What tyres? The Ultimate Tyre Thread

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
It's just a guess, so don't shoot me if it's wrong, but I'd give it a go. Only if MM weren't available though.

ccrdave

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
On my 30mm rims a 2.5 shorty comes up about the same size as a 2.35 MM. i think you would be ok on 23mm rims but you would need to keep the pressures up a bit to stop tyre roll

Interpaul

Jun 18, 2018
Edinburgh
ok, think I may just go with MM, having difficulty finding any for sale, CRC and Wiggle don't have 27.5 available in Addix soft or Supersoft.

Any ideas where to try?

Interpaul

Jun 18, 2018
Edinburgh
Thanks, so all the wide tyre chat on this thread got me thinking. Should I upgrade my wheel set to something a bit wider than the 23mm internal measurement I have. Checked my bike tonight and I have roughly a centimetre of free space on each side of the wheel on forks and chain stays.
I have a Lapierre Overvolt SX 800 with Fox 36 Forks.

It currently has Maxxis High Roller II 27.5 x 2.4. I measured the width of the tyre at pretty much 6cm so I could squeeze something 8cm wide at the very most into the bike.

Would I be able to fit wider wheels/tyres onto the bike with space I have?

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Is your bike Boost fitment? i.e. 110mm front hub and 148mm rear hub?

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Thanks, so all the wide tyre chat on this thread got me thinking. Should I upgrade my wheel set to something a bit wider than the 23mm internal measurement I have. Checked my bike tonight and I have roughly a centimetre of free space on each side of the wheel on forks and chain stays.
I have a Lapierre Overvolt SX 800 with Fox 36 Forks.

It currently has Maxxis High Roller II 27.5 x 2.4. I measured the width of the tyre at pretty much 6cm so I could squeeze something 8cm wide at the very most into the bike.

Would I be able to fit wider wheels/tyres onto the bike with space I have?

Ask japsuride on here he had an overvolt with upgraded wheels in fact he may be selling them I think

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
A question aimed right at the FoDders;

What rear tyre are you using right now?

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
Been looking for a 2.5wt to put on a 29er front wheel but cant find one

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
Ah ok probably why I cant find one lol.
I did consider the 2.4 but I have tried a 2.3 and was not impressed. The 2.8's stick like glue on the 27.5 wheels, its why I was looking for a slightly narrower one but in 29, I was hoping a good compromise between precise steering and very good grip.
I am trying a 2.35 Majic Mary which blows up to about 2.5 and so far that is pretty good but I think it may be a bit sketchy in the really dry trails we have at the moment.
I will probably just stick with the 2.8's on 27.5 wheels but I do like to experiment

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I’m running a 2.6 MM on the front and did have a “moment” last time out after getting ideas above my station at Dowies. Got a bit wayward on one run...

Where’s the best (cheapest) place to get Minions at the moment?

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
Give the 2.5 DHF a go, it works a treat on dry hardback & dust. Keep the MM for the wetter conditions where some find the DHR better than a DHF.

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
I just dont like the DHF I found them very sketchy lost the front end a few times with a DHF never lost it with a DHR2

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
I’m running a 2.6 MM on the front and did have a “moment” last time out after getting ideas above my station at Dowies. Got a bit wayward on one run...

Where’s the best (cheapest) place to get Minions at the moment?
Check the german sites bike24.de and such like

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
Only benefit I found with a DHR on the front was improved braking grip, the DHF generally feels a better directional tyre to me.
Life would be boring if we all thought the same though

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
I just dont like the DHF I found them very sketchy lost the front end a few times with a DHF never lost it with a DHR2
I've been running the DHR ll up front for a couple of seasons and changed to DHF this spring. And I agree with you, I lost grip on the front wheel a couple of times where I'm pretty sure the DHR ll would have gripped. But it seems to be working better now and I'm quite happy with it, guess I've slightly adjusted my cornering technique.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
@ccrdave and @knut7 What you guys are finding is the drift zone of the DHF.
Both tyres corner incredibly similarly when leant over properly. Both tyres absolutely rail corners.
The difference is the transition from centre tread to edge tread on the DHF has a larger clear area.
This is actually one of the main reasons I love the DHF so much.
Once you are used to it you use it to drift or grip at will.
The DHR2 does do this too it's just far more subtle a transition.
Where the DHR2 really outdoes a DHF is it's incredible straightline braking traction.

maxx_f_minion_dhf_ust_10_m.jpg
Minion-DHR2-Tread.jpg

(Ignoring th fact the DHF above is facing the wrong direction and the pics scale don't match). Do you see what i mean comparing the space between central and edge tread side by side?
Some fast guys actually trim down the outer edges of the wide centre knobs on the DHR2 in an attemp to get them to behave more like a better braking DHF

@Eckythump is 100% correct. A DHF is better directionally and a DHR2 is better at braking. They are both phenomenal tyres though so I wouldn't worry about it. And certainly wouldn't put all the blame on the tyre if you've lost grip on either.

Just a thought. You're not running your tyres overly soft are you? Even a DHF/DHR2 that's run so soft it folds the edge/sidewall in a corner can spit you on your face. This is the major drawback from running low pressures IMO. and why I never will.

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
Thanks Gary i do agree with what you say i just think the dhr2 is a bit more forgiving of my skill level and your right about the steering as well hence why i was looking for something a bit thinner to put on a 29er on the front (and for the 650b as well)
As for pressure i had been running the 2.8,s low 16 rear 14 front but now i use 22 rear and 20 front and its miles better but still experimenting

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Wow. That is low. i generally run my front 2.4 no lower than 32psi. I'm 200lb and love jumping, cornering and riding technical terrain fast though.

I thought DHF/DHR2s were available in 2.3 x 29. or do you mean narrower than that? like an XC tyre?

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
Yeah, it definitely is that transition(?) channel. I've experienced it berfore, I believe it was with the HR2. I was used to cornering a bit more agressively, but I guess I forgot after running the DHR2 for a while.

Last edited:

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Ordered from Tredz in the end, £48.99 with a discount code.

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
Wow. That is low. i generally run my front 2.4 no lower than 32psi. I'm 200lb and love jumping, cornering and riding technical terrain fast though.

I thought DHF/DHR2s were available in 2.3 x 29. or do you mean narrower than that? like an XC tyre?
I have tried a 29 x 2.3 but didnt get on wjth it on my ebike.
Would you run 2.8 tyres in the 30 psi range?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I wouldn't ever run 2.8 tyres

I run
2.5 f, 2.35r on DH bikes
2.4f, 2.3r enduro and Ebike
2,35/2.2 on hardtail

I cant stand the vague handling a plus tyre gives.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles