What tyres? The Ultimate Tyre Thread

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Just changed both Michelin tyres for WTB Vigilante up front @ 25psi and WTB Trail Boss @ 22psi at the back and I must say that the difference is staggering. OK - the Michelins were worn and still had loads of tread, but in the soft / wet / mud of the Lakes over the weekend, I was seriously impressed with the WTBs. And they were a bargain at £25 each from CRC.

Only issue was getting the front running tubeless as the bead just wouldn't seat no matter what I did. Quick trawl through youtube and a very helpful Park Tool video (use the belt method) got it sorted !
I've had those tyres in the past on my Whyte T130rs ( non e ) and thought they were great tyres ..certainly fantastic value at that price ..

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I've had those tyres in the past on my Whyte T130rs ( non e ) and thought they were great tyres ..certainly fantastic value at that price ..
The Vigilante front and Trail Boss rear seems to be a preferred set up for WTB tyres. I have seen it on a few bikes and it works really well. I have both of those tyres on my bikes, but never quite managed that exact combo. Both are great tyres.

Last edited:

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Which Maxxis tire was it? I have never had a problem with any DHR II 3C DD 27.5", DHR II 3C DH 27.5", Assagai 3C EXO+ 29" tires which I have all run Cushcore in them for over 2 years without any issues. I only seem to have a wobble with the Assagai 3C DD 29" tire. It makes no difference with or without Cushcore. That tire still has a wobble.
Came down some rough stuff today and afterwards noticed that the front wheel now wobbles. On the stand the wheel is true, it's the tyre that wobbles 3 or 4mm. Maxxis Assegai 29x2.5 WT 3C Maxxgrip DD. Inclined to just ignore the wobble until it wears out, what did you do with your tyre?

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
Came down some rough stuff today and afterwards noticed that the front wheel now wobbles. On the stand the wheel is true, it's the tyre that wobbles 3 or 4mm. Maxxis Assegai 29x2.5 WT 3C Maxxgrip DD. Inclined to just ignore the wobble until it wears out, what did you do with your tyre?
The only way I can see that a tire could develop a wobble, with the wheel remaining true, would have to be that the tire shifted the bead on the rim. This wouldn't happen on my setup as I run Cushcore. Assuming you are running tubeless, you could try letting all the air out of your tire and breaking the bead on both sides of the rim and then see if it will re-center after your inflate it a few times. Soap on the tire helps. I have had marginal success with doing this. In the end, 3 of the 5 Assagai MaxxGrip DD tires I bought had factory defects and nothing I did could get them to run true. For the slow tech riding I prefer and at the low tire pressures I run (F18 R20) I doubt I really notice any wobble. It was only when I rode down a fast jump trail at Whistler or a steep paved road, that I actually felt anything.

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
The only way I can see that a tire could develop a wobble, with the wheel remaining true, would have to be that the tire shifted the bead on the rim. This wouldn't happen on my setup as I run Cushcore. Assuming you are running tubeless, you could try letting all the air out of your tire and breaking the bead on both sides of the rim and then see if it will re-center after your inflate it a few times. Soap on the tire helps. I have had marginal success with doing this. In the end, 3 of the 5 Assagai MaxxGrip DD tires I bought had factory defects and nothing I did could get them to run true. For the slow tech riding I prefer and at the low tire pressures I run (F18 R20) I doubt I really notice any wobble. It was only when I rode down a fast jump trail at Whistler or a steep paved road, that I actually felt anything.
OK, thanks for the info, yes I'm running tubeless. I didn't feel any wobble, but I can see it.

The tyre ran true until now so I'll break the beads and reseat the tyre, if necessary a few times.

Thanks for the reply.

Edit: hope Crash Logan is recovering well.

Last edited:

Feb 6, 2023
Uk
I was swayed by Vittoria e maza and the low rolling resistance claims. Orbea rise light weight smaller 540wh battery

Can I tell the difference? Well the rr is not worse than the Maxxis oe tyres as far as I can tell. Is the range better? No idea as it’s winter and battery performance drops off 🤦🏻‍♂️ oh sigh…,

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Have let the air out and reseated the tyre a couple of times and it might be marginally improved but that could easily be my imagination. Will ride it again then if it's still the same will reseat it again. After that as long as I can't feel it and the tyre doesn't fail then I can't be arsed ...

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
Are you using tire levers to get the tires onto the rim?
Is there another way if the bead has been pushed into the center all of the way around the rim and its still too tight to pop the bead over the rim by hand? Tires can't be that soft. Well... they never used to be that soft that a plastic lever would damage the bead of the tire. Installing tires with Cushcore adds a level of difficulty that usually requires levers for me.

Jan 5, 2023
Greer Ranch
First ride on the Continentals and holy shit are they good.

Went from DHR2 F/R 2.8 maxterra + CC+
to
27.5 x 2.6 Argotal (soft enduro) and 27.5 x 2.6 Kryptotal DC (enduro) with CC+

2019 Levo 170mm Lyrik running 27.5 front & rear on high.
Definitely recommend!!!!

paquo

Jul 31, 2018
usa

i wanted to try out a kryptotal r instead of assegai on the Pivot but either 2.6 or 2.4 no 2.5 so next time i'll give a 2.4 a try
on the rail i put on pirelli enduro 2.6 f and r , they definitly dont match absolute grip as the above type but they roll well and have kept me out of trouble. The beads pop in crisply and this is the first tire i have used that doesn't loose air for weeks

Jan 5, 2023
Greer Ranch

i wanted to try out a kryptotal r instead of assegai on the Pivot but either 2.6 or 2.4 no 2.5 so next time i'll give a 2.4 a try
on the rail i put on pirelli enduro 2.6 f and r , they definitly dont match absolute grip as the above type but they roll well and have kept me out of trouble. The beads pop in crisply and this is the first tire i have used that doesn't loose air for weeks
This is the ultra soft compound lol. The soft and even the DC are really sticky!

Redders473

Jul 30, 2020
Leeds
Hillbilly front cannibal rear both in grid gravity is the ultimate combo. Honestly can't fault them i do wish they did cannibals in T7 though as they can wear quickly on the bike of ebikes

PDXRooster

Nov 4, 2022
Portland, OR

Went from DHR2 F/R 2.8 maxterra + CC+
to
27.5 x 2.6 Argotal (soft enduro) and 27.5 x 2.6 Kryptotal DC (enduro) with CC+

2019 Levo 170mm Lyrik running 27.5 front & rear on high.
Definitely recommend!!!!
Another winning vote for the new Continental Tires. Started with the stock Specialized tires that pinch flatted and dented the wheels, moved to 2.6 F/R MM and BB but never felt super confident on them. Moved to the Conti's and rippin! Hope they release the Super Soft compounds in Enduro casing soon as I'd prefer to run those in the front.
29 x 2.4 Argotal (super soft DH) and 27.5 x 2.4 Kryptotal Re (soft DH) Winter
29 x 2.4 Kryptotal Fr (super soft DH) and 27.5 x 2.4 Kryptotal Re (soft DH) Winter

mccoyman

Dec 26, 2022
Belgium
For those that are not so Lucky to live in hilly places i can vote for the Vittoria E Barzo! Enough grip for more xc and DC riding, some mud en great battery life.

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin

Can I ask how wide the 27 x 2.6s are at the tread?

Searching for the best 27.5" x 2.5" (actual) rear tire I can locate for a Relay build.

For very dry rocky terrain and prefer around a 1200 gram weight.

Was considering the Aggressor 2.5 honestly. Not very sexy I know.

theremotejuggernaut

Aug 2, 2022
UK
Anyone gone from a Maxxis Dissector to a Bontrager Xr4 or the other way around?

I want something fairly light, fast but still grippy. Currently got a Dissector 2.4 Exo Maxx Terra on the back which is a step in the right direction having removed a DHR2 2.4 Max Grip.

Haven't noticed much difference traction wise after removing the DHR. The bike still climbs loose tech stuff really well and I haven't noticed much difference cornering wise either. That's not necessarily saying the Dissector is as good as the Minion, more likely that I wasn't riding hard enough to need the Minion.

XR4 looks to be about 100g lighter than the Dissector which appeals. I'd rather not lose climbing traction and cornering though for such a small gain weight wise.

Bike is an Orbea Rise and riding is mostly natural UK stuff. Peak District, Surrey Hills, Shropshire Hills so a bit of a mix of everything. Rarely ride trail centres, don't do bike parks.

Wondering whether anyone's had the chance to do a direct comparison between the Xr4 and Dissector?

stmak

Mar 24, 2023
Italy
Hi to all, i am going to change the front tyre and i am in between the Magic Mary 2.4 super trail ultra soft and Magic Mary 2.6 super trail soft. I have read the 2.4 runs little narrow and the 2.6 is actual 2.5. Has anyone tried both or measured them ? Thanks

Bndit

Jul 14, 2022
Finland
Hi to all, i am going to change the front tyre and i am in between the Magic Mary 2.4 super trail ultra soft and Magic Mary 2.6 super trail soft. I have read the 2.4 runs little narrow and the 2.6 is actual 2.5. Has anyone tried both or measured them ? Thanks
I have Super Trail soft MM 2.6 on my Levo (or will be after the snow is gone) and Super Gravity ultra soft 2.4 on my Status. Haven't yet ridden either :D Last summer I had soft super trail on Status and went for little burlier and softer this year. Only ride bike park with it and love BB/MM combo. Haven't measured them but you can see the difference 2.4/2.6

Paris Doo

Jun 20, 2022
Greece
Many years ago my favorite tire was the Magic Mary but then I have spent most of my time ridding Maxxis tires (DHF, DHR2, Assegai). My first e bike (Sam2) came with Magic Mary 2.6 (soft, Super Trail front, Super Gravity back) and they are absolutely fantastic!

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
How wide are the
Many years ago my favorite tire was the Magic Mary but then I have spent most of my time ridding Maxxis tires (DHF, DHR2, Assegai). My first e bike (Sam2) came with Magic Mary 2.6 (soft, Super Trail front, Super Gravity back) and they are absolutely fantastic!

Could I ask how wide the 2.6 MM is (at the widest point on the tread) and also what terrain you ride? I am a Schwalbe fan boy, that's for sure.

I've tried true 2.6s in the past and they were bouncy and uncontrolled but have found that many 2.6s, are closer to 2.5s, which work ideally ime.

Some riders will make the argument that a .1" difference in width is nothing, but in reality, the difference in volume and overall size is quite substantial between different sizes.

Thanks

Bndit

Jul 14, 2022
Finland
How wide are the

Could I ask how wide the 2.6 MM is (at the widest point on the tread) and also what terrain you ride? I am a Schwalbe fan boy, that's for sure.

I've tried true 2.6s in the past and they were bouncy and uncontrolled but have found that many 2.6s, are closer to 2.5s, which work ideally ime.

Some riders will make the argument that a .1" difference in width is nothing, but in reality, the difference in volume and overall size is quite substantial between different sizes.

Thanks
I have never measured my tires because I don't have interest how wide they really are. If you want less bouncy go for more robust casing like Super Gravity from Schwalbe. Or use inserts so that you can run lower pressures. I'm kind of between here. In otherhand I like feel of inserts and low pressures and in otherhand I'd like to go all Super Gravity and no inserts like on my Status.
My local trails are roots and rocks and wet/muddy so I like damped tire which performs well in all conditions.

Last summer I rode Contis Der Barons, liked them a lot.

I can measure the tire for you, no problem.

Bndit

Jul 14, 2022
Finland
How wide are the

Thanks
32CDA5C4-0214-4DB8-A7FA-392C4CECB774.jpeg

Jdz

Jan 2, 2022
LHC
Kryptotals front and back in trail version on my rise now with about 80 miles under and best tires I have run in my super dry loose desert conditions. They do throw rocks like no other tire I've used, my paint is taking a beating! remains to see how they wear.

CliffP

Jan 24, 2023
San Antonio Texas
Anyone gone from a Maxxis Dissector to a Bontrager Xr4 or the other way around?

I want something fairly light, fast but still grippy. Currently got a Dissector 2.4 Exo Maxx Terra on the back which is a step in the right direction having removed a DHR2 2.4 Max Grip.

Haven't noticed much difference traction wise after removing the DHR. The bike still climbs loose tech stuff really well and I haven't noticed much difference cornering wise either. That's not necessarily saying the Dissector is as good as the Minion, more likely that I wasn't riding hard enough to need the Minion.

XR4 looks to be about 100g lighter than the Dissector which appeals. I'd rather not lose climbing traction and cornering though for such a small gain weight wise.

Bike is an Orbea Rise and riding is mostly natural UK stuff. Peak District, Surrey Hills, Shropshire Hills so a bit of a mix of everything. Rarely ride trail centres, don't do bike parks.

Wondering whether anyone's had the chance to do a direct comparison between the Xr4 and Dissector?
I have the same question; I have the new Pivot Shuttle S.L. and want a recommendation on tires;
I would like
No insert needed
Fast rolling
Good grip
Light weight
I ride dry conditions mainly rock gardens so decent sidewall protection is a plus .

Any help would be appreciated

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
I have the same question; I have the new Pivot Shuttle S.L. and want a recommendation on tires;
I would like
No insert needed
Fast rolling
Good grip
Light weight
I ride dry conditions mainly rock gardens so decent sidewall protection is a plus .

Any help would be appreciated

Fast rolling, good grip, light weight, good grip, rock gardens, no insert. Would sir like a blowjob on top? Just asking.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
@CliffP Take a look at the Continental Trail King with the black chilli compound and the Apex sidewall protection. A 29x2.4 weighs about 965g. The black chilli compound is what gives the tyre its grip alongside low rolling resistance (for its grippiness). On my mtbs I used the Conti TK for years and was very happy with them.

Or maybe the WTB Trail Boss TCS. My 27.5 x 2.5 weighs 1063g, so roughly the 29 x 2.4 might weigh in at 1076g

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles