Went through water today, wet f**king feet again, p*issed off :(

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Agree, I currently use a 42 but the next pair will be 43(basically same type but with a larger toe-box)
IMG_7229.png
Still expensive though.

militantmandy

Jan 18, 2022
Tweed Valley, Scotland
I hope that I am stating the bleeding obvious to everyone, but if you are going to buy some Sealskinz socks, then you will need bigger boots. I use the medium thickness Sealskinz and I need an EU43 boot size instead of a EU41. That means that I have to use the Sealskinz all year round so that the boots fit.
Thankfully I can ride with or without them and my five tens still seem to fit fine.

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Shimano ?. Im pretty sure those are waterproof, well I know the boot is goretex, not the cuff, though that is neoprene, so will keep out splashes and such.
I suppose coupled with a calf length sealskinz, they would do the job.

Review on stw.
I had a pair of these merged with a 5:10 dotty sole. Unfortunately, they leak like a sieve. Spent over £200 on them and getting the sole changed… but haven’t worn them since I got the 5:10 trail cross GTX when they first came out.
The MT7’s spent most of their time on a boot drier!!

I’m 6ft 2” tall and wear them 5:10’s on really wet days with Gorewear Endure GTX trousers. They’re pretty long, and cut with articulated knees, so never ride up. I bought some panny bicycle clips (eBay for about £3) to hold the ankles in place… but I don't actually need them.

I got the 5:10’s big enough to fit the huge thick waterproof sealskins under… but most times I just wear a pair of hiking socks and they’re fine. The sealskins I have are pretty rigid, and maybe a bit overkill.

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
I’m 6ft 2” tall and wear them 5:10’s on really wet days with Gorewear Endure GTX trousers. They’re pretty long, and cut with articulated knees, so never ride up. I bought some panny bicycle clips (eBay for about £3) to hold the ankles in place… but I don't actually need them.
That was something I was going to ask, as im 6'3", and finding waterproof trousers that aren't halfway up your leg has always been a problem.
Seems most manufacturers dont increase leg length in tune with waist size.

But if you do find trousers with more length, they flap about and it feels like im wearing a wingsuit. Clips never work and tbh I hate the damn things.

Currently im in a cheapish pair of decathlon waterproofs, that are velcro fastened at the ankle and mid calf so you can pull them in tight enough not to catch the chain*

*Catching the chain is a nightmare for any bike, but Ebikes are the worst as theres no 'backpedal' possible.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
That was something I was going to ask, as im 6'3", and finding waterproof trousers that aren't halfway up your leg has always been a problem.

But if you do find trousers with more length, they flap about and it feels like im wearing a wingsuit. Clips never work and tbh I hate the damn things.

Currently im in a cheapish pair of decathlon waterproofs, that are velcro fastened at the ankle and mid calf so you can pull them in tight enough not to catch the chain*

*Catching the chain is a nightmare for any bike, but Ebikes are the worst as theres no 'backpedal' possible.
Madison do different leg lengths.........Flux and Zenith.

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland

I've said that before - that most "sportswear" manufacturers think leg length increases only with waist size.
If I want a pair of trackie bottoms, I'd need to order about a 40" waist to get the right leg length.
Being reasonably tall, and reasonably thin (32 waist / 34 leg in jeans) means getting trousers can be a right PITA.

I have a couple of pairs of Gore (Gorewear) trousers, and they fit me really well. I've tried Endura, TLD and Fox over the years, and they all show off my ankles!

On another note, I ended up ordering trackies from a company called Public Rec (the "all day every day pant") as they do multiple leg lengths. I have 4 pairs and have been wearing them for about 3 years now. Comfortable, nicely fitting, and a bit smarter than some of the sports brands. Quite expensive though.

w2ge

Dec 1, 2020
Voorhees, NJ
Giro Blaze

‘Everything's been done’ on YouTube just did a whole wet weather shoe riding shootout and I think every shoe mentioned above were in the ‘test’. Giro seemed like it was best, it’s like a shoe within a gaiter, all in one.

LJR69

Jan 4, 2022
UK
My mate wears Five Ten GTX's and never gets wet feet - sounds though like they haven't worked for you Rob.

I wear Ride Concepts Livewires - just to be clear...they afford naff all wet protection, but they don't half dry out quickly

emtbPhil

Jun 20, 2021
UK
A year or so back these were launched

And there was a sale on them

Best thing I've ever bought - went up to Pateley Bridge and road around Scar House reservoir earlier this week, absolutely hammered through some deep puddles - all up my feet and legs, regular socks were bone dry when I got back

They're also so waterproof I jet wash them clean with my worx jet wash when I get back to the van :ROFLMAO:

Richwales96

Apr 23, 2021
Wales
Gore-tex walking gaiters can be had for about £20 - these and trousers over the top have been great for me. I get a little water coming in but a massive improvement.
Link

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Overshoes are a cheap and effective way to make virtually any mtb shoes warm(er) and dry. The biggest problem is they are rarely sized correctly, seemingly based on foot size rather than the size needed to go over a pair of 5-10s. I think the current ones I have are Madison and cost £12!! Size XXL to fit over size 11 ( EU46) 5-10 EPS boots.

Also just bought 5-10 Freerider Pro Mid for £48 from Evans. Treated them with Nikwax before first use. They are not promoted as waterproof but first ride ( without overshoes) this week in pretty wet and muddy conditions they kept my feet perfectly dry, and pretty warm as well.....although at 9 degrees it was not that cold. ( ps I used waterproof spray rather than Nikwax on the ankle sock.) The Pros are are a bit less wide and bulky than the basic Freerider so I expect my overshoes to be an easier fit.

Cyclopath1000

Apr 26, 2019
Davis Ca
nw makes waterproof insulated gortex winter boots. they run a bit big. i usually wear 44 eu and if i was getting another pair i probably would size down. they are a bit clunky but the only way they are getting wet is if you step in water above the boot top. also use gaiters when it’s pouring to keep water rolling down into tops. my favorite rides are in rain because no one else is stupid enough to go out so it’s just me and the wildlife!!

darwink1

Dec 19, 2022
Ontario, Canada
Firstly, I know these look terrible but they seem to work very well.

I wear 510 impact pro high tops and water was getting in through the lace/tongue part of the shoe. It was the front tire flinging water that did it even though I run a mudhugger fender.

I cut a pair of flaps out of some black pond liner I had lying around and zip tied them over the laces/vents. The difference is pretty freaking dramatic. I've been riding in rain/snow the last month and have yet to come home with wet feet.

I wish 510 still made shoes like my old Kovaric impacts that had this feature.

Crappy pics but you get the idea.

20231209_125051.jpg
20231216_204935.jpg

D

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
The old Shimano AM41 had odd looks, but they were a brilliant design. The fold over flap retained the laces and stopped water splashes from penetrating. But apparently too many customer feedback surveys objected to the flap, so that was removed and now we get flappy laces and water penetration.

In the pic below I show an old shoe and a new version of the same shoe. The flap was prone to damage from pedal pins and brambles. This led to my first-aid fix of a piece of inner tube being glued on.

Shimano AM41 old & new.jpg

Note: The toe had to be hot-melt glued back on the sole after I snagged my foot on a rock. Yes, I did have an involuntary dismount!

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
I suppose if they keep the old tootsies dry thats well worth having, and £25 is cheap when it comes to bike stuff usually.

But is black the only option ?

images.jpg

Utah Rider

Jul 4, 2019
Utah
I have what I'd call an extreme winter setup. Wolfgar boots from 45nrth and Hotronic heated insoles. It looks like the price is coming down on the boots. I use some rain/wind pants with them. Feet never get wet. Bulky? Yes. Warm.....yes. I use pedal extenders on egg beaters. For dry hands I use Rockbros poggies. The boots and pogies have removable liners. The pogies have zippered pockets which is nice to store emergency stuff like chemical hand warmers and neoprene face mask. I've tested them to -20C/-5F

20231217_121945.jpg 20231217_122021.jpg 20231217_122506.jpg 20231217_122531.jpg

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I am gobsmacked by some of the temperatures some of you guys ride in!! If it was -20c outside I would stay in bed!!

Its pretty mild here at the moment for the time of year, ( South Coast UK), but quite windy and the wind chill is noticeable. The main problem here is that we previously had a period of 3/4 degrees C ( warm I hear some of you say!!) which was too cold for me, and that was followed by heavy rain for days resulting in saturated ground and a lot of flooding around. Forests floors are not bad now but last time we tried a cross country ride we were blocked by floods a couple of times and had to find different routes.

Utah Rider

Jul 4, 2019
Utah
@Utah Rider You must be serious about your riding!
Surely you don't ride alone in -20degC? One off and you could die. :eek:
Just me and fresh mountain lion tracks....... anyway, where I live it is common to get above freezing during the day which in turn causes the thaw. You don't want any part of the thaw so I got the best light I could find and ride before the sun comes up. The bike light changed my life. Cheers. I also found out what that pocket on the bottom of the Levo motor is for.

20231202_060531.jpg 20231202_060536.jpg 20231121_093756.jpg 20231031_163429.jpg View attachment 20230919_180520.jpg

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Ref the temperature.

I went into a cold store on business and had a tour. It was a cheery -18degC. I was kitted out with a super thick coat, furry hat with long bits down the side and thick gloves. If I stood in one place for too long, the cold would strike through my wimpy thin-soled shoes. But it didn't matter how fast I walked, my testicles shrank out of sight. If I stood still, the hairs on my legs that were standing to attention stopped the trouser material from touching my legs and the air between warmed up a little. But once I had to move on (freezing feet, or the tour) the trouser material (now at -18degC) contacted my legs and it felt like being branded.

I had a new respect for all those doing an 8-hour shift in there. I chatted to a few of the guys and they told me that working there had two benefits (apart from the enhanced pay). The first was that they never got ill. The second was that any hangover disappeared without trace in less than half an hour.

I had to take off my metal-framed specs and put them in my pocket because they were conducting heat from the bridge of my nose and were becoming painful. When I got back outside into the relatively warm January weather (just above freezing), my specs promptly fogged up! :)

The thought of riding a bike in that temperature was unthinkable. I got this wind chill chart: It says that -20degC will feel like -45degC at 15mph. Yikes! :eek:

Wind_chill.png

PS: They had a blast chiller in there. It was designed to blast a high volume of air in at a speed I can't now recall. The static air temperature was -60degC. I asked how long I would last if trapped in there when the chiller was activated. I was told that I would be frozen solid in less than 30 seconds! And no, I would not wake up refreshed when thawed out!

Last edited:

Utah Rider

Jul 4, 2019
Utah
That chart is in Fahrenheit but I get your point. I use a snow board/ski helmet. I have uphill face gear and DH face gear depending on temp. It sounds overkill but it's the windchill like you said. I keep goggles and a neoprene facemask for DH emergencies. Sometimes it can be 9 miles dh back to the car at high speed. Sometimes you have a mechanical or tire going flat and you need to take the asphalt back down. Better to be prepared.

View attachment 20230319_073822.jpg

darwink1

Dec 19, 2022
Ontario, Canada
Ref the temperature.

I went into a cold store on business and had a tour. It was a cheery -18degC. I was kitted out with a super thick coat, furry hat with long bits down the side and thick gloves. If I stood in one place for too long, the cold would strike through my wimpy thin-soled shoes. But it didn't matter how fast I walked, my testicles shrank out of sight. If I stood still, the hairs on my legs that were standing to attention stopped the trouser material from touching my legs and the air between warmed up a little. But once I had to move on (freezing feet, or the tour) the trouser material (now at -18degC) contacted my legs and it felt like being branded.

I had a new respect for all those doing an 8-hour shift in there. I chatted to a few of the guys and they told me that working there had two benefits (apart from the enhanced pay). The first was that they never got ill. The second was that any hangover disappeared without trace in less than half an hour.

I had to take off my metal-framed specs and put them in my pocket because they were conducting heat from the bridge of my nose and were becoming painful. When I got back outside into the relatively warm January weather (just above freezing), my specs promptly fogged up! :)

The thought of riding a bike in that temperature was unthinkable. I got this wind chill chart: It says that -20degC will feel like -45degC at 15mph. Yikes! :eek:

View attachment 130898

PS: They had a blast chiller in there. It was designed to blast a high volume of air in at a speed I can't now recall. The static air temperature was -60degC. I asked how long I would last if trapped in there when the chiller was activated. I was told that I would be frozen solid in less than 30 seconds! And no, I would not wake up refreshed when thawed out!
Welcome to my winter world up here in northern Ontario Canada lol. I draw the line at about -25 unless it's sunny..

20230325_140835.jpg
20230325_135932.jpg
20230307_141857.jpg

D

Gavalar

Feb 4, 2019
UK
Trailcross EPS Mid. Water came in around the tongue. Both feet. Not amused.

Got some Salomon walking boots which are absolutely waterproof but they're heavy as f**k.

Is there anything genuinely waterproof? At what price?
Shimano XM9

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles