Always wear a helmet guys

Rockrider est100

Jul 1, 2020
Bangor
I misjudged my wide bars and clipped and lamppost the rest was history
Iv now got a helmet and would like recommendations on good cameras similar to go pros

IMG-20200716-WA0002.jpeg

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Shit... looks like it scalped you too ;)

Get well soon

GoPro Hero 7 Black is on offer at £100 off and a free 32GB SD card from Gopro right now
(£279 all in)

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
A guy I went to school with ended up with brain damage after hitting a tree when I was a teenager (this was the 90s), he wasn’t wearing a helmet. That shocked me into always wearing one.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I was out at my local trail centre a few years ago and came upon four young lads (13-14 ish). None had helmets, despite being in the downhill bike park. I politely asked why they were not wearing helmets. Their ringleader said that he wasn't scared of dying. I replied that there were worse things than dying. "Like what!?" he replied. I said "how about having to have your nappy changed by your Mum for as long as she lives, and then a succession of strangers for as long as you live?" That shut him up!

Then one of the other lads took his helmet out of his bag and put it on! :cool:
Peer pressure can be powerful, but sometimes a good argument can be persuasive.

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
I was out at my local trail centre a few years ago and came upon four young lads (13-14 ish). None had helmets, despite being in the downhill bike park. I politely asked why they were not wearing helmets. Their ringleader said that he wasn't scared of dying. I replied that there were worse things than dying. "Like what!?" he replied. I said "how about having to have your nappy changed by your Mum for as long as she lives, and then a succession of strangers for as long as you live?" That shut him up!

Then one of the other lads took his helmet out of his bag and put it on! :cool:
Peer pressure can be powerful, but sometimes a good argument can be persuasive.

?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I have been riding mtb with my grandson since he was 2 years old (he's almost 13 now). He has always worn a helmet and he never thinks about not wearing one. He has come off his bike many times and sometimes hit his head hard enough for it to hurt, despite the helmet, so he KNOWS they are good. He rides out and about with his mates and I have discussed peer pressure with him. He assures me that although he used to be the only one wearing a helmet (and it never bothered him), several of his regular riding buddies are now wearing one. He told me that the main reason they gave for not wearing one was that they (or their parents) couldn't afford one. :(

Swissrider

Nov 1, 2018
Switzerland
Not just helmets. Came off the other day and hit my head pretty hard, but also my knee, forearm and shoulder. All were protected by armour except for small cut above ankle. No real damage apart from weird pain in shoulder blade which keeps me awake at night. First big off this year, and not the most difficult part of the trail, and one I know well. Thing is, you never know when it’s going to happen. I caught the chainring on the edge of a low wall, mucking around in a car park a few years ago - over 50 stitches in my face!

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Not just helmets. Came off the other day and hit my head pretty hard, but also my knee, forearm and shoulder. All were protected by armour except for small cut above ankle. No real damage apart from weird pain in shoulder blade which keeps me awake at night. ...............

Get that checked out by a physio. Ligaments and tendons can get trapped in a fall when parts of your body get compressed violently. The ligament/tendon then swells up and no longer moves smoothly through the gap like it used to. Friction stops it healing and the pain continues. The longer you leave it, the harder it is for the physio to fix it.

Armour reduces penetrating injuries, scrapes, bruising and so forth. It does not make you invulnerable to damage.

AWB

Jul 9, 2020
Germany
What happened there? ?

A friend of mine went downhill fast on his road bike, looked back for his pal and scratched along a curb. Went backwards off the bike, twisted his saddle, smashed his helmet and walked away with a couple of scratches and bruises. No after effects outside a headache. Lucky bugger.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles