Levo Gen 2 Warranty extension & Firmware Update for all 2019/20 Levo/Kenevo with 2.1 motors

Andy A

Patreon
Jan 13, 2019
North Yorkshire
Best not to be first, I dived in on Sept 2018 for one of the first 2019 bikes and had all the issues, motor, cables etc.
Let the early users find the bugs.
My local shop Edinburgh Cycles were great and resolved all issues by the way.

I agree but from feedback on here it's clear this software update isn't right, why wasn't this tested properly as I could have made the 8 hour round trip to get our two bikes done only to find problems when I got home, and that is a drive I do not enjoy it is a long way :)

Pyr0

E*POWAH Master
Sep 22, 2019
Wirral, UK
Seems some shops think the firmware update is a requirement for getting the 4 year warranty..
Specialized in Chester want to keep my bike for a day or so to update it and fit a new power cable.
I can't afford to be without my bike as I need it to commute to work every day :(

Last edited:

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
How many out there have:
Contacted the LBS that they had supported by buying from them.
Arranged to drop in and have it done, 5 min job.
Were not charged.
Have had no problem.
I make it 1 so far.

Pyr0

E*POWAH Master
Sep 22, 2019
Wirral, UK
I've been speaking with my LBS (who aren't really local) in Chester and they've now offered to fit my bike in on Saturday.

Pyr0

E*POWAH Master
Sep 22, 2019
Wirral, UK
yeah good point, plus i use walk mode all the time.
I've emailed them to say I'll hold fire for now as I'd hate to ride all the way there, only to have issues after as the bike is working perfectly right now and I need it every day.
Hopefully they'll still send out the v3 cable

Sep 1, 2018
Newcastle
I agree but from feedback on here it's clear this software update isn't right, why wasn't this tested properly as I could have made the 8 hour round trip to get our two bikes done only to find problems when I got home, and that is a drive I do not enjoy it is a long way :)
Also, how was this announced, if it hadn’t been for this thread I’d be non the wiser

Pyr0

E*POWAH Master
Sep 22, 2019
Wirral, UK
^This.
I have had no contact or notification from my bike shop until I spoke with them and mentioned it.
They said as it was not a re-call situation, Specialized told them customer contact is not necessary

And then they said i need the firmware to get the extended warranty.
" in order for the extended warranty to stand you will need the motor update which is something we can only do in store."

I've told them Specialized Rider Care specifically told us it is only recommended and not required and linked them to his post earlier in the thread.

Last edited:

Andy A

Patreon
Jan 13, 2019
North Yorkshire
yeah good point, plus i use walk mode all the time.
I've emailed them to say I'll hold fire for now as I'd hate to ride all the way there, only to have issues after as the bike is working perfectly right now and I need it every day.
Hopefully they'll still send out the v3 cable

What is the v3 cable? Does that need replacing?

Pyr0

E*POWAH Master
Sep 22, 2019
Wirral, UK
What is the v3 cable? Does that need replacing?
From this thread:
The internal power cables have been prone to splitting near the plug giving error codes and loss of power.
The newest version (v3) is supposed to be improved

Andy A

Patreon
Jan 13, 2019
North Yorkshire
From this thread:
The internal power cables have been prone to splitting near the plug giving error codes and loss of power.
The newest version (v3) is supposed to be improved

Ahh thanks Linda's was split but mine seemed ok but I will get Chris to check again.

Sep 1, 2018
Newcastle
Then it has to be without water, I spray/sprinkle the bike with a hose so that the bike is WET and then use a cloth to clean. Im sure in the UK the bike has to endure more water from rain and from mudpits.
No riding if you get caught in a rain shower? It’s ridiculous it can’t take spray, I understand no jetting but come on it’s designed as a mountain bike with worldwide distribution and as such should be capable to withstand water

Sep 1, 2018
Newcastle
Depends how much protrction you have given it and the direction of your spray. The TCU has no seal between itself and the frame. Any spray sideways on will wet the TCU. The TCU has a seam around its waist and a usb port covered in a rubber bung which may or may not have bern fully secured by the last mechanic to mess with it. Where the TCU cables pasx behind the shock water sprayed direct in that area can be carried by the cables down through the frame to where they connect to the motor pcb.
There are simple solutions.
1.Tape up the TCU with insulating tape...covering the seam , the usb port and connections.
2. Before screwing the TCU back onto the frame smear some grease onto the frame...better still make a gasket.
3. Push some grease into the areas behind the shock where the cables come out and back into the frame.
As the original design should have been

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
No riding if you get caught in a rain shower? It’s ridiculous it can’t take spray, I understand no jetting but come on it’s designed as a mountain bike with worldwide distribution and as such should be capable to withstand water

Cant ride in the wet as it will break, cant wash it to make it clean as it will break, cant use turbo mode as it will break, cant pedal slowly as it will break, cant update it as it will break, if you dont update it it will break, cant push it as it will break...

American design and Swiss engineering at its pinnacle ?‍♂️

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
As the original design should have been
Yes I agree but given those things were not part of the original design and have been highlighted here as simple zero cost methods of preventing electrical problems, riders have 2 options.......breakdown and curse Specialized or spend a few minutes to prevent any problems.
I wash the bike with bucket and sponge having brushed off as much mud etc as I can first. Any hose/spray is as likely to drive mud into bearings etc as wash it away so not the best way to clean it anyway.
I have ridden throughout the wettest mud strewn winter for years including being caught out in heavy driving rain (not by choice!). In addition to the mods mentioned earlier I have made a neoprene cover for the charging port, used motofoam to prevent dirt getting behind the motor covers, and installed the v3 power lead before the original lead could cause a problem. I modified the original lead and have kept it as a spare. None of this cost as much as a bottle of wet lube or took more time than changing a set of pedals.
Never had a single issue with electrical faults.

Vittorio

Aug 11, 2020
Milan, Italy
Thanks for your feedback hope that our experiences help @Specialized Rider Care to find a solution. In the meantime, I do exactly what you say, the first time I lift up the back wheel until the walk engages, no errors on display show...at least this is the workaround I found, I would prefer to push and get the bike move immediately, I really don't get this intentional delay introduced in the last firmware...but have to live with it.
The walk mode takes about a complete crank turn (very slow) to engage a normal speed in walk mode, but if the chain is on the lowest gear (normal condition when I climb steep terrain), and there is some resistance (on steep terrain), and the magnet has just passed the speed sensor, the magnet probably will not reach the speed sensor again (the wheel will turn only 32/42 of the crank turns) before a speed sensor error detection.

I discovered that in Mission Control I have a message in Diagnostic, warning me for an error occurred to the speed sensor 3 days ago (when I tried the walk mode and saw the red bar and the blue just below flashing).
The message recommends to clean the speed sensor
Please Specialized tell me how can dirt impact the magnetic flux from the magnet on the brake disk and the sensor :unsure:
The message also says to restart the bike in order to cancel the message error, but it remains.
I tried also with a reboot, but the error message remains.
The message ends "if you can't delete the error bring tke bike to a Specialized reseller"...

So, in summary, I had to pay in order to update 3 bikes for an update that corrects a Specialized issue, got a quite useless walk mode, got a fake error (clearly subsequent to the use of walk mode), and now I have to bring again the bike to a reseller and pay again for a Specialized mistake ? :(

Please, Specialized, test a bit better before relasing updates.
In this forum I'm not alone getting error message consequent walk mode, and how many people has used walk mode ?
I'm sure you can reproduce it easily.
We're waiting for a soon update, user installable (at least for user already at 7.3.6), restoring a usable walk mode and allowing to delete the error message too (ok, I read the message and understand it, the error is stored in memory, now give me the choice to keep or cancel the message and store my answer in the log, if you like)

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Cant ride in the wet as it will break, cant wash it to make it clean as it will break, cant use turbo mode as it will break, cant pedal slowly as it will break, cant update it as it will break, if you dont update it it will break, cant push it as it will break...

American design and Swiss engineering at its pinnacle ?‍♂️
Add to the mix some British pragmatism and ingenuity and bingo!!

timmers

How many out there have:
Were not charged.
Have had no problem.
I make it 1 so far.

Add another one to your list. Purchased the 2020 Turbo Levo first week in July. Had the new firmware installed about 10 days ago. Didn't cost me anything for that, but I did buy a new pair of flat pedals while I was in my LBS, so I did spend some money - hah! I've also discovered the motor in mine has a Dec 2019 serial number (using Mission Control, easy to find out). Bike has functioned fine since Day 1 of purchase. Still following this thread, regardless, as I learned about the 4 yr warranty extension from it - so this has been helpful to me.

bikeguy11

Subscriber
Oct 9, 2019
Oregon
Yes I agree but given those things were not part of the original design and have been highlighted here as simple zero cost methods of preventing electrical problems, riders have 2 options.......breakdown and curse Specialized or spend a few minutes to prevent any problems.
I wash the bike with bucket and sponge having brushed off as much mud etc as I can first. Any hose/spray is as likely to drive mud into bearings etc as wash it away so not the best way to clean it anyway.
I have ridden throughout the wettest mud strewn winter for years including being caught out in heavy driving rain (not by choice!). In addition to the mods mentioned earlier I have made a neoprene cover for the charging port, used motofoam to prevent dirt getting behind the motor covers, and installed the v3 power lead before the original lead could cause a problem. I modified the original lead and have kept it as a spare. None of this cost as much as a bottle of wet lube or took more time than changing a set of pedals.
Never had a single issue with electrical faults.
I haven't had any issues with my 2020 Turbo Levo in terms of riding in the wet or washing. I do, however, use 3m clear plastic packing tape to put over the charge port opening and openings between the frame and battery. I add some over the TCU when washing. A bit OCD I admit but seems like a cheap type of insurance. Agreed we shouldn't have to worry about issues like this with an e mountain bike.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I haven't had any issues with my 2020 Turbo Levo in terms of riding in the wet or washing. I do, however, use 3m clear plastic packing tape to put over the charge port opening and openings between the frame and battery. I add some over the TCU when washing. A bit OCD I admit but seems like a cheap type of insurance. Agreed we shouldn't have to worry about issues like this with an e mountain bike.
Not OCD...thats just a sensible precaution.

jsharpe

May 15, 2019
USA
How many out there have:
Were not charged.
Have had no problem.
I make it 1 so far.
Add me to that list. Actually when I purchased it from them back in March I specifically said I was buying it from them as opposed to one of larger dealers further away in a large city was to have local support such as firmware updates. I wasn't disappointed, either when I needed the motor replaced, or for the motor firmware update. (I'm still waiting for a warranty replacement charger from Rockshox-SRAM but that isn't the fault of my lbs.)

Canakris

Jul 30, 2019
belgium

They swapped the cables to the motor, i'll clean it later today, let's see how that goes.

Exactly, a rainshower is identical or even worse then how I clean the bike. I would've also expected that this was more or less covered by the design, but I also understand that it remains something electronical and if there's a breach somewhere, might be difficult to find or repair.

I also told my LBS about this thread and the extended warrantly + the firmware...which he hadn't done, but after my asking, it was a 3 minute free of charge update.

Anyhow, back to the trails.

Fiord

Aug 3, 2020
New Zealand
@Jsmithjr732 / @Fiord / @Reap3r - thanks for the question here. Need to dig a little deeper so please give me a few days. I may PM you for some bike serial numbers, hold fire for now.

Have been waiting for an official statement however just wanted to update those affected parties with my experience in the meantime.
My LBS have advised me that they will offer me a 4 year warranty for customer peace of mind on the 2019 motor or they will swap it out for the 2021 motor in which case it will only get the 2 year warranty.
That's great customer service which I am very impressed with being new to Specialized.
Perhaps @Specialized Rider Care could update the other owners here with MY2021 bikes with a 2019 motor who must be waiting for some feedback.

Fiord

Aug 3, 2020
New Zealand
Have been waiting for an official statement however just wanted to update those affected parties with my experience in the meantime.
My LBS have advised me that they will offer me a 4 year warranty for customer peace of mind on the 2019 motor or they will swap it out for the 2021 motor in which case it will only get the 2 year warranty.
That's great customer service which I am very impressed with being new to Specialized.
Perhaps @Specialized Rider Care could update the other owners here with MY2021 bikes with a 2019 motor who must be waiting for some feedback.
Sorry I should have included the original post. The above relates to those who have just purchased new MY2021 bikes with old 2019 motors.

RodC

May 28, 2020
Queretaro, Mexico
Get the 19 motor And enjoy the warranty. If it blows up, you’ll get the 21, 22 or 23 motor

Fiord

Aug 3, 2020
New Zealand
Get the 19 motor And enjoy the warranty. If it blows up, you’ll get the 21, 22 or 23 motor
Yes that's my preferred option. I'm reluctant to do the firmware update though at this stage until it is perhaps updated again to address some of the issues being raised here, particularly rider assist issues it seems. I suspect some other people having problems to do with the speed sensor after the update, may be due to them using some type of power derestrictors ??

salko

Aug 29, 2019
SLO
2020 Levo com- motor died a screaming death at 827 miles. Cynergy Cycles replaced my motor in 24hrs. I was expecting a two week wait based on all I read on the many forums. Well done Cynergy & Specialized. Back on the trail soon. Seems they have a supply of motors ready and waiting for 2019/2020 owners. Well done all round. does how can I check the date my ”new“ motor was made ? Someway to read the serial number I think.
new engine number is: E01680-100190926-2-5146
This one was made 26.9.2019.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles