Wasting my time with £2500?

rudibryson

May 4, 2019
lancashire
Hi guys, I was thinking of buying a emtb with a bike to work scheme. We are allowed 2500 pounds. I am in the UK. Would I be wasting my time at this price range? If not could any one recommend a couple of bikes to have a look at.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I would be looking to purchase in the coming week.

Thanks

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
it's reduced right now so if you have platinum discount it'll be just under £2400
It's a ridiculously good bike for £4k nevermind that price

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
the bike I mentioned

from the shop I mentioned

if only there was some way of searching the internet for the it?

:unsure:

rudibryson

May 4, 2019
lancashire
Try looking on Chain Reaction Cycles.

I have but can't find it ?

Screenshot 2019-05-07 at 21.13.28.png

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Err, it's the one on the right...

CRC and Wiggles prices are up and down like a whore's drawers. You have to be quick to catch the offers.

rudibryson

May 4, 2019
lancashire
Err, it's the one on the right...

CRC and Wiggles prices are up and down like a whore's drawers. You have to be quick to catch the offers.

Err, obviously you didn't read my post. I said I couldn't find it for less than 2k, so was asking where jowwy had seen it for that price, I shall wait his answer, thanks

rudibryson

May 4, 2019
lancashire
I think with being 19 stone the hard tail will be the best option. I never realised weight would be a factor in the full suspension. Thanks

Russell

Dec 16, 2018
Iow
The rear shocks are set up for skinnies only. My one is running maximum pressure for correct sag with my 15stone on it. You probably could get a custom setup but that will be more money.

Snoozeboy

Feb 20, 2019
Lausanne
I think you could get a decent bike at that price point, depending on the type of riding you're doing.

Arguably the most important part of an e-bike is the motor. You can get a decent mid drive motor at your price point.

The expensive e-bikes have better shocks and better components. Better shocks and more travel only really matter if you're doing more aggressive riding, IMO. As for better components, I've found that mid-range components are better for the budget as you're going to be replacing drive trains much more often than non e-power. E-biles shred drivetrains, especially if you're a big bloke.

Also with clockwork bikes, people would spend 1000s to save extra grammes. The weight of the bike is less relevant with an e-bike, so although you have to buy the motor etc., you don't have to splash out on carbon frames etc.

I recently bought a 2018 (last year model) Cube Stereo Hybrid 140 Pro for GBP2500 and I'm very happy with it. I'm 16 stones and I'd like a bit more travel in the rear, but at 50 years old and self-employed, I'm too concerned about injury to bother with jumps or drop offs, so it suits me fine.

At 19 stones, I agree with what others said about hard tails. Buy the bike. You won't be 19 stones for long or you'll be a much fitter 19 stones. My emtb seems to have changed my life. I use it all the time for commutes into town and for single track recreation rides.

rudibryson

May 4, 2019
lancashire
I think you could get a decent bike at that price point, depending on the type of riding you're doing.

Arguably the most important part of an e-bike is the motor. You can get a decent mid drive motor at your price point.

The expensive e-bikes have better shocks and better components. Better shocks and more travel only really matter if you're doing more aggressive riding, IMO. As for better components, I've found that mid-range components are better for the budget as you're going to be replacing drive trains much more often than non e-power. E-biles shred drivetrains, especially if you're a big bloke.

Also with clockwork bikes, people would spend 1000s to save extra grammes. The weight of the bike is less relevant with an e-bike, so although you have to buy the motor etc., you don't have to splash out on carbon frames etc.

I recently bought a 2018 (last year model) Cube Stereo Hybrid 140 Pro for GBP2500 and I'm very happy with it. I'm 16 stones and I'd like a bit more travel in the rear, but at 50 years old and self-employed, I'm too concerned about injury to bother with jumps or drop offs, so it suits me fine.

At 19 stones, I agree with what others said about hard tails. Buy the bike. You won't be 19 stones for long or you'll be a much fitter 19 stones. My emtb seems to have changed my life. I use it all the time for commutes into town and for single track recreation rides.

Thanks for taking time to post that. I definitely won't be doing drop offs or anything like that, just through local fields/tracks and possibly may commute to work on it which is just along the canal.

Welshman

Subscriber
Nov 8, 2018
South wales
Err, obviously you didn't read my post. I said I couldn't find it for less than 2k, so was asking where jowwy had seen it for that price, I shall wait his answer, thanks
if i clink on your link its under 2k....but thats probable because i get 17% off with platinum discount......
prod170959_Red-Black_NE_01.jpg

£1,991.99
Your Platinum Price
List Price £2,399.99 Save 17%

Welshman

Subscriber
Nov 8, 2018
South wales
there are also loads of cubes available at less than 2.5k that have great specs and can probable bought on c2w schemes.......

eBikeLife

Jan 19, 2019
Bulgaria
I would go for the Giant Fathom e+3 2019. I got that bike, and absolutely amazing. its a hardtail, and i recommend you change the seat. other than that, i honestly think its one of the best bikes i ever tried. Everything is good quality, from gears to wheel, to the engine. No downside on that bike And best of all, its less than 2K

Fathom E+ 3 (2019) | Giant Bicycles UK

rudibryson

May 4, 2019
lancashire
there are also loads of cubes available at less than 2.5k that have great specs and can probable bought on c2w schemes.......

There might well be. However the point of my post is I am pretty clueless with bikes. I do not know good specs, bad spec, this is why I joined what I thought to be a quality forum to ask for advice. However I seem to be struggling for LINKS and proper advice. It seems fairly toxic on the whole. Just read back though the posts I am sure you will agree.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles