T1-Stem_1a0fd4c5-18ef-4ba5-9905-96322be7135a_800x.jpg
oneup-components-dropper-seatpost-v3-240_1800x1800.jpg
sram-gx-eagle-axs-electronic-groupset.jpg

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Got some new booties yesterday.(settle down …MTB shoes 😉). I liked the old ones but a trail incident changed that.

IMG_7633.jpeg

A LBS thankfully had the model and size that I needed.

IMG_7629.jpeg
I also replaced the AXS GX derailer battery cage with a red one (probably 3D printed) from Amazon. The black one went flying somewhere after an OTB

IMG_7635.jpeg
This battery cage seems to be a tighter fit and it’s red/orange so I might be able to find it in the dirt/sticks.

Polar

Jun 16, 2023
Norway
Got some new booties yesterday.(settle down …MTB shoes 😉). I liked the old ones but a trail incident changed that.

View attachment 141126

A LBS thankfully had the model and size that I needed.

View attachment 141127
I also replaced the AXS GX derailer battery cage with a red one (probably 3D printed) from Amazon. The black one went flying somewhere after an OTB

View attachment 141135
This battery cage seems to be a tighter fit and it’s red/orange so I might be able to find it in the dirt/sticks.
BOA is a fantastic invention👍🏻

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
BOA is a fantastic invention👍🏻
Yup 👍🏻. Laces went through my chainring once …one time.

My dexterity is not the best but I can tighten up BOA laces on the fly or while wearing boxing gloves. Most of my riding shoes have BOA. Winter boots(1), wet shoes (2), summer shoes (1).

Polar

Jun 16, 2023
Norway
Yup 👍🏻. Laces went through my chainring once …one time.

My dexterity is not the best but I can tighten up BOA laces on the fly or while wearing boxing gloves. Most of my riding shoes have BOA. Winter boots(1), wet shoes (2), summer shoes (1).
wouldn't mind a pair of Fox Union BOA flatpedal But ~$250...no way 😩

Astro66

May 24, 2024
Sydney Australia
Big spend this week. New Shimano XT Di2 12 speed electronic transmission added. It gave me FREE SHIFT which means I don't need to pedal to change gears. I can coast and change gears, and the motor spools the chainwheel independent of the cranks. Or I can set Auto and let the motor choose the gear whilst I'm coasting, and manually shift as well.

Very nice. I can thoroughly recommend the upgrade.

1716853016493.png

1716859204200.png

1716852983477.png

Last edited:

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
wouldn't mind a pair of Fox Union BOA flatpedal But ~$250...no way 😩
I waited for almost a year before I could justify these Shimano clipless, water resistance, all-weather, MTB boot. $400 CDN …no way 😳😩

But I ripped the toe in the other similar pair. I loved those boots. But then the new boots went on sale. Harder toe, BOA laces, wider toe box, gortex…better water resistance etc.

$300 CDN on sale was a little easier pill to swallow. I guess I’ll ride with no-pants for the rest of the year. 🤷‍♂️

Nomad1

Apr 2, 2023
Big spend this week. New Shimano XT Di2 12 speed electronic transmission added. It gave me FREE SHIFT which means I don't need to pedal to change gears. I can coast and change gears, and the motor spools the chainwheel independent of the cranks. Or I can set Auto and let the motor choose the gear whilst I'm coasting, and manually shift as well.

Very nice. I can thoroughly recommend the upgrade.

View attachment 141161

View attachment 141168

View attachment 141160
The auto only works with the Shimano motor right? It won't interface with other motors and older Shimano motors will it? There just doesn't seem to be much out their about would like to here more about it.

Astro66

May 24, 2024
Sydney Australia
The auto only works with the Shimano motor right? It won't interface with other motors and older Shimano motors will it? There just doesn't seem to be much out their about would like to here more about it.
Yes. The AUTO SHIFT and FREE SHIFT only works with the Shimano EP801 and EP6 motors, and the 10 or 11 speed Linkglide transmission.

There is no 12 speed Linkglide cassette, so Shimano limit the 12 speed transmission to FREE SHIFT only, as AUTO SHIFT shifts under full load, whilst FREE SHIFT only shifts whilst coasting. And the 12 speed Hyperglide+ Cassette is not designed to shift under full load, whilst the 10 and 11 speed Linkglide Cassette is.

I wasn't prepared to forego my 12 speed transmission and go to 10 or 11 speed Linkglide Cassettes, as the hubs are different, and changing from a 12 speed Microspline Hub to a HG Hub, really meant I needed to change my rear wheel, which is super Exy $$$$.

Besides there are rumours that Shimano is releasing a 12 speed Linkglide Cassette after August. And will then enable AUTO SHIFT on the 12 speed derailleur. This is what I'm hoping for, but I still prefer my 12 speed transmission and FREE SHIFT, than going to 10 or 11 Speed and getting both FREE SHIFT and AUTO SHIFT.

Last edited:

Nomad1

Apr 2, 2023
Yes. The AUTO SHIFT and FREE SHIFT only works with the Shimano EP801 and EP6 motors, and the 10 or 11 speed Linkglide transmission.

There is no 12 speed Linkglide cassette, so Shimano limit the 12 speed transmission to FREE SHIFT only, as AUTO SHIFT shifts under full load, whilst FREE SHIFT only shifts whilst coasting. And the 12 speed Hyperglide+ Cassette is not designed to shift under full load, whilst the 10 and 11 speed Linkglide Cassette is.

I wasn't prepared to forego my 12 speed transmission and go to 10 or 11 speed Linkglide Cassettes, as the hubs are different, and changing from a 12 speed Microspline Hub to a HG Hub, really meant I needed to change my rear wheel, which is super Exy $$$$.

Besides there are rumours that Shimano is releasing a 12 speed Linkglide Cassette after August. And will then enable AUTO SHIFT on the 12 speed derailleur. This is what I'm hoping for, but I still prefer my 12 speed transmission and FREE SHIFT, than going to 10 or 11 Speed and getting both FREE SHIFT and AUTO SHIFT.
I think waiting a bit may be the best answer because there going to be taking a few more big steps in the not so distant future.

Astro66

May 24, 2024
Sydney Australia
I think waiting a bit may be the best answer
Literally the LBS where I bought the parts to upgrade, told me to wait. But I wanted to upgrade the transmission, before doing a Firmware Upgrade, to add a little more top end. And that's what I did. As soon as I added the new Electronic Derailleur, and got it all going. I knew I wouldn't need the LBS anymore, and I performed the Firmware Upgrade.

I didn't want to take the bike back to the LBS with a Firmware Upgrade, if I struggled with the transmission upgrade.

....... And I'm impatient ....... 😉

AlumiPro

May 1, 2023
California
Ratio cage for my XO transmission, and XX SL pulley set for it.
This cage design makes complete sense to me, as EVERY ride my cage makes contact with big jagged volcanic rocks and the lower part of the cage in front of the lower pulley gets snagged. This Ratio design places the arm in front of the lower pulley creating more of a skid plate and not a snag!
$100 cage delivered to US, plus $65 for the XX SL pulleys. Much cheaper than the Ceramic Speed or Cascade cages that don’t create a skid plate/non-snag! This should be much better for the tight single track I ride and costs the same as the SRAM replacement.
Should work for me until a long travel MGU hits the market and I can say good bye to derailleurs!

IMG_8532.jpeg IMG_8533.jpeg IMG_8534.jpeg

Arethustra

Subscriber
Apr 22, 2024
Bay Area, CA
Ratio cage for my XO transmission, and XX SL pulley set for it.
This cage design makes complete sense to me, as EVERY ride my cage makes contact with big jagged volcanic rocks and the lower part of the cage in front of the lower pulley gets snagged. This Ratio design places the arm in front of the lower pulley creating more of a skid plate and not a snag!
$100 cage delivered to US, plus $65 for the XX SL pulleys. Much cheaper than the Ceramic Speed or Cascade cages that don’t create a skid plate/non-snag! This should be much better for the tight single track I ride and costs the same as the SRAM replacement.
Should work for me until a long travel MGU hits the market and I can say good bye to derailleurs!

View attachment 141328 View attachment 141329 View attachment 141330

I have similar issues but went a different way to solve that issue...take a look at Branchy. I ran one on my XC bike and it worked like a charm - was one of the first things I stuck on the Crestline after I got it home as those new XO Transmissions are not cheap.

AlumiPro

May 1, 2023
California
I’ve seen the Branchy before (not in person), and noticed it on your Crestline when I was checking out your pics. I’m confident my terrain and aggressive riding will rip it off. I always keep a new spare cage and derailleur cover kit for quick swap outs as need be. I almost bought an extra swing arm from Troydon as a back up. But so far so good. The Ride Wrap is doing its job, and I just order and replace individual pieces as need be.
Keep us posted on how well the Branchy holds up.

AlumiPro

May 1, 2023
California
I also ordered these clear fork lower protectors to go over my fully Ride Wrapped ZEB back in March but have not received them and get no response from Gnar Tec. Guess I got ripped off.
Has anyone else purchased these?

IMG_8545.png

Arminius

Subscriber
Jul 26, 2022
Rhein-Ruhr Delta, Germany
I also ordered these clear fork lower protectors to go over my fully Ride Wrapped ZEB back in March but have not received them and get no response from Gnar Tec. Guess I got ripped off.
Has anyone else purchased these?

View attachment 141334
Thank you for the explanations on the cage that I found very helpful. Found that Gnartec have a Ebay-Shop with no good rating:
Gnartec-Ebay

AlumiPro

May 1, 2023
California
Drop the hammer on the Timber on DH runs and use the normal bell the rest of the time to notify the occasional hiker.
The Timber bell is great because it can be turned on/off and it notifies people in advance that you are descending fast. I’ve had many people get out of my way before I even see them and as I pass they are thanking me for the Timber bell.
It also does a great job to help drown out the annoying Bosch rattle.

IMG_8546.jpeg IMG_8547.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles