What hardtail tourer would you buy you wife with €4000 this summer?

tomato paste

Mar 18, 2019
Germany
Long story short, the wife's bike was stolen, but insurance paid back the purchase price plus our upgrades.

She had a thron2 and wants to downgrade to a hardtail without a seat dropper 😭.

So, what do you tell her to buy this summer given such news today?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
If she wants to downgrade to a hardtail and doesn't want a dropper then I'd suggest a hub motored Decathlon or similar for about £1000 ?

She'd have more crank clearance, probably a simple and easy to remove battery, cheaper parts, simpler gears, a motor which will perform adequately for what she actually wants from the bike with similar performance for fireroads and so on, a 12 month return if you don't like it option, inbuilt antitheft by design due to less desirability.

Which then, by my calculations, leaves about £300 for upgrades for her bike and about £2700 for upgrades for your bike.

And yes, I'm being serious ... But change the tyres if she rides in the wet.

tomato paste

Mar 18, 2019
Germany
This is the suggestion I made thus far. Didn't get a big response.

1639334888703.png

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
If she liked her Thron & you're in Germany, a Jarifa seems logical. No dropper, in budget & a brand you know & is probably readily available.

Neeko DeVinchi

Dec 31, 2020
UK
If you're considering a hardtail ebike @tomato paste with a hub motor, I'd get her one of the NCM Bikes like the Venice or Moscow. From experience, they are very reliable, easily upgradeable and Leon Cycles (especially from when I liaised with them some years ago), have expanded their dealer network and their warranty service is on par with the top manufacturers. I remember I 'accidentally' tripped the BMS in my Moscow battery due to messing around with it by over-vaulting a different motor. Without issue and question, they swapped it (and this is me in the UK liaising with Leon Cycles in Hanover back in 2018 through my Amazon purchase). I was so impressed, I ended up buying my mom a NCM bike and she (along with myself), still own ours. Granted, I don't use mine as often but my mom does and thus, the Reention Darado batteries still get used.

If a mid-drive is more your wife's 'cup of tea', I'm surprised you haven't considered checking out Greatebikes.eu
They have some good options at pretty decent prices with motors ranging from Bosch, Bafang, Shimano etc. Hardtail, full suspension, touring etc.
One brand which may be a worthy consideration could be Crussis.

Hope you find your wife the best ebike for her needs👍🏿

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
Also on the table, maybe even an Aventura2?
You can compare them on the Focus site. Hope this helps. In essence, they want 300 Euros for a couple of lights. I'd be all over the Jafira like a cheap coat, personally.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles