We all know the importance of wearing a helmet

Monkey Dog

Jun 4, 2020
Derbyshire
On my way home from work yesterday evening, I went over the handle bars & did a head plant. New helmet should arrive from JE James early next week. I firmly believe that it would've been very much worse without it. I was in a remote ish area in the dark. It could've been the next morning when I would've been found.

20220107_175837.jpg

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
On my way home from work yesterday evening, I went over the handle bars & did a head plant. New helmet should arrive from JE James early next week. I firmly believe that it would've been very much worse without it. I was in a remote ish area in the dark. It could've been the next morning when I would've been found.

View attachment 79521
I’m glad, or I hope you’re ok.
I guess we have to think about tracking via gps when we ride alone or in the dark.

apac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
I recently had an OTB down a 4 foot drop when my front Tyre washed out on a wet root. I was on my own on a mountain in the dark. Not a nice experience. I head-planted too. cracked my helmet. Bit my lip as I landed on my head as my chin hit my chest. It all resulted in whiplash and a broken finger. The noise I made when hitting my head must have been heard in the whole valley. I haven't been night riding since.

Last edited:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Apart from one helmet that I sold because it was a poor fit (I now always assume a riding position to test the helmet) and one that delaminated through multiple impacts with tree branches, I have broken every single helmet I have ever owned (apart from the two I have now of course). The damage has always been the foam core broken clean through, sometimes without apparent damage to the shell, but mostly the shell has also been cracked through, gouged or dented. Whenever I see the damage to the helmet, I am always thankful that I had the foresight to wear a helmet.

I was at the Bikepark section of a trail centre one day, mid-week in school holiday time and came across a bunch of lads in the 14-15 year age group. All were without helmets and were egging each other on to do some descents. I asked the obvious ring leader why he wasn't wearing a helmet, to be told in a very assertive manner "I'm not scared of dying!". I replied that if he has a bad fall he might not actually die, but he might end up having to have his Mum wipe his bum for the rest of her life and then by a stranger for the rest of his life. I'd be scared of that!

They all went quiet, and then one of his mates pulled a helmet out of his backpack and put it on! (Result!) :)

I accept that some lads cannot afford a helmet or believe that it is an expense they cannot justify, or it will mess with their hair, whatever.... But there has to be a way to get helmet wearing seen as essential and not optional. I did not give my grandkids an option, they either wore the helmet or they didn't ride the bikes I had bought them. Now they are both mid-teens, neither of them gives it a second thought. My granddaughter is not a natural rider and she knows that she will fall off and need a helmet. My grandson is a very good rider but he has fallen off frequently enough to appreciate the value of a helmet first hand. As a result, when he goes out riding locally with his mates, despite the ribbing, he wears his helmet. He has the confidence, based upon experience, to know for certain that he is doing the right thing. They no longer rib him and most now wear helmets too. (Result!) :)

Monkey Dog

Jun 4, 2020
Derbyshire
I recently had an OTB down a 4 foot drop when my front Tyre washed out on a wet root. I was on my own on a mountain in the dark. Not a nice experience. I head-planted too. cracked my helmet. Bit my lip as I landed on my head as my chin hit my chest. It all resulted in whiplash and a broken finger. The noise I made when hitting my head must have been heard in the whole valley. I haven't been night riding since.
It kinda puts it into perspective 👍

Hobo Mikey

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
May 22, 2020
Where ever
Is that how you ended up looking like you do in your avatar. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

apac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
I'm getting sick of thumping my head on the ground. Did it again this morning. My rear brake failed and I lost control. Had to limp the rest of the way around the trail with just front brake, not much fun. Just got home to find it weeping from the calliper bleed screw. No doubt it's got on the disc and pads. 😤

Hobo Mikey

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
May 22, 2020
Where ever

View attachment 79521
That is so unlucky, to come off your bike and land in dog shite. :ROFLMAO:

Howz

Oct 12, 2019
Chester
One of my best friends around 7 years ago (53 years old at the time) was in a quarry walking his dog with his son and a few lads were messing about on bmx bikes, mark asked if he could have a go over a small jump.
Mark fell off first go, no helmet, cracked his head open………spent a month in hospital and nearly died, had to have multiple operations over the next 12 months, now has a large titanium plate fitted and on tablets for the rest of his life, lost his job………and is a totally different personality to what he once was due to brain damage…….

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I see the occasional clown riding around our community without a helmet. They’re either have invincibility beyond or don’t care. Only once have seen a rider on our mountain without a helmet. He was riding with his children and had forgot his helmet back at the car. I offered to ride down and get it for him (eMTB quickness) but he said “f**k it”. His children followed him down the trail. 🤦🏼

I posted this before but if wasn’t for a good helmet I’d probably be dead…or worse, being spoon-fed and in diapers. My helmets have saved me a number of times but one time it probably saved my life. My helmet was destroyed, broken collar bone, broken ribs and dislocated shoulder. When I came to (I was alone) a mtb’er found me. This was his first time on this mountain and he was lost too. He pulled me out of the creek, put my arm in a sling with a rubber tube he had and used my phone to start calling anyone who knew me.
My neighbour’s helped me down to the waiting ambulance. My wife met me at the ambulance and removed my dark sunglasses …since it was dark outside by that time. She was not happy. It took about 3-5 day to feel kinda normal again. I probably added more brain damage than I already have but who knows.
Bell and the LBS replaced my helmet …for free!😁

Goodmango13

Jan 25, 2020
NY
Apart from one helmet that I sold because it was a poor fit (I now always assume a riding position to test the helmet) and one that delaminated through multiple impacts with tree branches, I have broken every single helmet I have ever owned (apart from the two I have now of course). The damage has always been the foam core broken clean through, sometimes without apparent damage to the shell, but mostly the shell has also been cracked through, gouged or dented. Whenever I see the damage to the helmet, I am always thankful that I had the foresight to wear a helmet.

I was at the Bikepark section of a trail centre one day, mid-week in school holiday time and came across a bunch of lads in the 14-15 year age group. All were without helmets and were egging each other on to do some descents. I asked the obvious ring leader why he wasn't wearing a helmet, to be told in a very assertive manner "I'm not scared of dying!". I replied that if he has a bad fall he might not actually die, but he might end up having to have his Mum wipe his bum for the rest of her life and then by a stranger for the rest of his life. I'd be scared of that!

They all went quiet, and then one of his mates pulled a helmet out of his backpack and put it on! (Result!) :)

I accept that some lads cannot afford a helmet or believe that it is an expense they cannot justify, or it will mess with their hair, whatever.... But there has to be a way to get helmet wearing seen as essential and not optional. I did not give my grandkids an option, they either wore the helmet or they didn't ride the bikes I had bought them. Now they are both mid-teens, neither of them gives it a second thought. My granddaughter is not a natural rider and she knows that she will fall off and need a helmet. My grandson is a very good rider but he has fallen off frequently enough to appreciate the value of a helmet first hand. As a result, when he goes out riding locally with his mates, despite the ribbing, he wears his helmet. He has the confidence, based upon experience, to know for certain that he is doing the right thing. They no longer rib him and most now wear helmets too. (Result!) :)
Good on you that you suggested the helmet!!!

Jdub

Jan 10, 2022
Valencia, Spain
Do most of you ride with open face or full-face helmets? I'm thinking of switching to full-face. My local trails here in Spain are nothing but rocks, rocks and bigger rocks. Also, sometimes my ear gets blocked up from the wind on long rides (old injury) so the side protection has other benefits in my case.

BeBiker

Aug 26, 2020
Belgium
I ride a (detachable) full face for normal Mtb tours.
Only disadvantage is drinking from a bottle while riding.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
No. Mate. I'm just capable of thinking for myself and making my own decisions.

Running around the Internet calling folk names for choosing not to wear a polystyrene hat every time they partake in a relatively safe activity isn't helping anyone.

I ride bikes pretty much every day but would more or less give it up if helmets were ever to become compulsory here
Mandatory helmet laws greatly REDUCE cycling participation and cycle use.
LESS exercise from cycling causes far more deaths than lives saved from cycle helmets

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles