What did you buy your ebike this week?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I am however a better, faster, more confident rider now so I think there is something in what @Gary says.
I'm just a seriously hungover dude who in a moment of procrastination tried to add a little friendly helpful advice from my own experience. I stand by that advice 100%
Folk are free to use or ignore any advice I give. Whether they also choose to BUY NEW STUFF or not isn't even relevant.
I probably shoulda known better, most folk just want to

BUY NEW STUFF !!

especially in a thread about BUYING NEW STUFF ;)

I haven't ever owned vibrocores* and refuse to ever run carbon bars but I ride a super stiff short travel (normal) hardtails with high tyre pressures quite a lot and just don't really suffer from arm pump, P&N or numbness no matter what I ride on them. (Incl DH/derp)

*have only ridden other folks Vibrocores up and down the street or around a carpark

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
E54358D0-1EBA-4D9F-A558-3CC52ADA6505.jpeg

A shoe drier from Amazon!
£16
On Saturday and Sunday I had to stuff my shoes full of newspaper, and swap it over every 30 mins. They were squelching when I walked! Long wet grass, and the water was running down my legs and into my shoes. The trails were soaking too.

I think I’ll still have to do a couple of shots of newspaper to get the worst off, but this thing dried my daughters Converse straight out of the washing machine in a 20min cycle.

Canvas trainers vs thick padded 5:10’s - but I’m hopeful ?

speedkills

May 17, 2020
Boulder, CO
I'm just a seriously hungover dude who in a moment of procrastination tried to add a little friendly helpful advice from my own experience. I stand by that advice 100%
Folk are free to use or ignore any advice I give. Whether they also choose to BUY NEW STUFF or not isn't even relevant.

BUY NEW STUFF !!

I haven't ever owned vibrocores* and refuse to ever run carbon bars but I ride a super stiff short travel (normal) hardtails with high tyre pressures quite a lot and just don't really suffer from arm pump, P&N or numbness no matter what I ride on them. (Incl DH/derp)

*have only ridden other folks Vibrocores up and down the street or around a carpark

I was just trying to understand your advice, which I think I do now. As for as my opinion, it's just my opinion, and it appears the minority opinion at that and I have no problem with that. Given that it's cheaper, and most folks seem to agree with your opinion it makes sense to go with that first.

Did you ever suffer arm pump, P&N or numbness or is it just not a thing for you?

speedkills

May 17, 2020
Boulder, CO

BUY NEW STUFF !!

I look forward to your upcoming seminar on frugal living. I hope you discuss how you have been riding the same one and only bike you have ever owned and how it is equally good at XC racing and Freeride competitions. Bonus if you can work in how you don't really ride eMTBs, or even own one but you do making whirring noises in your head while you ride it and it is just as good as that one time you rode a friends eMTB around down the street. ?

I kid, I kid....um....is this where I say deal with it princess?

But seriously, "most folks" seem to agree with you so no need to feel the world is turning on you, and while I have a different experience, I'm not denying yours or saying you are wrong, just that I have a different experience. I have no delusions that my experience applies to everyone else, I was just sharing it, not trying to convince anyone, after all, if you have something that works, awesome, and if you have a free thing that works, even better ?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Sorry.. .completely missed this post...
I'll reply. but... Just the once ;)
I can use smaller words if it helps
Nah... it's cool. it's bad enough you guys already leave out half the letters in OUR words ;)

certainly not trying to confuse you.
Thing is... talking about MOTORCYCLES when BICYCLE riding technique is being discussed is completely obtuse. The physics of the two and the riders of each are even vaguely comparable. and YES. it will CONFUSE matters.

For me, it's because it's a similar riding position
Yeah. similar. but not the same. So... like i said, irrelevant. The effect of a 200lb riders position on a 230lb motorbike with 50hp is massively different to that same rider on a 50lb Ebike with a combined rider/motor output of less than 1hp
and another case where I hang onto bars,
again. Not really. on a pushbike it's not "hanging on" so much as supporting the rider or pre-loading the bike. If you're "hanging on" while descending fast or steep rough technical terrain on your Ebike there's your problem. ie. no wonder you're getting hand fatigue

and if they are the wrong angle, my hand goes numb
This is basic control set-up 101 (although I did cover this quickly in my original reply)

Forever Wild

May 21, 2020
Arizona
I wasn't talking to you though.
I was replying to a rider who admitted to lacking confidence when riding steeper mtb terrain.
This almost always causes fear, stiffness and overbraking.

when properly steep terrain is involved, motorcycle riding technique/advice is hugely irrelevant to mtb riding.
Why motorcycle riders even bother to chime in with comparisons confuses me.
I replaced my stock bar on my 2020 powerfly LT 9.7 with a 35mm 40Mm rise Renthal Fatbar last month. My hand numbness and my confidence going down steep descents both improved dramatically. The 40mm rise made me feel like I wasn’t directly over the bar when going steep downhill. The original stock bar had a 15mm rise.

I also have a 2019 Kenevo I just purchased new recently and I’m upgrading the bar to a vibrocore with a 50mm rise. Trying to solve the same problems on my Kenevo.

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
Agree. Mine has come off too. Looking for guidance, how will you attach this one to ensure it want come off? Thanks

Seems to have a bit of adhesive tape to stick itself back on with. I'll be adding a dollop of clear silicone (bathroom) sealant to make sure it stays stuck but can be removed later if necessary.

RazorBlade

Jun 6, 2020
UK
Seems to have a bit of adhesive tape to stick itself back on with. I'll be adding a dollop of clear silicone (bathroom) sealant to make sure it stays stuck but can be removed later if necessary.
Windscreen adhesive comes in a tube the same, but is better suited it won't come off, unless you cut it off (dental floss down the back in a sawing motion)

Plus it's black and will match better. ?

PJ27

Jan 8, 2020
Gosford, NSW
Windscreen adhesive comes in a tube the same, but is better suited it won't come off, unless you cut it off (dental floss down the back in a sawing motion)

Plus it's black and will match better. ?

do you ever need to take this cover off? Do you need to take off for servicing?

deksawyer

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jan 11, 2020
Fife, Scotland
Thanks, It's a Charge Spoon from Merlin Cycles in Chorley GB

I remember them in a small unit, not far from a Macdonalds about 2001/02. Visited them with 2 much more serious mtbers on the way home from Donington world superbikes. Or it might've been Moto GP.

Too long ago to remember....

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles