What did you buy your ebike this week?

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
Hi, re the bit are you not concerned that it will have negative impact on torque values as it may be weaker / softer material than standard TX nut? 🤔
Nah atleast I don't think so, it's for my small torque wrench up to 24 nm
It's made of chroom-vanadium-steel.

The 1/4 inch bit sets costs 30-40 euro, this bit only cost 4 euros. And I have alot of professional bits laying around so I can easy throw one away if it's damaged.

2wheeledwalbert

Apr 16, 2019
Gloucestershire, England
Some half price rockshox lyric ultimate from tredz. 👌 Still trying to dial them in.
PXL_20230117_153621234.jpg

darwink1

Dec 19, 2022
Ontario, Canada
Too bad your cranks didn't come in pink (maybe gold?) as the silver is messing with your bike's Feng Shui :unsure: How/where did you get a pink coil for your shock ? I have a Fox DHX2 SLS col in fugly orange and would prefer it to be either silver or black.
They come in purple but not in 155mm and purple. I like the raw look since the ano rubs off anyways.

I stripped and powder coated the coil, pretty simple to do.

D

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
Someone liked stickers as a kid 

They come in purple but not in 155mm and purple. I like the raw look since the ano rubs off anyways.

D

D
Nice! So heating up a coil (we do 450 degrees for 20 minutes) to powder coat it will not affect the temper of the spring? How did you clean off the original paint?

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
2022 Rail Alloy. Bought a Reverse ISCG-05 chain guide. Simple to fit using the original bolts and spacers. Can also flip the guide up to clean the chain and chain ring, or if it's really mucky to avoid mud and debris build up. And yeah, the bike's mucky ...

20230123_142720~2.jpg 20230123_142727~2.jpg

darwink1

Dec 19, 2022
Ontario, Canada
Nice! So heating up a coil (we do 450 degrees for 20 minutes) to powder coat it will not affect the temper of the spring? How did you clean off the original paint?
The heat doesn't affect the coils, I do 425 for 15 minutes.

To get the original paint off the coil I used paint remover and a wire brush. If you let it soak it doesn't take long.

D

darwink1

Dec 19, 2022
Ontario, Canada
Threw a oneup ebar on the norco bigfoot to replace the weirdly shaped stock bar. Wire wasn't long enough to route the mode selector through the bar unfortunately.

Before anyone asks, the things on the end of the bar are Loam Lab Counterpunch bar ends. I'm trying them out after a tree almost ripped my pinkie finger off this fall. I've brushed up against a few since putting them on and they seem to work as advertised.

20230124_082421.jpg
20230124_082441.jpg
20230124_164346.jpg

20230124_164358.jpg

D

JStrube

Sep 15, 2022
Atwater, CA
Nothing, but should buy this for a Christmas present E-Bike W@nker — Bentley Components
View attachment 78161
As I dredge through this entire thread, looking for good bits to buy my bike, this gem popped up. I must order one...

Though, it struck me funny that a UK site had a top cap that said "F@ck the Torries"... a cry heard in this country over 200 years ago...
You guys sure produce a lot of neat little bike bits, small business sorts of stuff. I dig it.

John.

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
I hope people who own a Giant Emtb are aware that if they fit these parts themselves, they are completely voiding their warranty for the entire bike.
Fit new rear derailleur and the frame snaps are the headtube, it was your fitting of the mech means that you voided the warranty and will not be getting a shiny new frame.

SwampNut

Oct 26, 2022
Peoria, AZ USA
I hope people who own a Giant Emtb are aware that if they fit these parts themselves, they are completely voiding their warranty for the entire bike.
Fit new rear derailleur and the frame snaps are the headtube, it was your fitting of the mech means that you voided the warranty and will not be getting a shiny new frame.

Certainly not in the US, but that sucks. Is that for the entire EU, or just Scotland?

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
Certainly not in the US, but that sucks. Is that for the entire EU, or just Scotland?
As far as im aware thats worldwide.
People we asking on a singletrackworld thread about this as someone had striped down his bike to send to giant to deal with a warranty issue about a crack. Giant are ignoring the obvious crack, and because the owner stripped the bike they're saying thats what voided the warranty.

So others are enquiringly what else voids the warranty ?, and it seems doing anything at all voids it and the only way is to give your bike to a recognized giant dealer for them to do the work.
This work can involve taking off a fork or shock to send to TF tuned. Take either off yourself, and the entire bike warranty is voided.

its doing any work, servicing included and thats grounds according to Giant to give you the big brush off
Change wheels yourself - voided
Fork,shock or any drivetrain component yourself - voided.
And probably all other scenarios.

SwampNut

Oct 26, 2022
Peoria, AZ USA
As far as im aware thats worldwide.

US law specifically prohibits manufacturers from voiding warranties for allowing third party work, or for causes unrelated to the issue. If you take your car to have a third party shop install custom headlights, and the engine fails, the manufacturer can't "void the warranty." If you change out your derailleur and the head tube snaps, that would not be a legal reason to deny a warranty claim. This was passed many decades ago because of that very problem, where someone would try to force people to use their brand dealers. It's even illegal here to claim that it does void the warranty.

There is also a "warranty of merchantability" where it is assumed that you get a guarantee that the product does what it clearly should do, even without a written warranty. It's an implied warranty. You can't be sold a light bulb that won't light up unless you buy the light unlocking software module.

The only way around this in the US is if the service/part is provided FREE. For example if Giant said, "you must obtain an inspection at six months at a Giant dealer, which will be provided at no cost," then that would be legal. I had that experience with a generator, and that was fine. The initial service/inspection was part of the price, and if I didn't have it done, no warranty. Fair.

Copy and paste info:

"Tie-In Sales" Provisions​

Generally, tie-in sales provisions aren’t allowed. These are provisions that state or imply that a consumer must buy or use an item or service from a particular company to keep their warranty coverage. Here are some examples of prohibited tie-in sales provisions.

“To keep your new Plenum Brand Vacuum Cleaner warranty in effect, you must use genuine Plenum Brand Filter Bags. Failure to have scheduled maintenance performed, at your expense, by the Great American Maintenance Company, Inc., voids this warranty.”

“This limited warranty shall not apply if the warranty seal has been broken, removed, erased, defaced, altered, or is otherwise illegible,” where a device cannot be repaired without such effects.

However, a warrantor can require a consumer to use select items or services if they’re provided free of charge under the warranty or the warrantor receiver a waiver from the FTC. To get a waiver, you must prove to the FTC’s satisfaction that your product won’t work properly without a specified item or service. Contact the warranty staff of the FTC’s Bureau of Consumer Protection for information on how to apply for a waiver.

In addition, it is permissible to disclaim warranty coverage for defects or damage caused by the use of parts or service you didn’t provide. Here is an example of a permissible provision in that circumstance:

Necessary maintenance or repairs on your AudioMundo Stereo System can be performed by any company. Damage caused to the AudioMundo Stereo System by you or any non-authorized third party, however, may void this warranty.

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
Threw a oneup ebar on the norco bigfoot to replace the weirdly shaped stock bar. Wire wasn't long enough to route the mode selector through the bar unfortunately.

Before anyone asks, the things on the end of the bar are Loam Lab Counterpunch bar ends. I'm trying them out after a tree almost ripped my pinkie finger off this fall. I've brushed up against a few since putting them on and they seem to work as advertised.

View attachment 105159 View attachment 105160 View attachment 105161

View attachment 105162

D
I’ve swapped to these bars on almost all of my bikes now, they’re more compliant than the regular one-up bars. They’ve allowed me to ride a lot longer without wrist the wrist pains I was getting.

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
Just testing this guy out around the neighborhood… have the matching helmet mounted light as well… too cold to be out after sunset these days though.

View attachment 105152
I have the same set-up, actually prefer it over my old Exposure six pack/Diablo set-up I used to use. It’s not as bright on paper but lights up way more of the trail than the exposure stuff. The way it disperses the light is way better IMO. I’d highly recommend it if it wasn’t so expensive getting it to the UK.

2WHLFUN

Apr 27, 2022
Trinidad, CO
I just received a Charger 2.1 damper upgrade for my ZEB Select fork and replaced the stock KS dropper
Lever with a Wolf Tooth long lever.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles