What did you buy your ebike this week?

Banktramp

Jul 13, 2019
West Midlands
I brought some 2021 SRAM Code R brakes and upgraded Uber bike E-Matrix E Bike specific pads, 800mm Nukeproof Horizon riser bars. And a new 11 speed quick link as I recently had a chain snap on my last ride.

Last edited:

MSH

Nov 8, 2020
Spain
Brake pads, bleed kit, DHR 2 DD, brake pad thingy you put when getting out the wheel, lube, valves, FF helmet, lock ring.. And the list will increase next week ?

deksawyer

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jan 11, 2020
Fife, Scotland
This little bad boy. Maxxis Shorty 2.5 WT DD Maxxgrip yada yada yada..... It looks so skinny compared to my front 2.8.

IMG20201127164923.jpg

routrax

E*POWAH Master
Jun 15, 2019
Uxbridge
Finally got round to bolting my new bits on.

160mm Debonair Airshaft upgrade for the Yari
Rockshox Monarch 210x60, shimmed to reduce the stroke (increases the rear travel to 150mm).
29" Nukeproof front wheel with Michelin Wild AM.
Ergon saddle.
1606608798894.png

davarello

Oct 29, 2018
New Zealand
1x new chain for the Levo, only the second one in two years. Broke the current chain last week doing an ill advised climb in too high a gear, fixed it with a quick link, but not too confident in its durability, so pays to have plan B readty

willeco

Jul 28, 2020
Halle
Since it's getting colder and wetter (and I needed some new winter gloves):
Sealskinz Waterproof Extreme cold weather gloves:
go_348578_a.jpg

And while they were on sale the somewhat thinner Craft Rain Glove 2.0
BK.jpg

Maidentrip tomorrow for the SealSkinz... ?

rydeezie

Jul 26, 2020
san francisco, california
That is very nice, it'll be a shame to get it covered in chain gunk.
Yeah. For sure not needed. Your detailer works with the 52?
Don’t forget, Use the space checker in the second gear.
Yes Axs derailleurs work with the 52
If mechanical, the updated derailleur is needed
Currently have the copper 52 on SL which im moving to my other bike

i do need the new space checker. Stam should include with the cassette. I’m winging it with the old checker

rydeezie

Jul 26, 2020
That is very nice, it'll be a shame to get it covered in chain gunk.
Thanks
Didn’t have that issue with previous rainbow cassette
The color just fades as the cassette wears and just becomeare metal
By that time the teeth are already sharp anyways

i do lube and wipe the chain more often now that i have an ebike

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
i do need the new space checker. Stam should include with the cassette. I’m winging it with the old checker
You don't actually need it.
Infact. I never use them. Chain length and suspension chain growth have a large effect on where the jockey wheel sits in each gear so it's actually worth fine tuning B-Tension without using the guide and setting up shifting while taking sag into account. Especially on an Ebike where every little bit extra chainwrap matters even more in the smaller sprockets.

rydeezie

Jul 26, 2020
You don't actually need it.
Infact. I never use them. Chain length and suspension chain growth have a large effect on where the jockey wheel sits in each gear so it's actually worth fine tuning B-Tension without using the guide and setting up shifting while taking sag into account. Especially on an Ebike where every little bit extra chainwrap matters even more in the smaller sprockets.
I see what you are saying

So in search for the b tension sweet spot would you say it’s better to have the jockey wheel to be closer, or further from the cassette teeth?

I would imagine as close a possible, while at sag, that would still allow proper fast shifting. Also to have more of the chain to wrap around the cassette....I’m guessing here

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Yes. the closer it is the greater chainwrap and the quicker your shifts.
Obviously not so close that it causes any issues

rydeezie

Jul 26, 2020
Yes. the closer it is the greater chainwrap and the quicker your shifts.
Obviously not so close that it causes any issues
Nice! I always thought it but wasn’t sure. Good to hear it from someone who knows. Thanks for the great advice. Years of tinkering with bikes and still learning something new.

i also try to have as many links as possible when i have to cut a new chain. When off the bike there is no tension with the chain and derailleur when on smallest ring. I hope it’s ok. Haven’t had any issues so far

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
i also try to have as many links as possible when i have to cut a new chain. When off the bike there is no tension with the chain and derailleur when on smallest ring. I hope it’s ok. Haven’t had any issues so far
No. this is pretty much the opposite of what length chain you want.
cycle the rear swing arm (with no air in the shock or spring removed) to find the point where it creates greatest chaingrowth and shorten your chain to just long enough when shifted into your largest rear sprocket.

rydeezie

Jul 26, 2020
No. this is pretty much the opposite of what length chain you want.
cycle the rear swing arm (with no air in the shock or spring removed) to find the point where it creates greatest chaingrowth and shorten your chain to just long enough when shifted into your largest rear sprocket.
Ok that’s how i used to do it before trying this new method which consists of cutting each link one by one. For some reason i had this idea of having as many links as possible. I think i just remove 4 links in the process

I wanted my derailleur to be “relaxed” when not in use and start to have tension when I’m on the bike. But not too loose of a chain where it would cause issues when the wheels are off the ground

I guess the correct way is for the chain to be as short as possible but still enough at greatest chain growth

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
that idea doesn't really make any sense . the tension on the lower portion of chain is only created by the the derailleur cage spring/clutch. and there's no reason for that spring to need to be "relaxed"
all you're doing by running too long a chain is creating more chain flap/slap and reducing chain retention. and that's pretty much the last thing you want your chain to be doing while you're in the air.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
When we had our normal mountain bikes, wife was always a mile behind me so we got e-mountain bikes.

Now we have our ebikes wife is still always 1 mile behind me ?

I therefore bought these 2 way radios to keep in contact ?

they come with hands free headsets but I’m not convinced about the quality. I did buy a better headset to try and will test them out today. Could be a big waste of money but worth a try.

BEF20147-32B9-4363-9040-AFCFBD30DC63.jpeg

Tonycube

Apr 30, 2020
South Wales
When we had our normal mountain bikes, wife was always a mile behind me so we got e-mountain bikes.

Now we have our ebikes wife is still always 1 mile behind me ?

I therefore bought these 2 way radios to keep in contact ?

they come with hands free headsets but I’m not convinced about the quality. I did buy a better headset to try and will test them out today. Could be a big waste of money but worth a try.

View attachment 46323
800mm Nukeproof Horizon riser bars.
Now on the look out for deal on a nukeproof horizon stem 31.8 to50mm.

Pivot

E*POWAH Master
Jun 11, 2020
New Forest, England
Are those pedals any good? Been looking to get some rick ross to

I can confirm, the RockBros pedals are serving me very well! The 135mm pedal width is exactly what I was after. Occasionally I get few more pedal strikes when riding through narrow tracks, but I prefer to have larger surface area between my boots and the pedals.
I have lubed the pedals with WD40, also applied light-strength Loctite to the screw-on spikes and I expect it to last few seasons.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles