What’s it with people walking and don’t move out the way in cycle lanes

simonwwfc

Jul 26, 2022
Bucks
Omg it’s mind blowing how thick some people are that when you ring your bell just turn a blind eye and don’t move , or even people walking towards you and think your in the wrong

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Omg it’s mind blowing how thick some people are that when you ring your bell just turn a blind eye and don’t move , or even people walking towards you and think your in the wrong

When approaching from behind and they don't move they often simply don't hear the bell.

Sometimes get shit from (particularly older) people when riding on Bridleways*, telling us we shouldn't be on them.

And people with dogs seem to think that you should love their dogs like they do.

Just slow down, relax, and humour the muppets. And breathe.

Ramblers said:
Cyclists have the right to use bridleways (subject to giving way to other users), cycle tracks, restricted byways and byways open to all traffic.

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
Slow down, relax, and humour the muppets. And breathe.

After a ride last weekend along a busy national cycle way near us that's also used by families and dog walkers, I felt like an ambassador for cyclists as we were constantly smiling, exchanging pleasantries and thanking the people who were oblivious to us, even after plenty of bell ringing, for moving out of the marked cycle way.

"Smile and wave boys, smile and wave"

Last edited:

Nicho

Captain Caption
Subscriber
Jan 4, 2020
Furness, South Cumbria.
In this area, particularly on a Sunday, it is quite common when riding along the narrow country roads, to whizz around a corner only to be faced with a complete family including small children, babies in prams and the family dog all strung out right across the full width of the carriageway.

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
It blows my mind that people think they can ring a bell at a complete stranger . To get them to move . Here in Australia cyclists are generally looked down on for being rude bell ringers
What's the Australian technique for getting other people to be aware of you?

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
It blows my mind that people think they can ring a bell at a complete stranger . To get them to move . Here in Australia cyclists are generally looked down on for being rude bell ringers

UK Highway Code.

www.gov.uk said:
Rule 66. be considerate of other road users, particularly blind and partially sighted pedestrians, and horse riders (see Rule H1). Let them know you are there when necessary, for example, by calling out or ringing your bell if you have one. It is recommended that a bell be fitted.

hth

CaptKirk

Feb 28, 2022
Port Huron, Michigan
As someone who has been riding 2 wheels for 60+ years I have been fortunate to be on both sides of this phenomena. Today as a rider on a trail who is approaching a pedestrian from behind the best approach is to ring your bell then announce "PASSIN LEFT" be prepared to slow down and swerve to avoid hitting them, And remember They may also
have a "CCW" , so that will start a whole other aurgument.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Here in the UK, I started off without a bell because it felt rude, but then people started yelling "get a bell!"

So, after calling out, coughing, using the rattle from the sexy rear hub, all without much success, I bought a bell. Only for people to jump like hell and get irritated.

The lesson I learned is that no matter what you do, some people just don't like anyone else on the trail. Excessive politeness and a white beard work, especially at this time of year! :)

But bells seem to upset more people than no bell.

Reactions: mak

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
But bells seem to upset more people than no bell.
My experience on my regular ride, which is a mixed use public park with natural surface trails, is that walkers either respond positively to my Timber bell ("Thanks for the bell!") or they don't react at all. When I started riding there a few years ago, I would call out "on your left" as I rode up behind them, but most people would move left. Now I just call out "bicycle", which works about 98% of the time. People move to the right (I'm in the US, so "keep right except to pass").

I also have a bushy white beard, which may defuse people who want to rant at a thoughtless teenager, but then see an old geezer.

My big complaint is that my town refuses to ticket people who park in bike lanes. I have contacted the local police and local town officials, but nothing gets done.

FotthillHS-Pickup2.jpg

Last edited:

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
The way they are walking away from you, so that when you suddenly do appear in their peripheral vision they get a fright and then of course thats all your fault.

TheRealPoMo

Apr 18, 2020
Queensland
Indeed, but I still get the occasional wally have a go at me for not ringing it - Usually the ones who are all over the path and not paying attention.
I figure if they can't hear the tyres and the hub ratcheting, they won't hear a bell.

Dannage

May 28, 2022
UK
Have you looked at bells that can ring all the time you're on busy singletrack to alert people to you coming before you get too close to make them jump?

I've tried both of these and both achieve the same objective but the timber is just a better finished product and easier to use.

May be worth a go

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Having a super loud Shimano cassette has its advantages.

Also, it's amazing to me that anyone could find a bell to be rude.
When I had a bell, I very soon learned to start ringing it 100 yards away. It was surprising how close I could get before I got a reaction. Too many times the reaction was startlement, accusing looks and accusations of going too fast, being a boy racer (me! I'm 71 and with a white beard), or even "you shouldn't be riding a bike here!" When the bell broke (don't buy the cheap Oi! bell, get the more expensive one), I didn't replace and I haven't missed it.

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
My experience on my regular ride, which is a mixed use public park with natural surface trails, is that walkers either respond positively to my Timber bell ("Thanks for the bell!") or they don't react at all. When I started riding there a few years ago, I would call out "on your left" as I rode up behind them, but most people would move left. Now I just call out "bicycle", which works about 98% of the time. People move to the right (I'm in the US, so "keep right except to pass").

I also have a bushy white beard, which may defuse people who want to rant at a thoughtless teenager, but then see an old geezer.

My big complaint is that my town refuses to ticket people who park in bike lanes. I have contacted the local police and local town officials, but nothing gets done.

View attachment 103791
This!
For years I have been using my own voice to warn people. I usually shout in the language of the country where I am "bike is coming" and slow down. It works 98% of the time, but there are always people who are annoyed by that too.
At least it works here in Europe, I haven't ridden in the UK, so I'm not sure if it works there too.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles