Cold feet

Andy.M

Nov 25, 2020
Rochester UK
What shoes/boots are you guys using for those freezing winter rides?

I realise a shoe/boot made for the job should be the best but don't want to spend big bucks.

Any budget brands or non cycling specific suitable for flat pedals?

Landy Andy

Feb 8, 2021
Herts
Went out Thursday when it was bloody freezing, literally, here. Was in my normal 5tens, but with a dog poo bag on each socked foot before putting into the shoe ????. So am interested in the more “conventional“ replies.

pampmyride

Dec 28, 2020
Sussex Massif
Two rides & five walks on my new Columbia Fairbanks Omni-Heat Boots & they do the job. Waterproof too, almost too hot walking of tarmac paths, but ace in snow & for riding the slop. Recommended to me from another MTB forum.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
It's important not to restrict blood flow to the extremities so just jamming extra socks into your boots may be counter productive. The best results I've had so far using stuff I already own is Merrell Gore-Tex walking boots with Under Armour sports ankle sock and Heat Holders 2.3tog mid length socks. Next step is heated socks...

Sox

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I bought larger bike shoes and wear Sealskinz mid length socks. I also wear a thin short sock underneath the Sealskinz. I have never suffered from cold or wet feet. But then I live in the UK, not the icy wastes of Scotland or worse.

EebStrider

Apr 18, 2020
Surrey, UK
I wear Sealskinz socks with my Five Tens, and use Grip Grab shoe covers. Not only are my feet toasty warm, but my shoes stay clean too.

Funky Bolly

Nov 10, 2018
Newport wales
Hi , hope this helps I ride with 5 10s DLX yeah I’ve had cold feet lately so after a garage clear out I found my old gortex army boot liners Theyre the long type but there’s a shorter type (seen on eBay over weekend )well they certainly kept my feet warm and are very light n comfy .

CC80AD10-D33B-49E2-9933-2E7E489ADA65.jpeg

wildsau2

Jul 6, 2018
Germany, Karlsruhe
i am ridin 8+ hours on my long bikedays for about 10 years or so. i’ve riding 200km gran fondos in january in the past.
so, i prefer merino underwaer esp. socks in winter riding.
for ridings more than 2 or 3 hours i use “hotsoles“ (dont know the word in english, its iron and oxygen, gives 35 degrees celsius for 10 hours)

EebStrider

Apr 18, 2020
Surrey, UK
Hi , hope this helps I ride with 5 10s DLX yeah I’ve had cold feet lately so after a garage clear out I found my old gortex army boot liners Theyre the long type but there’s a shorter type (seen on eBay over weekend )well they certainly kept my feet warm and are very light n comfy .

View attachment 53194

Those would last about half an hour with a decent set of MTB pedals!

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
There was a bloke up Cwmcarn a few weeks back with heated socks off Amazon ,the battery packs on side look a bit painfull if you fell off mind .
I posted a link to some earlier in the thread. If it gets cold again I'll be getting some.

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
I bought larger bike shoes and wear Sealskinz mid length socks. I also wear a thin short sock underneath the Sealskinz. I have never suffered from cold or wet feet. But then I live in the UK, not the icy wastes of Scotland or worse.
I use Sealskins with some thinner Merino sox under them.
Buton Saturday I was out for 4 hours in -7 Celcius temperatures . (I looked it up for you Primatives = 19F). My toes still FROZE!
My Sealskins heated gloves kept my fingers from freezing though.

Mr President

Sep 20, 2020
monmouth,wales
these days I swap pedals for cold rides and wear shimano mw goretex. had them decades and they are great. However, if you really want to stick to flats I can propose a trick i picked up from Mr Steve Jones back in the day. Wellies. they are ace and grippy on flats. You can wear loads of socks with them. My son had is pic in an MBUK article wearing them in a race at Hopton.

Alain78

Nov 2, 2020
France
I use heated insoles, with the battery held at the ankle in a small pocket with Velcro.
I removed the original soles and replaced with the heated soles.
It's perfect

Yoak

Apr 5, 2020
Norway
I ride my Scarpa hiking boots. I leave them with the dryer inside before I go out so they are nice and warm. I’ve used them for the last 4 weeks and I kept warm for 2-3 hour rides in -13C
45nrth is popular around here, but just to damn expensive for the rather short season

GeekEcosse

Oct 24, 2018
Edinburgh
Sorel 1964 Canvas with some long johns and marmot trousers. Paired with vault pedals.

Bone dry and very warm. Garmin was showing -4 and then a still breeze.

Worn in deep snow, mud and general heavy weather.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles