Levo Gen 3 What is normal Gen 3 Levo Motor Noise?

LevoBiker

Feb 11, 2023
NJ
New Levo Comp Carbon owner here. I have been following the threads about motor failures and the noise that they make. It's hard to tell from the videos what is normal. On a quiet trail, especially when climbing, my motor makes a whining noise. To me, it sounds like what a electric motor should sound like. Not loud, but if a buddy was riding close by me, it could be heard. But folks on this forum say that their motors are whisper quiet or "quiet as a mouse". If I'm riding on the street or on a level trail, the tire noise drowns out whatever noise the motor is making and I guess I can then say it is "quiet". So, it would be helpful if I knew what really is the normal sound from the Gen 3 motor when under some load. Is there a decibel range that is spec'd or at least someone tell me that the Gen 3 motors do make some noise!

Cb750stu

Subscriber
Nov 6, 2020
United Kingdom
They are far from silent like some people claim there's are 🙄 yeah they do whine a bit especially under load but as you say it's an electrical motor,

I've had two motors replaced by Specialized since I took ownership of the bike , you really will know the difference when the motor is goosed it's a horrible sound ,
My 3rd motor currently fitted is going good afternoon 600miles 🤟

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
My mate has a 2019 Levo with original motor and has done over 2k miles. My son has a 2021 Levo and just had a new motor installed. Both are ally bikes. My sons motor is noticeably louder than my mates. In fact it is probably as loud as my Bosch CX motor but has a different pitch. So I wonder if the bigger and stronger belt in the latest Brose motors is the reason.

LevoBiker

Feb 11, 2023
NJ
This is good info knowing that there will be some motor sound under load and that it will be dramatic when something is wrong. I can also barely hear and feel the motor disengage when I stop pedaling on the trail. I still wish there was a clip recording the sound from the motor and indicating where the rider was holding his phone to record the sound, so that one can replicate it.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
This is good info knowing that there will be some motor sound under load and that it will be dramatic when something is wrong. I can also barely hear and feel the motor disengage when I stop pedaling on the trail. I still wish there was a clip recording the sound from the motor and indicating where the rider was holding his phone to record the sound, so that one can replicate it.
that would not be of much help...............whether a smart phone or action camera the microphone frequency response is not great and also pretty directional by design

HGmtb

Patreon
Jan 16, 2019
Sydney
I also have a 2019 Levo, which finally needed a new motor a couple of months ago - and the new motor is definitely noisier than the original one . . . not an unpleasant noise, but slightly annoying nonetheless.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles