-bell XTR with improved spring progression and new textured thumb grip design.
But sadly now obsolete, replaced by the 2021 "40", much stiffer model with improved tone, hopefully it will transform my ride.

Okay, I improved the compromised 2020 shifter cable routing.
Replaced the basic Motion Control damper with a Charger RCT3 , SKF wiper seals and C1 upgrade onto the Yari fork.
Chunky foam grips

But without doubt, the pink bell is the most helpful.

Last edited:

d4ve86

Aug 21, 2020
UK
For me the best improvement has been a set of carbon wheels. The ride is so much smoother with them, and the standard wheels were not the best. Its the first set of carbon rims I have ever brought, but they will always be on any future bikes before I upgrade anything else.

EebStrider

Apr 18, 2020
Surrey, UK
Burgtec Ride High handlebars
Bosch Kiox
Michelin DH22's
SQ Lab 611 saddle
Nukeproof pedals
Frame protection
Proguard mudguards (Bolt on at the front)

I've no idea if any of it is any good, as I haven't ridden the bike yet!?

Last edited:

Rahr85

E*POWAH Master
Sep 6, 2020
nottingham
volspeed :p did a 42.7 mile trip today about 80% of it in eco as it is no longer incredibly tedious on the flat being held back.

but if we are just talking stuff we have changed/added:
nukeproof stem top cap mount
Nukeproof sintered pads
DMR deathgrips having also tried the ergon GE1 evo and the standard whyte ones (which were actually not bad)
DMR v11 pedals
Renthal fatbar 760mm bars (800 standard are a bit wide for me)
Invisiframe
Bottle cage + tool caddy for it
Rear mudhugger and RRP proguard front

Having sat on a few other bikes recently i'm actually quite happy with the whyte saddle. My friends with yeti's sit on what feels like a block of steel. :rolleyes:

I need new tyres soon so torn between getting one new assegai along with some E-Wilds to run until spring when i swap back to the assegai's. They are almost too grippy for the riding i'm doing during poor weather.

Last edited:

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
Bosch Kiox
Michelin DH22's
SQ Lab 611 saddle
Nukeproof pedals
Frame protection

Are you serious ?

Singletrack Scene

Nov 14, 2020
Nottingham
Didn’t get on with the standard grips, so swapped the out for some DMR Deathgrips but quite like the stock saddle. My 2020 came with a DHF up front so that was swapped to a 2.5 Shorty for the winter. I think this years bike comes with an Assegai so that won’t be necessary.

My 160 comes with the WTB set up, although I have numerous Tyres spare. I'll likely go for my usual set up. DHF front, and High Roller rear. It's my personal favourite all year tyre.

Singletrack Scene

Nov 14, 2020
Nottingham
For me the best improvement has been a set of carbon wheels. The ride is so much smoother with them, and the standard wheels were not the best. Its the first set of carbon rims I have ever brought, but they will always be on any future bikes before I upgrade anything else.

Which wheels?

Singletrack Scene

Nov 14, 2020
Nottingham
volspeed :p did a 42.7 mile trip today about 80% of it in eco as it is no longer incredibly tedious on the flat being held back.

but if we are just talking stuff we have changed/added:
nukeproof stem top cap mount
Nukeproof sintered pads
DMR deathgrips having also tried the ergon GE1 evo and the standard whyte ones (which were actually not bad)
DMR v11 pedals
Renthal fatbar 760mm bars (800 standard are a bit wide for me)
Invisiframe
Bottle cage + tool caddy for it
Rear mudhugger and RRP proguard front

Having sat on a few other bikes recently i'm actually quite happy with the whyte saddle. My friends with yeti's sit on what feels like a block of steel. :rolleyes:

I need new tyres soon so torn between getting one new assegai along with some E-Wilds to run until spring when i swap back to the assegai's. They are almost too grippy for the riding i'm doing during poor weather.

I've ridden a de-restricted E-bike, and was very impressed. I'll not be doing mine, until after warranty though, as I dont personally feel the need to de-restrict it as yet,

Singletrack Scene

Nov 14, 2020
Nottingham
Bosch Kiox
Michelin DH22's
SQ Lab 611 saddle
Nukeproof pedals
Frame protection

The Kiox is on my list, the Invisi is here and ready to slap on too :)

gogsie

Dec 21, 2020
Sauchen
So far my list is:

Kiox - If your in 2 minds just do it, great piece of kit.
Rockguardz Frame protector - Saved the frame a few times already!.
Invisiframe - Priceless in my opinion.

Rahr85

E*POWAH Master
Sep 6, 2020
nottingham
I haven't really considered the kiox as i run with a garmin that i had before the bike, otherwise it would be a good upgrade. Probably change to it if i ever break the purion.

Singletrack Scene

Nov 14, 2020
Nottingham
I haven't really considered the kiox as i run with a garmin that i had before the bike, otherwise it would be a good upgrade. Probably change to it if i ever break the purion.

I personally think the only real reason I'd change, is for aesthetics. The Purion seems to work adequately.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles