What bars do you run?

Hattori-Hanzo

Apr 10, 2023
UK
Following on from the what saddle and grips do you run (thanks for all the suggestions on that, went with wtb saddle and ergon grips in the end)
I'm interested in what bars every one is running. Do you like high rise, low, wide, narrow or anything in-between?

I'm currently running the carbon Newman bars that came with my cube 160. I like the feel of carbon but I'm finding them a touch narrow and low. I believe they are a 25mm rise but with an 8, 8 set back and pitch.

I ran some nukeproof bars on my old bike that were 800mm wide with a 38mm rise with a 5, 8 set back and pitch and they felt more comfortable but they are ally.

I like higher bars so was thinking of trying a 50mm rise but struggling to find anything. What are the negatives of going high rise?

So what kind of bike/riding do you do and what's your bar preference.

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Elite
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
Hi
Bike parks and that sort of thing mainly, like a lot i love the fast downhills and jumps
I run Diety 50mm rise bars cut to 760mm it works great for me but not for everyone
Also Burgtec do 50mm bars also
As for negatives personally its the best thing ive done especially on the downs .
(y)

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Deity 50mm rise on both bikes. I may be an exception given that I am 6ft tall but am fairly short in torso so it helps me with my bikes both with 480mm+ reach...............but more than that, my preferred ride is gravity and never understood why enduro bikes always have such low rise bars which makes keeping a head up trail view more difficult!!

Hattori-Hanzo

Apr 10, 2023
UK
Cheers for the input chaps. Think I'll try some 50mm rise bars. I prefer a higher bar, the 25mm are felling a bit low.
Wondering if a shorter stem would also help?

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Cheers for the input chaps. Think I'll try some 50mm rise bars. I prefer a higher bar, the 25mm are felling a bit low.

Bought a new stem at the same time as my Sqlab 3OX Carbon 12° (high) bars. After cutting the bars down to my sweet spot decided that didn't need the new stem.

Should have done one thing at a time.

Last edited:

Julie_X1

Jan 22, 2023
Canada
Another vote for trying one thing at a time, unless you already know you need/ want a new stem for whatever reason.

It would also help you to dial in the fit if needed after getting your new handlebar.

I did in the end get a new stem after a new handlebar because I realized I needed a bit longer reach. I took the opportunity to add a bit more height at the same time, through getting a stem with positive rise.

I’m probably around a 50mm rise, roughly, handlebar and stem heights combined. I do have to weigh the front more on climbs but I feel much better going down descents.

Evolution Stu

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jun 30, 2019
Blackpool. U.K.
Spank Spike Vibrocore 50mm for me.

IMG_3480.jpeg

Hattori-Hanzo

Apr 10, 2023
UK
I managed to pick up some spank spike 50mm rise, just the normal version not the vibrocore.

Liking them so far on the downs. They have made the front end a bit light on steep uphills and when pushing burms but I hope it's just a case of adjusting the weight balance and getting used to them.

Feb 27, 2023
Teesside UK
I found the reach on my large Orbea Wild a bit short when descending so just removed the 780mm 35mm riser bars and put some 31.8mm Enve DH bars on, 800mm wide with a 25mm rise

Levo Laland

Nov 27, 2019
Surrey UK
NukeprooF carbon Horizon V2 780mm 38mm rise, perfect fit and great price wise.

What bike are you riding and what is the stack height? 50m rise is a lot unless you are super tall or the bike has a super low stack height

Hattori-Hanzo

Apr 10, 2023
UK
I'm on a cube stereo hybrid 160.
Unsure of the stack height but I have no room to move the stem higher

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
One up Carbon ebar 35mm rise with Burgtec 42.5mm stem. I really like them my other bike has 30mm rise Joystick Analog bars.

d3ftone

May 29, 2019
Colorado
Been using an Ultimate USE Flow carbon 40mm rise bar for a few years now. Best combo of light (182 grams at 800mm) and cheap (<$80 on their website) from a reputable brand that I've come across.

Spin

Dec 24, 2021
Australia
I recently fitted PNW Range bars . 31.8 , 30mm rise , alloy , cut to 780 wide. Paired with a Funn equaliser stem , 35mm , 10 degree lift.
These replaced 20mm rise bars and a zero rise 30mm stem.
The bars have a great feel , slightly more backsweep and very nice compliance over high speed chatter , which I had heard from other riders too. Its a similar effect to riding a freshly serviced fork. Very happy with the upgrade and both items were well priced.

militantmandy

Jan 18, 2022
Tweed Valley, Scotland
I like the PNW bars too. Have also got on really well with the gen 1 horizon carbon bars on my Privateer. A higher rise bar is probably the only other thing I'd like to do with the new Whyte.

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Sqlab 3OX Carbon 12° high

Edit: 45mm Rise
Just fitted one of these last night after a lot of recommendations. It was absolutely throwing it down with rain, so I decided against a test ride! The 45mm rise doesn't seem as significant as I was expecting when I compare it with my old Enve bars which have a 23mm rise.

IMG_4867.jpg

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Hi @p3eps were you able to give the 3Ox a try? How's the 45mm rise? Not too high for steep climbs?
I've now done about 80 miles with them... and 2 of the rides were almost 3 hours. No numbness or wrist pain at all. I'm not convinced the 45mm rise is the same 45mm that you'd find from another manufacturer though! They don't 'look' much higher than my 23mm rise one - especially on the bike.

I was doing some 25% gradient climbs last weekend with them, and had no issues.

SQ are a brand I'd never heard of, or even considered... so I'm glad some forum members pointed me in their direction. After reading some reviews, everyone that used them basically said they wouldn't go back to normal bars... and I'm inclined to agree!

£199 well spent!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles