OneUp carbon bars review

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada

Oded

Jul 27, 2020
Israel
I was very skeptical about these, thinking that a difference of one PSI in the front tire, or a fork service will have more effect than switching from Alu to Carbon. Eventually bought the Oneup carbon ebars and I think I can feel the difference, but not sure I would pass a blind test. The do look very nice on the bike!

4 months update: I'm really blown away buy how much these make more impact than I expected (I'm a mechanical engineer). Ride quality is definitely better. Not a game changer, but a nice upgrade.
I strongly recommend

Last edited:

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Several years ago, on my 26er MTB, I swapped my Race Face Turbine alloy bars with Renthal Fatbar Lite carbon. My first ride was amazing! It felt like every single rock had had its corners rounded off just for me! The reduction in vibration from the trail was very noticeable. Three rides later, I didn't notice anything at all. I assumed the effect was still there, but it was now the new normal.
I am not denying the effect that carbon bars can have but I have never since felt the need to add carbon bars in search of that effect. Each bike I bought after I sold that 26er had larger diameter wheels, fatter tyres and/or better suspension and I never had vibration problems. All have had alloy bars.

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Several years ago, on my 26er MTB, I swapped my Race Face Turbine alloy bars with Renthal Fatbar Lite carbon. My first ride was amazing! It felt like every single rock had had its corners rounded off just for me! The reduction in vibration from the trail was very noticeable. Three rides later, I didn't notice anything at all. I assumed the effect was still there, but it was now the new normal.
I am not denying the effect that carbon bars can have but I have never since felt the need to add carbon bars in search of that effect. Each bike I bought after I sold that 26er had larger diameter wheels, fatter tyres and/or better suspension and I never had vibration problems. All have had alloy bars.
As you say, it simply became the new normal. If you tried carbon bars again you would probably rediscover that effect, but perhaps to a lesser degree.

I have SQlab 30X carbon bars on my Rail and there is definitely less vibration transmission through the bars than there was with identical SQlab 30X alloy bars.

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada

If your only experience with carbon bars are Renthal's I highly suggest you try some new ones from OneUp. The Renthal's are a very stiff carbon bar with not much flex so I don't really think there's much benefit to reducing vibration or hand fatigue with them.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
If your only experience with carbon bars are Renthal's I highly suggest you try some new ones from OneUp. The Renthal's are a very stiff carbon bar with not much flex so I don't really think there's much benefit to reducing vibration or hand fatigue with them.
It's good to know that the Renthal carbon bars are considered stiff, thanks for that.
But my experience with them was a good one. The reason I haven't tried carbon bars again was because I never felt the need, for the reasons I gave.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Shortly after I dialed in the suspension to where I liked it, I still wasn’t satisfied with the alloy bar feel. Seemed like every pebble was noticeable. I then switched to the Bontrager carbon bar. Barely any difference in feel.

I then threw on the OneUp carbon bar and cut it down to 780 mm. I liked it. Cut it down to 770mm. Perfect 👍🏻.

My relationship with every pebble on the trail is starting to wain. The feeling was noticeable to me and now I feel the suspension through my hands rather than the vibration I felt before.

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
It's good to know that the Renthal carbon bars are considered stiff, thanks for that.
But my experience with them was a good one. The reason I haven't tried carbon bars again was because I never felt the need, for the reasons I gave.
Fair enough, personally there's no way I could ride with carbon renthal's or any alloy bars for that matter. At least not for more than an hour. I would have way too much hand fatigue. Too many years of arm pump from riding motocross I guess....lol

Last edited:

2WHLFUN

Apr 27, 2022
Trinidad, CO
The moment I tested my new emtb with 35mm clamp, no name alloy bars and grip diameter for a child I knew I needed the One Up flex bar and super cushy Wolf Tooth Mega Fat Paw silicone grips!

The stock setup was completely unusable for my beat up wrists. No more issues with the new goods.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I’ve only been riding eMTB’s seriously for the past 4+ years. Thankfully I’ve made a few good decisions regarding upgrades, but I’ve made a few bad ones also.

There are three areas where my body touches the bike. Peddle, seat and grip. I’ve found that everyone has a different level of sensitivity to these three points of contact. I realize that suspension has a lot to due with the overall feel and that can usually be customized to suit my style of riding. But if the seat hurts, the peddle doesn’t feel good and the grip isn’t right, I start upgrading or trying something different.

The peddles were easy for me(I use magnetic). The seat(found a model). But the grip and bar was my nemesis. I eventually settled for the OneUp carbon bar, 45mm stem and Ergon Fat Grips. I adjusted the angles of my brake levers, shifter and dropper to a (hopefully) ergonomic position.

My hand cramps have disappeared …thank gawd. I don’t know what the magic bullet might be as everyone is different. It’s taken a bit of experimenting though. For example …I returned a seat only hours after I installed it. But my grips and bar type took longer.

Mrj35

Sep 29, 2023
canada
rise and backsweep will prob have more of an effect than alu/carbon. You just have to figure what is optimal for you.

Base

Jul 21, 2023
Toronto
Got the oneup carbon bars on my bike now as well. Definately lighter then the stock alum bars. I don't really notice the damping it does maybe cause my old bikes had carbon bars as well.

2stroked

Dec 15, 2022
Nanaimo
Yep, way better feeling than my Renthal aluminum bars.
I also read somewhere that going to push on grips help as well for the hands so I tried some and they seemed to help over lock ons as well

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles