What have I done

tolmie35

Jul 29, 2021
Glasgow
Evening folks, Im new to mountain bikes, been cylcing to work for a month and tonight I went to my local trail park, unfortunately I fell off the bike a rolled down a hill a fair bit but I've broken my right brake. From these pics can you advise what I've done and roughly what I should be paying the bike shop to repair it.

IMG_5643.JPG

IMG_5642.JPG

Scott5297

May 10, 2020
Birmingham
I broke my front brake lever in a fall late last year.

My bike has Shimano BL-M315 hydraulic brake levers.

The local bike shop replaced the lever for £35.

I made the job a bit easier by removing the lever and calliper while still connected by the hydraulic pipe and bringing them to the shop. It avoided trying to ride there with no front brake or heaving the bike into the boot of the car.

only consider this if you have the right tools and are confident that you can put it all back together...

You've probably lost a small component from the lever assembly so there's a chance it could be repaired. ( Tektro 0038H13206B1?)

Last edited:

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
It cant really be repaired properly. It looks like the circlip that holds the adjuster screw has ripped through the metal of the master cylinder body.
The circlip is fitted into a groove, and can only be removed using circlip pliers, so the only way it can come out is with the tool and if it has, and you've said it was a fall, then the blade has been forced the wrong way and ripped it through the metal.
I can just see a bit of torn metal on the lower portion where it normally seats.

You might be able to get it back into the groove, but it will depends how much of the groove is left intact. It might pop back out, but then again in normal use it might not.

Get yourself a uber cheap pair of circlip pliers and try to refit it yourself before going the more costly replacement route.

To do this wind the entire adjuster screw out the lever before attempting to reinstall the circlip. You can wind it back in after fitting by putting the Allen key right through the mount, onto the end of the adjuster screw, then winding it back till it catches and starts to wind through the lever end mount.

You wont be able to get the pliers into that space with the adjuster screw/rod still fitted to the lever. With it unscrewed you can flip the lever right back out the way.
Only thing is the piston(the concave bit inside the cylinder), is on a spring, so you need to apply pressure to that, then try to fit the circlip. This is a 3 hand job. So you'll need to be dexterous and have a mate push that part in.
Its tricky, and theres lots of swearing, and gnashing of teeth.
You can do it yourself, but theres even more gnashing of teeth, shouting, swearing and kicking anything within reach.Great sense of relief and satisfaction getting it fitted though.

If you look at this Hope lever(I know its not a Hope), but the bits are about the same and gives you the impression of what it is and where its suppose to fit
HBSP103 is the circlip.
Im glad Hope moved away from that horrible circlip fixing to a stirrup and small bolt to hold the screw in. From doing them, I've always felt that brain surgery would be an easier task. It is the fiddliest time consuming,annoying and difficult job imaginable.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles