Waterproof jacket

Hobo Mikey

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
May 22, 2020
Where ever
Any recommendations on these two please. Do you have either one.
Fox Defend 3 layer waterproof jacket
Endura MT500 waterproof jacket.11 two

Last edited:

beanzz

Feb 7, 2023
United Kingdom
I personally have a Patagonia waterproof and a (the brand with cactus logo) lined softshell. I find varying combos of these two to be perfect for everything

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
I've 2× Mt500 jackets ..the original is over 10 years old and still going strong albeit needing re-proofed from time to time..
The second is only 2.5 years old ( I bought it when collecting my ebike ) ..it needs a new zip and has been out of action for about 6 months ..just haven't got around to getting it fixed ..its disappointing that the zip " went " in such a relatively short period of time ..
I've also a very lightweight Sprayway Gortex ..well over 20 years old and still good ..although a little snug now ..😊

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
No experience of either........mine is a Nukeproof hardshell which I have been very pleased with because it adds no weight and is packable. It has no thermal quality but add surprisingly to warmth on the bike because it provides a total wind block. Overall it means I wear what need for warmth and protection and if it is wet I can chose to put it on without worrying a bout whether it will make me get too hot.
So worth considering whether you want an optional wet weather layer, or a waterproof jacket with insulation.

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
Endura MT500 is the best waterproof jacket I’ve used, ok I know it’s only 3 years old but in that time I’ve only had to reproof it once, it’s comfortable and has so many vents when things get tropical 😁

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
I use a lightweight packable waterproof overshell which I carry in a back pack, put it on when it chucks it down and take it off when it stops. Same with trousers. May not look pretty but I'm too old to care.
Yeah ..we all do that ! what you've written is bloody obvious ..what the O.P. was after was a recommendation between two particular branded products ..do you use either ?
Failing that can you point him in the direction of a brand that works well for you ..not all jackets & trousers are the same ...in case you were unaware ...

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Yeah ..we all do that ! what you've written is bloody obvious ..what the O.P. was after was a recommendation between two particular branded products ..do you use either ?
Failing that can you point him in the direction of a brand that works well for you ..not all jackets & trousers are the same ...in case you were unaware ...
No need to get arsey about my reply!
rolleyes3.gif

As it happens I do have branded waterproof products but would not recommend any of them because you sweat really heavily in them because they are 100% waterproof.

Hence I am unable to point the OP in the direction of any of them. In other words, IMO you're better off using protection as outlined in my post.

Sorry you're having a bad hair day, bless.

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
I think you need to look at your initial reply first as to who was being arsey mate 😉..
We're not exactly new to the sport and are well aware when we need to actually use a waterproof ..your answer to the original question was totally crap and added nothing to what was being asked ..
Just saying sweetheart😚

Oct 25, 2022
Scottish borders
In my time I've had many from cheap sweat bags to expensive sweat bags. Always end up as wet inside as outside. Goretex is designed for specific things and is great within its design parameters in my experience MTB is not in those parameters. Saying that it's better than some kit.
I am currently using Aussie grit waterproof jackets but they went out of business. Next would be a gore jacket, shell no insulation. Then endura, it's last only because all my endura jackets have zip issues. They always seem to catch
But as above definitely a shell that is wind/water resistant which can easily be removed and accept that your either wet from the outside or warm and wet from the inside.

The EMF

🔱 Aquaman 🔱
Subscriber
Nov 4, 2020
South East Northumberland
Hi Mike,
In the many years I’ve been on the trails I’ve had both Fox and Endura Mtb specific clothing. the Fox 3l range of clothing is excellent but as with all things related to a recreational persuit there is a premium to pay for quality as you know.
For what it’s worth I’ve migrated to the Nukeproof brand in particular the Blackline range, great value and excellent quality. I don’t think there is a lot to choose from that is a definite “ go to “ reason to buy
Good luck

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland

I've had one of these for a few years now, and it seems pretty bulletproof.
Water runs off it, and it's light enough to pack into the smallest of bags. Expensive, but quality.

I know it's neither that you've asked about... but it's a great jacket!!

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK

I've had one of these for a few years now, and it seems pretty bulletproof.
Water runs off it, and it's light enough to pack into the smallest of bags. Expensive, but quality.

I know it's neither that you've asked about... but it's a great jacket!!
That's not what the OP asked about, so waiting for @The Hodge to jump all over you which at over 135kg might not be an entirely enjoyable experience. ;)

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
That's not what the OP asked about, so waiting for @The Hodge to jump all over you which at over 135kg might not be an entirely enjoyable experience. ;)
As we've never met ..( thankfully ) ..where you got any idea at all as to my weight I've really no idea ..perhaps you were thinking of yourself ?
You were nearly there though with your numbers ..13.5 st..
As to jumping all over him he gave a great recommendation for a jacket that worked for him ..which I gave a " like " to on his post ..and would refer you to this line in my reply to you
"Failing that can you point him in the direction of a brand that works well for you .."
Instead you chose to give a condescending reply ( not for the first time on posts you've answered)..stating the obvious as to what we should do when it rains ..gee thanks Sherlock 😁

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
As we've never met ..( thankfully ) ..where you got any idea at all as to my weight I've really no idea ..perhaps you were thinking of yourself ?
You were nearly there though with your numbers ..13.5 st..
I confused you with scotty1959, my mistake. Apologies.
As to jumping all over him he gave a great recommendation for a jacket that worked for him ..which I gave a " like " to on his post ..and would refer you to this line in my reply to you
"Failing that can you point him in the direction of a brand that works well for you .."
Instead you chose to give a condescending reply ( not for the first time on posts you've answered)..stating the obvious as to what we should do when it rains ..gee thanks Sherlock 😁
Thanks for your condescending reply.

Out.

Marjoriefinnegan

Jun 12, 2021
Uk
No opinion on op's jackets, so please don't shout at me, but can recommend Columbia outdry jackets.
The waterproof membrane is on the outside of the jacket so looks like a plastic bag, but doesn't wet out like jackets when the lovely new dwr wears out. Also has pitzips for venting duties. Been hard wearing so far - 3 winters I think. Breathes about as well as any other goretex membraned jacket I've tried.
Not too baggy and long sleeved.
Can usually be had for less than rrp if you shop around.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I’ve been using these together this season.
AE8004A9-0CD2-43EC-AC61-FF444D7BF348.jpeg

The Fox is a puffy jacket and I can easily wear it under the Endura. Both are very dirty right now but I only use them for riding. I really like the Endura because it has a hood that fits over my helmet and the vent zippers are used often.

If I ever get caught in a downpour without these, I simply return home, undress and drop everything at the doorstep. Within a day they magically appear dryed and folded. (Any suggestions on how this happens would help)🤔

I’m no rain expert though …but I should be. Lol

Hobo Mikey

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
May 22, 2020
Where ever
Thanks for the reply’s guys, I think I will see what the LBS has in size wise etc and decide that way. The fox or Endura both seem to be good jackets. (y)

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
I've 2× Mt500 jackets ..the original is over 10 years old and still going strong albeit needing re-proofed from time to time..
The second is only 2.5 years old ( I bought it when collecting my ebike ) ..it needs a new zip and has been out of action for about 6 months ..just haven't got around to getting it fixed ..its disappointing that the zip " went " in such a relatively short period of time ..
I've also a very lightweight Sprayway Gortex ..well over 20 years old and still good ..although a little snug now ..😊
Try lsr (Lancashire sports repairs) for the zip lad, they did a cracking repair on my Klim jacket

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
Yeah mate that's where it will be going ..I've used them before for rips / tears on Jackets and they've re-soled some boots ..
I've just been a bit of a lazy git in terms of sending it off 😊

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles