What tyres? The Ultimate Tyre Thread

Levo-Lon

Jan 21, 2020
Uk
Just fitted the 2.6 gripton tyres back on to my levo with foam inserts from planet X on sale for £13 for 2and valves, bargain.
I have about 16 psi in the tyres and I'm expecting good results.

See how they fair on my next outing

Having now tried them, very good , well worth the money ..just ordered another set for my other bike.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Having now tried them, very good , well worth the money ..just ordered another set for my other bike.
Glad they are working for you on your trails. I found them incredibly robust for a mid range construction and they have both good traction and relatively low rolling resistance in the right conditions. The downsides for me were that the compound is so hard ( good in terms of low wear!) that wet rock and root become treacherous, and secondly I found the cornering of the front tyre somewhat frightening and unpredictable. The sidewalls give little support at anything below about 20psi so maybe by using inserts you are able to run 16psi without any issues. Overall for trail riding they are good value but I had little confidence in them for fast gravity riding.

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
Are Eddy Current’s a good tyre for UK winter riding? (Mostly Surrey Hills, Afan, CyB, Cwmcarn)

Levo-Lon

Jan 21, 2020
Uk
Glad they are working for you on your trails. I found them incredibly robust for a mid range construction and they have both good traction and relatively low rolling resistance in the right conditions. The downsides for me were that the compound is so hard ( good in terms of low wear!) that wet rock and root become treacherous, and secondly I found the cornering of the front tyre somewhat frightening and unpredictable. The sidewalls give little support at anything below about 20psi so maybe by using inserts you are able to run 16psi without any issues. Overall for trail riding they are good value but I had little confidence in them for fast gravity riding.

That was the main reason I fitted the inserts.
The gripton are a bit so so..definitely better with a lower size though

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
It's been unusually muddy this year in Kentucky. I've ordered wet screams per good advice, but they are at the customs office in Chicago. Enough said? about that.

In search of the "best I can do with what's available" I've stumbled across what seems really good for serious muddy sh!te.

I'm running a 27.5×2.5 Tannus-Armour fitted Shorty 3C Max-Terra EXO in the rear in i35 rims at 15 PSI. So far it lives after 20 miles of rocky chunky muddy mess.

Up front I fitted a 27.5×2.6 tubeless Hillbilly GRID Gription on i35 rims at 18 PSI.

The Shorty is great when stood up. The large center lug seems to really dig and is sometimes amazing at what it will climb in slime. Lean it over in real mud though, and it gives up. I hate the Shorty as a front tire, love it as a rear tire. I'm only one country bumpkin though, take it for all its worth.

The Hillbilly lacks a little of the stood up traction of the Shorty, but grips better on the side lugs. It cleans out even faster than the shorty. It gives way and starts sliding, as gently as seems possible, in wet clay. It does not climb as well as the shorty, but it's pretty darn good. The hillbilly is actually a better all-rounder than the shorty, but give up just a little bit on wet and greasy climbs.

Shorty
15990800561414022324866662165448.jpg

Hillbilly
15990801199971287150817333154852.jpg

Mule
15990803088223286128773273899485.jpg

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
It's been unusually muddy this year in Kentucky. I've ordered wet screams per good advice, but they are at the customs office in Chicago. Enough said? about that.

In search of the "best I can do with what's available" I've stumbled across what seems really good for serious muddy sh!te.

I'm running a 27.5×2.5 Tannus-Armour fitted Shorty 3C Max-Terra EXO in the rear in i35 rims at 15 PSI. So far it lives after 20 miles of rocky chunky muddy mess.

Up front I fitted a 27.5×2.6 tubeless Hillbilly GRID Gription on i35 rims at 18 PSI.

The Shorty is great when stood up. The large center lug seems to really dig and is sometimes amazing at what it will climb in slime. Lean it over in real mud though, and it gives up. I hate the Shorty as a front tire, love it as a rear tire. I'm only one country bumpkin though, take it for all its worth.

The Hillbilly lacks a little of the stood up traction of the Shorty, but grips better on the side lugs. It cleans out even faster than the shorty. It gives way and starts sliding, as gently as seems possible, in wet clay. It does not climb as well as the shorty, but it's pretty darn good. The hillbilly is actually a better all-rounder than the shorty, but give up just a little bit on wet and greasy climbs.

Gee, you're keen. I just look at that and think I can do without the extra maintenance :ROFLMAO: Have you had any experience with magic mary? That hillbilly looks as though it would be good on the rear too, with mud? It might be a lot better standing up on the rear, with that extra weight bias?

I've had just two rides with tannus in a dhrII exo (weak side walls) 2.6 running at 14 psi - it's different. I think I'm still getting used to it. It is definitely a great option to have for light weight sidewall tyres! That tyre was useless set up as tubeless before. I carried on here with the tiny amount of mud we had, and a couple of rock slabs on steep climbs that got a bit wet :ROFLMAO: - now our winter is over already!

I like the tannus setup - it feels as though I'm running a moto trials tyre. And it sounds like I've got carbon fibre rims - although I've never had them. I've also just gone tubeless in the front, and a lb psi more because it's a weak exo sidewall tyre, but should be ok.

Last edited:

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Are Eddy Current’s a good tyre for UK winter riding? (Mostly Surrey Hills, Afan, CyB, Cwmcarn)
I've been looking for a rear 27.5 x 2.6 - can't find one. In general they don't seem to be sold. The fronts seem more available but maybe that's because no one bought them. Even wiggle etc have no stock. Pity, I really thought I'd like that tyre.

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
I've been looking for a rear 27.5 x 2.6 - can't find one. In general they don't seem to be sold. The fronts seem more available but maybe that's because no one bought them. Even wiggle etc have no stock. Pity, I really thought I'd like that tyre.
Did you try bike24 ? They sell lots of schwalbe. Big betty super gravity might be a good option if you dont find eddy currents in your size. BB is schwalbe's newest rear tire

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Did you try bike24 ? They sell lots of schwalbe. Big betty super gravity might be a good option if you dont find eddy currents in your size. BB is schwalbe's newest rear tire
Thanks for that. 20 euros delivery - that's a bit too much for me on the cost of a tyre :) I'll have a look at the big betty. I get the impression that eddy currents won't be around for long :(

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Thanks for that. 20 euros delivery - that's a bit too much for me on the cost of a tyre :) I'll have a look at the big betty. I get the impression that eddy currents won't be around for long :(
Ah yes, your a ways away i see. I havent ordered from them. A forum member told me theyve been good getting tires from them.might make more sense if a person needed a few things i suppose.
I have a friend in taz. We met him at silver star bike park in the spring a few summers ago. He ended up camping in my yard and we did a lot of bike trips all through bc that summer with the crew. Good times. I aim to get down there one day soon. Sounds pretty good there. Derby is a must see i think

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Derby is awesome - and the tracks are still growing. We live just 5 mins drive from a network of tracks here in Hobart. When it's dry I only have to ride on the road (all up hill) 800m to get onto the same network. BC looks awesome too - deeper forest than what we ride in here.

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Ya we keep in touch on occasion so whenever i hear of a trail there or see derby mention i pay note. Looks awesome.

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Gee, you're keen. I just look at that and think I can do without the extra maintenance :ROFLMAO: Have you had any experience with magic mary? That hillbilly looks as though it would be good on the rear too, with mud? It might be a lot better standing up on the rear, with that extra weight bias?

I've had just two rides with tannus in a dhrII exo (weak side walls) 2.6 running at 14 psi - it's different. I think I'm still getting used to it. It is definitely a great option to have for light weight sidewall tyres! That tyre was useless set up as tubeless before. I carried on here with the tiny amount of mud we had, and a couple of rock slabs on steep climbs that got a bit wet :ROFLMAO: - now our winter is over already!

I like the tannus setup - it feels as though I'm running a moto trials tyre. And it sounds like I've got carbon fibre rims - although I've never had them. I've also just gone tubeless in the front, and a lb psi more because it's a weak exo sidewall tyre, but should be ok.
Mud is it, if I want to ride. Last year by this time, it was a dust bowl, in mid summer I was running a Rekon! This year it always looks like this
Screenshot_20200903-040502_RadarNow!.jpg

I originally had the hillbilly on the rear tubeless. It's a good choice but it doesnt climb like a Shorty. My general feeling about the hillbilly as a rear tire, is that by the time it's a better rear tire than the Shorty, conditions are dry enough for something faster like the e-wilds. The Shorty is a stump puller.

Love Tannus-Armour ?ordered two more. I'm not 100% convinced it can transform an EXO into a Double Down but I'm testing the theory.

I'd love to try the Magic Mary, I just haven't yet. So many tires, so little money left to buy them.

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
The Wet-scream's arrived yesterday, from Spain!

Of course its dried out now, but rain is coming Sunday, hopefully a real gully washer?.

The wet screams I have recieved, are DD (Double down casings), and ST (super tacky compound), but do not claim to be TR (tubless ready)?.

Looking for opinions on my 3 options. Should I tube, tubeless, or tube with Tannus-armour?

I ride alot of rocky single track.

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Hardest tires/rim combo mounted so far?

Mounted them tubeless becuase there was no way I could get the 2.8 Tannus-Armour inside this unusually narrow 2.5 tire, with these Mavic EX630 rims.

But, it is done. Now I wait for the flood.

20200912_084248.jpg

jaakkokallio

Jun 20, 2020
Europe
Dh22s weren't hugely easy to get on, I would say easier than the e-wilds, but I think that's only because I'm less inept. Super easy to pump up. Didn't need the compressor. They don't pop either, just sort of slide into place.
Did you have any issues on holding the pressure after installation? Bit struggling with my Roval/DH22 combo.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Did you have any issues on holding the pressure after installation? Bit struggling with my Roval/DH22 combo.

When I first put them on, I walked away before taking the bike for a quick settlement spin and the both went flat in an hour or so.

The first day after another ride, the front lost a bit, but not much - but my front always used to seem to bleed a bit round the rim tape/band I think - it's pretty easy to roll the edges when you put the tyres on.

After about 3 or 4 rides they seemed to settle and now pretty much hold pressure.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Mounted them tubeless becuase there was no way I could get the 2.8 Tannus-Armour inside this unusually narrow 2.5 tire, with these Mavic EX630 rims.

But, it is done. Now I wait for the flood.

20200912_084248.jpg
You seem to have mounted them "bikeless" ? I know you're struggling with derailleur decisions - but removing everything connected to the derailleur seems a bit extreme.

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
I'm going to share my disappointment of the day and then try to do something useful.

The forecast showed many hours of rain. I set the trance up for mud with my new mud wheel wetscreems and full fender regalia.
20200913_102251.jpg

Not a drop of rain fell!

I'm so depressed I'm not even going to ride today.

steveo

Jul 20, 2019
Ka15hy
I'm going to share my disappointment of the day and then try to do something useful.

The forecast showed many hours of rain. I set the trance up for mud with my new mud wheel wetscreems and full fender regalia.
View attachment 40221

Not a drop of rain fell!

I'm so depressed I'm not even going to ride today.
Jesus Christ mate ! You don't know how lucky you are....... Iam from Scotland ?

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Jesus Christ mate ! You don't know how lucky you are....... Iam from Scotland ?
Sorry for being so callous. Its actually just as I planned it would be, and I've nobody to blame but myself. This year has been so wet, that I bought special rims and tires for mud (I am lucky and grateful in truth). Now after a two months journey (one month for rims from HC, and 1 month for tires from Spain). I have them! So of course it drys out to be absolutely perfect conditions.

In absolute truth, as messed up as the world seems today, being able to let go and talk about bicycles is a blessing!

Thank you for your sobering judgments.

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
It's all good. I'm waiting for rain. The rocky here is mostly little bits and pieces of lime stone. Not slabs. I mean we have slabs, but none of that on my trail. Its hell on tires for punctures and shite, but traction not a problem. It's the clay I wanted to try mud tires on.

I've been reading old books and some of the classical speech is entering my vocabulary I guess.

Flatslide

E*POWAH Master
Jul 14, 2019
Dunedin NZ
Seeing as they were the same price as a DHF, I fitted a 2.6" (measures 2.5 on a 35mm rim), Vittoria Mazza enduro 4c to the front of my bike and threw an old DHF on the rear. Works as a pretty good combo tbf. I'm surprised how good the DHF is as a climbing tyre. The Mazza works well in our wet and wild spring conditions. It's pretty good on the hard pack under the trees too.

Last edited:

Crazee horse

Sep 20, 2020
Uk
I've just put magic mary 27.5 2.60 on my front and nobby nic on the rear, snakeskin sidewall is super stiff, and I'm 16.5st with just 20 psi up front and they're still hard to feel, even riding the tyre feels like it's way higher. How low can you go with tubeless?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles